How to (Almost) Destroy a Season in Two Days

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

coyote303

How to (Almost) Destroy a Season in Two Days

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 pm

The season with my 60s Denver Destroyers was almost destroyed in two days:

Day 2 of destruction: Games 157-159 were about to be played. I had a 4-game lead for the wild card and the team that was chasing me was in my division. I had three games at home against the weakest team in my division, and the other team was playing the formidable division leader. Magic number was 3. As you guessed, I lost all three and the team chasing me won all three. My lead was now one game with three to play.

Day 1 of destruction: Going way back to game 16, Johnny Romano got injured revealing (for the second season in a row for me) that he had his stinker year. No problem. I had my eye on the under-performing Romano, and my plan B was to pick up Ed Bailey. The left-handed hitting Bailey would be a fine fit in my ballpark. Except, the best team in my division picked up Bailey a couple of days before. Worse, Bailey had a monster year, and he helped the leaders cruise to the best run differential and win-loss record in the league.

Fortunately, it wasn't over. I was playing at home against the team chasing me; I had to win two games. It came down to game 162, and we pulled out a 1-run victory.

My team started hot (8-3) but then lost 10 games in a row. They bottomed out at game 39 at 16-23, they had a negative run differential, and it looked like a lost season. However, with mystery leagues, there is always hope. A couple of key pickups and figuring out which starters to use led to a turnaround. This team was probably the most exciting and most frustrating I have ever managed.

Playoffs start Monday.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1488638

coyote303

Re: How to (Almost) Destroy a Season in Two Days

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 12:32 am

In the semi-finals, my team won the first three games but lost the next three. We took game 7.

In the finals we won, lost, won, lost, won, lost, won.

Thus, my team went down to the last game of the season to get into the playoffs, last game of the semi-finals to get into the finals, and last game of the finals to take the title. Can anyone else make that claim?!

PS. Also today, my senior softball team took both games against the team we were tied with to take the regular season championship. I'd say today was a pretty good day! :P

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s