closer roll

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

pyramid1

closer roll

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 8:28 am

at the start of the season I designated Tom Niedenfuer as the mop up guy and through the first twenty games he pitched 2.2 innings and gave up two hits no walks and no runs while striking out two batters and has a WHIP of .76. I decided to give him a chance as the closer and he has not seen the light of day since and I have just played game fourty-two last night. Should I assume he is on his crap card and HAL does not want to bring him in?

coyote303

Re: closer roll

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Very odd if you listed him as your first closer option for him not to have pitched. If he's your second save option, HAL will only use him if your first option is fatigued.

However, I wouldn't be "giving him a chance" based on less than 3 innings pitched.

pyramid1

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I had him as my one and only closer...not a sniff of an inning pitched...last night I moved him back to the mop up roll and he pitched three innings and didn't give up any hits...this is beyond me...

Radagast Brown

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 12:21 pm

That's part of the mystery... Three good innings, or five good innings is not enough to tell. You should be looking at how many rolls have been on his card, and how many on the batters' cards, etc... Best of luck!

Mumford

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:05 pm

pyramid1 wrote:I had him as my one and only closer...not a sniff of an inning pitched...last night I moved him back to the mop up roll and he pitched three innings and didn't give up any hits...this is beyond me...

DO you have closer set to Maximum? If so turn it off and make him closer and setup.

pyramid1

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:That's part of the mystery... Three good innings, or five good innings is not enough to tell. You should be looking at how many rolls have been on his card, and how many on the batters' cards, etc... Best of luck!

I know what the mystery leagues are all about...but if he is not used then how can you figure it out... he has now been used (sparingly I might add) and now has a WHIP of 1.00 .

pyramid1

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Mumford wrote:
pyramid1 wrote:I had him as my one and only closer...not a sniff of an inning pitched...last night I moved him back to the mop up roll and he pitched three innings and didn't give up any hits...this is beyond me...

DO you have closer set to Maximum? If so turn it off and make him closer and setup.

no...I have the closer set to "regular"...he just will not be brought in at all so I have now set him as my middle man...he now has a whopping eight innings pitched with a WHIP of 1.00 .
might I also add that I have Hrbek on his /84 card in a different league and after 269 AB he is batting .233 WITH 11 hrs...also frustrating.

paul8210

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Who, if not Niedenfuer, is getting most of the closer opportunities?

Review your other assigned roles that might be positioned higher than closer role. The pitcher in that role could be preventing Niedenfuer from getting many closer opportunities. For example, if Miller is setup and setup is slotted higher in your bullpen role preferences list than closer, then, the setup guy might be pitching all the way through the ninth inning without HAL trying to replace him. Positioning 'closer' above 'setup' might solve that problem.

pyramid1

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 2:56 pm

paul8210 wrote:Who, if not Niedenfuer, is getting most of the closer opportunities?

Review your other assigned roles that might be positioned higher than closer role. The pitcher in that role could be preventing Niedenfuer from getting many closer opportunities. For example, if Miller is setup and setup is slotted higher in your bullpen role preferences list than closer, then, the setup guy might be pitching all the way through the ninth inning without HAL trying to replace him. Positioning 'closer' above 'setup' might solve that problem.

thanks man...very helpful information...he had a crap night last night as a middle man...just trying to get him some innings to figure out what card he is on.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s