Reliever loophole / salaries

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

tdkearns

Reliever loophole / salaries

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm

1. I've been reading some posts and saw references to a reliever loophole. Some reliever with an R5 rating pitched 400 innings in a league. It was an early 1900's card. What is the reliever loophole?

2. Are salaries supposed to be fair evaluation of the value of a player in the mystery card leagues? If so , what is everyone's view?

Is there a website or ebook that som players rely on fir tips?

dcmt

Re: Reliever loophole / salaries

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 3:36 pm

That reliever "loophole" is not really applicable in the Mystery Game...certainly not to the extent it is in ATG. There has been years of discussion here on the pricing of mystery cards...many have called for the selective decreasing of some cards that never seem to get used much as well as an increase on some cards that are always used and harder to get. Generally I think people would agree that the 80s is the "worst" priced set but it would probably take a paragraph to explain why and then the next post would probably blow my theory out of the water. Many would love to see new cards added to each of the decades to go along with a pricing realign but that seems highly unlikely. As far as mystery leagues go pretty much the best help is the pinned post here about help with cards for new managers.

coyote303

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm

I don't play 70s anymore and one of the reasons is the poor pricing. For example, I remember Roger Repoz. If you were guaranteed his best year, his card still isn't worth the asking price. I don't disagree that 80s is even worse; I simply never played it.

On your other point, because fatigue for relief pitchers is so poorly done, good relievers do sometimes/often get overused.

PowellCrosleyJr

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I just took a look at Repoz. He is very good defensively, plays 3 outfield positions plus first base. He has a bit of power and his 71 card is better than ok. I would absolutely give Roger a try (for about 50% less than what he's at).

I do think the vast majority of cards are priced according to their true value. They just have to be on right team in the right park, etc.

It would be nice to see some new cards but, I can't think of any one that would really make a difference in their decade. Billy Grabarkewitz would not change things up.

Now I don't know why the mystery set needs to be limited to a single decade.

AdamKatz

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 4:17 pm

The values are supposed to be fair, but whatever method they made to value players was not perfect. Most people think the values got better with each game. 80s to 70s to 90s to 60s. Still, if everyone was perfectly valued, all the players would be equally in demand and I think the draft would be a little more boring.

There isnt a website that I know of. If you dig real deep on the message board you might find some good links. the board is not 20% as a active as it was years ago.

If you ask fairly specific questions, people will answer, but slowly.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s