1970s - Reggie Jackson

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Orioles89

1970s - Reggie Jackson

PostSun May 28, 2017 5:14 pm

I am pretty new to this game, still doing inefficient things like mixing SP* and SP. A question about Reggie Jackson. Have been in a handful of 1970s mystery leagues and have looked through others and he's a guy who often seems to get cut. His numbers are bad at the time and he ends the year as a free agent.

Is his a card where you just have to have some patience, ride out the down times and count on the numbers being there at the end of the year? Or is he one of those players like Jim Palmer, Pete Vuckovich or Rusty Staub who never seems to meet the numbers on his card, even when it's not his one bad year? At least those three examples have struggled in leagues I've been in. Mike Schmidt could be another but he's mixed in a good year or two.

I have the Jackson card right now and he has 1 double in 40-some at-bats facing pretty much all RHP. On one hand I wonder if that is his bad year when he hit only 21 doubles but on the other trying to reach a conclusion on a sample size of 40 at-bats probably isn't the smartest thing to do, either. The problem I have also found after drafts is that left-handed sluggers on the waiver wire are pretty scarce. Usually a guy like Jim Northrup is about the best left.

Don't know if questions from newer members get answered on this board (or if we're forced to fend for ourselves, not sure of the unwritten rules here) and you have to be more of a veteran or contributor but thought I would give it a try.

Chris Franco

Re: 1970s - Reggie Jackson

PostMon May 29, 2017 12:48 pm

I played in a 1970s mystery league once.
Drafted Jackson.
Was dealt his 1969 card.
In the Sim he hit 43 Homeruns and had a 1.014 ops for me.

franky35

PostMon May 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Don't know if questions from newer members get answered on this board (or if we're forced to fend for ourselves, not sure of the unwritten rules here) and you have to be more of a veteran or contributor but thought I would give it a try.

This is a good place to get your questions answered. I have seen Reggie have good or great years. And, yes, 40 AB is way too early to judge unless he's had an injury or he gets pulled for a pinch hitter (which I can't imagine ever happening).

coyote303

PostTue May 30, 2017 11:07 am

The first key to success in the mystery card game is determining if a player has a good card. The least reliable way to determine if someone has a decent year is looking at his results. For example in my current league after 316 at bats, I was certain I had (60s) Dick Stuart's best card; he was having a great year for me. Then he got injured, and I could see I only have his 4th-best card.

Study this thread and learn how to read cards: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=807

The first (pinned) topic in this subforum also has good information.

The second key to success is to base your personnel decisions on which card a player has (or you think he has). NEVER drop a good card simply because he is slumping or under-performing.

There are a few players you will want to keep no matter which season they have. Other players might have four great years and one stinker year. In that case, you won't sleep until you can determine they are on one of their good years!

Looking at Reggie specifically, I would hope for an injury early in the season and then do this:

Groundball injury shows his 1970 season--his worst. I would see if someone better is available.
HBP injury shows his 1975 season. I might keep him, but I would platoon him to only start against right-handed starters.

PS. In my Stuart's case, I will keep him. The 60s set has a limited number of quality players, it's late in the season so there is a 20-percent drop penalty, and his card isn't bad even though it's not one of his best. Moral: In some cases an okay card is your best option.

The Conndor

PostTue May 30, 2017 7:58 pm

You are correct about the lack of lefty power in the 70s set. His mediocre cards are more worth hanging on to in some cases simply because there aren't going to be better options available in free agency.

Another point to add to franky's (excellent) suggestions: consider the ball park you are playing in and the parks of the other teams in your leagues. Also, check the results of the "dice" rolls you have been getting (SIM MISC tab on your team's front office page). Have you been playing in pitcher's parks for the most part? Has your player just been having a rotten string of luck and most of his results have been on the pitchers's cards? I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed a quality starting pitcher off the waiver wire because someone else dumped him after a few starts... and those starts were in places like Fulton County Stadium or Coors Field.

Without an injury reveal, 40 ABs is way, way too soon to dump someone as expensive and vital to your team as Reggie. And like franky said, a merely mediocre or "OK" card can be your best option depending on circumstance.

YountFan

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 9:32 pm

He is pretty good historical. But individual season really vary

https://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=45 ... :735835,70
Posted by the real YountFan

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s