Frank Robinson

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

franky35

Frank Robinson

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm

My favorite quote about a baseball player is from Jim Bouton's Ball Four describing a Seattle Pilots' pitcher's meeting discussing where to pitch hitters in the upcoming series: "it was decided that we should pitch Frank Robinson underground." I am old enough that Frank Robinson was the first player I ever rooted for. In my kid's mind I loved Frank Robinson. He and Brooks were an amazing couple of players on the Orioles of that era. Even though he played for the Reds in the 60s, he is still the Reds' all-time leader in slugging % (by far). Traded at age 30 for Milt Pappas in the dumbest trade of all-time in any sport, he earned the MVP in 1966 and led the O's to six great years including 2 world series championships and 3 straight seasons (69-71) of over 100 wins under Earl Weaver. Those days of baseball's greatness are in the past.

PowellCrosleyJr

Re: Frank Robinson

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 2:41 pm

My father and grand father use to take me to games at Crosley field in the early 60's. We always sat on the third base side (per my memory). My father was a thrifty man so he got me obstructed view seats all the time. Sitting behind a girder only allowed me a view of left and centerfield. I was always allowed to buy a small telescope so I spent the game watching Frank through that toy. Since he was the only player I watched he, of course, became my favorite player. Needless to say my young heart was broken when he was traded to Baltimore. I kept rooting for the Reds but, added the Orioles to one of my favorites and followed them while he was there.

A few years ago I decided to grab my boys and take them to Great American for a game. Just by chance it was Frank Robinson bobble head night. Funny how things happen.

Frank Robinson remains my all time favorite. Thanks for the memories Frank!

coyote303

Re: Frank Robinson

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 3:02 pm

I had a Post cereal Frank Robinson baseball card when I was a kid--wish I still had it! I think it was for the 1962 season.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s