help with odd questions

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

dcmt

help with odd questions

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 10:03 am

Been playing mystery game for ten years and I'm well aware that even over the entire season the cards don't always play out as you think they should...I have an 80s team off to a terrible start so I've been pouring over every data set looking for clues and I noticed a couple things I can't figure out...minor things, but maybe one of you has an answer. First, I picked up Floyd Youmans after he was injured and released. He was injured allowing a homer to Leon Durham (a lefty hitter) in this game: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 440162/101 So I concluded that he must be 1986 as that seemed to be the only possibility (a ballpark homer possibility on a 6-12 roll) and he was not fatigued. But later I noticed that it showed that Youmans had not allowed a ballpark homer for his previous team (and that Durham had not yet hit a ballpark homer)...any thoughts? Secondly, last night Greg Pryor appeared in his first game and hit 2 doubles and flew out. But the stat sheet showed him with 2 rolls on his card and none on the pitcher's card. Where's the 3rd roll? There were no hit and run situations applicable. Minor things, but this combined with the horrible start by so many hitters (not just my team) has me scratching my head....

paul8210

Re: help with odd questions

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Weird. This is probably not the right answer, but, Royals Stadium is 1-2 for ballpark homers. The 6-12 result was #HR 1-2, 3-20 flyout.

Maybe, the fact Durham didn't get "aided" by the ballpark dimension counts as a regular home run. Had the result been #HR 1,2-20 flyout, perhaps, Durham and Youmans would have been credited with ballpark homer because the homer would have been interpreted as ballpark aided.

But, in any case, I would say it's a game engine bug, which is a shame for anyone trying to piece together a puzzle when looking at this stuff.

dcmt

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks Paul...I wrote support as well. It's not that I'm upset but after 10 years I'd like to understand all the rules and possibilities. I'll let you know if I get an answer.

dcmt

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 1:54 pm

A friend of mine who is a lot smarter than I am sent me this....

I was thinking about the home run robbing rule. If a homerun/flyout split comes up and the 20 sided dice lands on the last one for the homer or first one for the flyout (a 2 or 3 in this case) the outfielder will have a chance to rob the homerun. If the OF is a 1 it's a 1-3 HR, a 2 it's a 1-7 HR and so on. This is only on those 2 split cards on homerun/flyout splits. It could be - it's actually a decent chance that Durham rolled a 2 on the 20 sided dice for the homer (had to be a 1 or 2) and the system had to check the homerun robbing rule. It may be that once it had left the ballpark chart it failed to note it as a ballpark homer. It's still a mistake, it's just a possible explanation.

paul8210

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 2:21 pm

dcmt wrote:A friend of mine who is a lot smarter than I am sent me this....

I was thinking about the home run robbing rule. If a homerun/flyout split comes up and the 20 sided dice lands on the last one for the homer or first one for the flyout (a 2 or 3 in this case) the outfielder will have a chance to rob the homerun. If the OF is a 1 it's a 1-3 HR, a 2 it's a 1-7 HR and so on. This is only on those 2 split cards on homerun/flyout splits. It could be - it's actually a decent chance that Durham rolled a 2 on the 20 sided dice for the homer (had to be a 1 or 2) and the system had to check the homerun robbing rule. It may be that once it had left the ballpark chart it failed to note it as a ballpark homer. It's still a mistake, it's just a possible explanation.

Doubtful, because the "robbing" rule was implemented by SOM in 2001 and I wouldn't think older game engines would be affected, unless it was advertised in the SOM ballpark homer explanation.

coyote303

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 3:30 pm

My best guess is it didn't count it as a ballpark homerun because of the injury--in other words, faulty programming.

I wish support would look into it and explain, and better yet see that this glitch (whatever is causing it) eventually gets fixed.

dcmt

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 5:42 pm

thanks...they have yet to reply

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s