Pitchers not getting the hook

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bpugliesi

Pitchers not getting the hook

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 am

I have Guidry and Jack Morris on my roster. It seems like they end up throwing way too many pitches. In one case I had Morris in the B9 pitching with a pitch count of 160. He got in trouble yet did not get the hook. I checked my pitcher preferences and nothing checked that would allow him to stay in the game.

Anything I can do to have these guys taken out of the game when they get in trouble?

shif6

Re: Pitchers not getting the hook

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 11:35 am

You can limit the number of innings they pitch in pitcher preferences, but with good pitchers, I would not do this without thinking long and hard and only with a good bullpen. Also I would look in the play by play to see if they were fatigued. F9 in the far right means no fatigue. Typically, I think, HAL will remove when the pitcher is fatigued.

surfdoc37

Re: Pitchers not getting the hook

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 1:47 pm

bpugliesi wrote:I have Guidry and Jack Morris on my roster. It seems like they end up throwing way too many pitches. In one case I had Morris in the B9 pitching with a pitch count of 160. He got in trouble yet did not get the hook. I checked my pitcher preferences and nothing checked that would allow him to stay in the game.

Anything I can do to have these guys taken out of the game when they get in trouble?

Hey, I also had this with my first team, featuring Len Barker and Dan Petry, average guys, going 8, 9, 11 innings while my costly relievers languished.

There are three settings to manipulate. Quick versus slow versus unspecified hook. Maximum IP. And do not relieve until "FX" fatigue level. If you set that third one, it seems to trump all the others and you will see some long outings. Fatigue is tough to figure and essentially doesn't seem to happen early no matter how brutal the pounding.

Also, ignore the pitch counts. You are not going to shorten Guidry's career by fragging his arm, and cyber-Guidry does not need an extra day of rest after a long outing like that. So don't make the mistake I did of assuming that is the case and running your lousy #6 starter out there.

In general, "rode hard and put away wet" ought to guide the usage of your best/most expensive pitchers. So just be sure, if you are going to act to shorten the outings of Morris and Guidry, that somebody equal or better will be replacing them.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s