Mystery Game No Hitters

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

kenhutchings

Mystery Game No Hitters

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 2:19 pm

I've made this suggestion before on another thread, but will do it again since I just experienced it.

Sam McDowell just pitched a no-hitter for me in a 60s league that I'm competing in.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/447013/358

I realize that the Mystery game being what it is, we can't review the game with the dice rolls, but I'm always curious when there is a no hitter as to how many close calls there were, such as:
1) split card chances going in the pitcher's favor
2) the number of X fielding chances
3) avoiding a hit in a batter's good column
4) ball park home run/single chances

Thus, I have thought it would be nice if we could have a review of the game available with dice rolls and those events following the reveal at the end of the season. This would have to be limited to noteworthy games, but a no-hitter does fall into that category, in my opinion. :)

Runnin Rebel

Re: Mystery Game No Hitters

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 11:02 pm

I had the same question recently in the 70's League when Fergie Jenkins lost a Perfect Game with a single to lead-off the ninth.

I already know the answer will be a RESOUNDING "NO" because it defeats the integrity of the whole Mystery Concept. But to put my mind at ease, I would like to know if it was a clean single off the Hitter's Card, was it a hanging pitch off the Pitcher's card, or if it was an X-factor where it somehow snuck through the hole.

I guess we'll never know.

coyote303

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 4:14 pm

My last team had a no-hitter thrown by Dick Donovan that was one batter away from a perfect game. However, I know exactly what happened: Ironically, slick fielding Luis Aparicio committed an error against the 27th batter, light-hitting Chris Cannizzaro. Can you imagine how bad my shortstop would feel if this were real life?!

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/444117/926

I'm not sure knowing how I lost the perfect game makes me feel any better!

kenhutchings

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 4:40 pm

coyote303 wrote:I know exactly what happened: Ironically, slick fielding Luis Aparicio committed an error against the 27th batter, light-hitting Chris Cannizzaro.

It's easy to understand what happened. Cannizzaro hit a slow roller to SS, and Aparicio rushed the throw to first base. The scorekeeper was being kind to him. :)

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s