Mitchell Page and Gene Richards

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

kenhutchings

Mitchell Page and Gene Richards

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:00 pm

While researching on Baseball Reference about the 1977 season, the name of Mitchell Page jumped out at me. He finished number 2 in the Rookie of the Year voting, and for the four year span between 1977 and 1980 he was pretty much a full time player, playing at least 110 games each year. https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... mi02.shtml

It begs the question.. there are unfortunately a sizable number of players who should have been included in the 70s game; was the exclusion of Mitchell Page an oversight, or was he excluded because any fifth season would have had at most 101 plate appearances? I realize that Rick Auerbach is in the player set with less PAs per season, so it would seem that the latter argument wouldn't have any bearing, so it would have to be an oversight.

One definition oversight from the 1970s set is Gene Richards. https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ge01.shtml

The 70s game is in desperate need of upgrading (and I realize I'm preaching to the choir). :(

franky35

Re: Mitchell Page and Gene Richards

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:52 pm

I agree with you, but Richards and Page had only 3 seasons in the 70s so they'll need to include 80 and 81 for both of them. And Rick Auerbach should be taken out of the 70s set because it is stupid that '78 Rick Auerbach is the best hitter in the league vs lefties. There is a thread somewhere for 70s players that should be added in, but if SOM is going to update a set it has got to be the 80s which is by far the set most in need of improvements and repricing. Of course, we're all waiting for the 2000s also. btw, Richards had 712 PA in 1980 which I thought was a lot, but it is nowhere near the record of 778 held by Jimmy Rollins. I was expecting to see a lot of 90s players in the list of top PA, but Dykstra is the only 90s player in the top 19. The list is mostly leadoff players with Pete Rose making the list a ton of times while Ripken is nowhere near the top - the top Oriole on the list is Brady Anderson.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s