Smoking out bad relief pitcher cards

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

shif6

Smoking out bad relief pitcher cards

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 6:48 pm

I have 3 relief pitchers off to bad starts and a 4th who clearly should be the mopup. My closer is pitching well. I have thought of listing him as setup and as closer leaving the other roles undefined. Will HAL help me sort this out?

shif6

Re: Smoking out bad relief pitcher cards

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 11:25 am

My closer Hough was not available in a game yesterday. Moffitt (an r3) pitched 4 innings and got a save despite fatigue. Meanwhile a more expensive pitcher, Littell, was available and sat on the bench. I had picked him up recently and in his only outing he gave up six earned runs in two innings. Does this give me information about Littell?

shif6

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 11:25 am

My closer Hough was not available in a game yesterday. Moffitt (an r3) pitched 4 innings and got a save despite fatigue. Meanwhile a more expensive pitcher, Littell, was available and sat on the bench. I had picked him up recently and in his only outing he gave up six earned runs in two innings. Does this give me information about Littell?

dcmt

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Relief pitching is the hardest thing to figure out in mystery leagues...and probably the most unfair position. It's nearly impossible to replicate a good relief pitcher's best seasons. I will often leave all my pitcher's settings blank for the first couple weeks of a season. If the game engine is consistently choosing a $1 M reliever over a $4-5 M reliever in high leverage situations you probably have a bad card for the expensive guy and a good card for the cheap one. Best way to figure out a reliever is to look at the L/R splits...also if the rolls are equal or in favor of the pitcher check the BB/K to try and get a feel for the season.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s