New League: Determine the best team of the 70s

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Musial6

Re: New League: Determine the best team of the 70s

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 3:45 pm

The BC Manager wrote:
YountFan wrote:Doesn’t a $140m cap gives the teams like to Reds a real advantage ?

For the record, I also don't think the team that gets the Reds is a shoe-in. I've been doing some team ratings in preparation this league, and I don't currently have the Reds rated as 1st - though that may be because my rating system is flawed.

The mystery card element also helps even the playing field. You could get the Reds, but still get a bunch of lousy cards for their best players.

There are definitely different tiers to the teams that will be selected. That's why the division alignment works. The best teams will have to battle with the other so-called best teams in the East, and so-on. I'd kind of like the challenge of having a team in the Central or West and trying to knock off the teams in the East. Having said that, I'll take a top-4 pick if I happen to get it.

" I'll take a top-4 pick if I happen to get it." .............and those would be............????? :roll:

The BC Manager

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Musial6 wrote:
The BC Manager wrote:
YountFan wrote:Doesn’t a $140m cap gives the teams like to Reds a real advantage ?

For the record, I also don't think the team that gets the Reds is a shoe-in. I've been doing some team ratings in preparation this league, and I don't currently have the Reds rated as 1st - though that may be because my rating system is flawed.

The mystery card element also helps even the playing field. You could get the Reds, but still get a bunch of lousy cards for their best players.

There are definitely different tiers to the teams that will be selected. That's why the division alignment works. The best teams will have to battle with the other so-called best teams in the East, and so-on. I'd kind of like the challenge of having a team in the Central or West and trying to knock off the teams in the East. Having said that, I'll take a top-4 pick if I happen to get it.

" I'll take a top-4 pick if I happen to get it." .............and those would be............????? :roll:

Cleveland, Texas, Washington or Toronto :D

The BC Manager

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 4:44 pm

1. JJB92
2. FALCON29
3. BC Manager
4. LMBombers
5. YountFan
6. Musial6
7. powellcrosleyjr
8. RonSanto
9.RICHARDGAGNON
10. franky35
11. jcheney

Just one to go! Anyone want to do any recruiting?

PowellCrosleyJr

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

I advertised in a league I am in.

JJB92

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Wow. Miss a little miss a lot. I was monitoring the board frequently during the day on Monday and Tuesday but had a busy day at work so I’m just checking in now. For what it’s worth, the Reds are likely an Eastern division team but I could see them falling in the draft. The mystery card is really a great equalizer.

Everyone who sent me their email should have received the player file. If you havent sent me your email address, please do so. There’s a chance we will have the draft order tonight.

YountFan

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Player who are tagged to multiple franchises, like Mike Caldwell, are available to all of them?
Posted by the real YountFan

JJB92

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 pm

YountFan wrote:'

Player who are tagged to multiple franchises, like Mike Caldwell, are available to all of them?

Only the players listed on the Excel sheet for the team you draft are available to you. All other players are ineligible. Mike Caldwell was assigned to the Brewers based on innings pitched and since the Brewers didn't have enough players to form a team, Mike won't be joining us for the fun in this league.

The BC Manager

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Everyone needs to be clear on the rules before we draft and everyone should have the spreadsheet. Column J on the Hitters tab and Column O on the Pitchers tab indicate who is available to each team. There are no 'free agents'. If your roster has a weakness you're going to have to trade to address it. This isn't your usual team-based them league (which is why I like it).

tdkearns

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

I’ll take the last spot.

. JJB92
2. FALCON29
3. BC Manager
4. LMBombers
5. YountFan
6. Musial6
7. powellcrosleyjr
8. RonSanto
9.RICHARDGAGNON
10. franky35
11. jcheney
12. tdKearns

JJB92

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 pm

BC--thanks for your input. You may want to consider the size of the roster for the teams available for selection. Teams with more players available to them may be a better choice than a team with fewer options. There definitely won't be a mad dash to drop players and replace them with similarly talented players.

I've asked for someone in the 20XX forum to run a randomizer to determine the draft order. That will (hopefully) be run tonight and the draft order should be available shortly.

I'm going to move future discussions to the Individual League Chat forum--I've started a thread over there--the title is
Best Team of the 70s--team draft and more. I included the league rules for reference purposes.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s