Some mystery card identification questions

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Snakefinger

Some mystery card identification questions

PostTue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm

So I played the 80s game a fair bit some years ago, but find I am quite rusty as I get back into it now. Just started a new team, had the first games last night. I understand the game's been tweaked a little since I last played, making it a little harder to make card judgments based on HAL's unprompted choices?

I left the DH slot against LHP open on my lineups last night, looking to see if HAL's choice in the one game I was facing a lefty starter might help guide my view of available players. HAL picked hard righty balanced Bonilla over the two cheaper players I had on call for potential DH duty against LHP - Leon Roberts and Tim Laudner. Is that decision by HAL at all illuminating with regard to the value of the two cheap-os against LHP? Or should I play those two guys to see what their performance is before making any call? I guess the question is: if HAL chooses a player from amongst a group of available possibilities, does that choice tell you which of those players has the best card?

Same sort of question with regard to HAL bullpen choices: I left bullpen roles blank, hoping to learn something from HAL's pattern of substituting relievers. If you've got a string of .75 RPs and SP/RPs and HAL selects one for relief duty in a close game, is there anything about that choice that distinguished the selected pitcher from the ones not selected? Or must one allow your pitchers to pile up some IPs before making any judgment?

Finally, in the 8th inning facing Goose Gossage, HAL pinch hit for 5.41mil Dave Henderson, bringing in sub-1mil R.J. Reynolds (who went on to go 0-2 in extra innings). I know Henderson is balanced against lefty pitching, but should that pinch hit substitution by HAL signal something discouraging about which year I landed for Henderson? Or something good about Reynolds?

Sorry for the newbie Qs. Oh also - is there another forum that is good to check in addition to this one? I seem to recall back when I played before that more activity was seen in the forums, people seeking input as to their new teams, etc. I don't see that here so much.

AdamKatz

Re: Some mystery card identification questions

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:38 pm

I believe this forum is it. It is alot slower than it used to be.

They changed the game so that HALs lineup substitutions when you leave lineup slots blank are based purely on position and the cost of the player. You can not read anything into Bonilla being picked. Literaly nothing.

You can learn something from who HAL pinch hits and relief pitches but it is inconsistent. I would say 3 out of 5 times he pitches one of your best pitchers in save situations, but many times he doesnt.

The only think I think you can really rely on from HAL without racking up IPs or ABs is when HAL ph for a player. If HAL phs for George Brett against a right handed pitcher, you should probably dump Brett. The player he substituted for Brett may, or may not, be the best pinch hitter against righties you have on your bench.

Henderson is probably in 85 or 90. 90 is a monster against lefties but 5.41 million is alot of money for a guy who Id only play against lefties. Reynolds may be in one of his better years, or he may just be less bad than Henderson.

The Conndor

PostTue May 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Adam mostly answered everything I would have said above, and quite well.

Overall, you have to be more patient in figuring these things out than you used to. There are very few instances where HAL does something that absolutely without a doubt means that "X" player is on a particular year.

The idea of leaving the lineup empty and letting HAL fill it in was getting abused, which is why it doesn't work anymore.

Snakefinger

PostTue May 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks very much for the input. I do love this game.

Chris Franco

PostWed May 31, 2017 7:43 am

The Conndor wrote:
Overall, you have to be more patient in figuring these things out than you used to. There are very few instances where HAL does something that absolutely without a doubt means that "X" player is on a particular year.

The idea of leaving the lineup empty and letting HAL fill it in was getting abused, which is why it doesn't work anymore.

Which is how it should be.
Good fix by Strat

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s