Terrible start

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Chief78

Terrible start

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Well, I drafted an 80's team and all is not well. We are 9 games in and 1-8. Everyone on the team is just not hitting anything. I mean really, on 4 players over .200 BA and low 200's at that. Lloyd Mosby is batting .000 even though he has played every inning. I think its time for him to pick some splinters. The problem is, everyone us sucking. I can't even evaluate who is not hitting. I figure I have Phelps big year, after an injury, and he is hitting .136.

My question is, how long should I wait to make changes? I figure at least let everyone get 100 AB. I just hope I am not out of it by then. I have two highly competitive adversaries in my division. I don't want to be hasty, but its frustrating getting wiped out game after game because my team is not scoring at all. Any thoughts?

coyote303

Re: Terrible start

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Review the ways to determine which year a player has:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=807

Make changes based on knowing which year a player has (or does not have) and not just because he's "slumping."

Also, don't drop a player who doesn't have a bad year. And most of all don't drop a player you know has a good year no matter how bad he's doing.

Of course, sometimes you need to make a change based on just results. I've seen good managers with hair triggers, and I've seen good managers that are more patient. (I'm the latter.)

One thing that changed since you last played is you can't leave your lineup blank to have HAL help determine which year a player has. HAL simply chooses the most expensive player at each position and the lineup is based solely on position.

The great thing about the mystery leagues is you can frequently turn a team around if you do your homework and with just a bit of luck.

Chief78

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 am

yeah I got another win, I am now 2 and 10. The top team is loaded with power and I don't think I can wait too much longer to make changes. We will see after the next series I play that team. Its one of the best assembled teams I have seen, and they play in the kingdome.

coyote303

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Okay, but just one more thought: Some of the best moves I have made are the ones I didn't make.

Chief78

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 8:44 pm

No I get it, I just found out I have Luzon skis best card. He is still hitting .120 though. This team has multiple problems I need to address.

I won my first series though. Tonight we shall see if the improvement continues. A couple of guys are starting to come around. Lonnie smith had a couple multiple hit games.

I have so many holes I can't afford to make a mistake.

Chief78

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 am

Just an update. After 100 as I got rid of yount and picked up Ripken who got fifty ab with another team. I also axed saberhagen and Morris. I reallly like Morris, he was the winningest pitcher in the 80's. he just got his head spun for me. Higurerra is on the block as well him and his six losses.

I could not afford to wait any longer. We scored 90 runs and gave up 160, in 24 games. I have multiple people who seem to be on their worst cards. I know my catcher is on his worst card. There just isn't anyone out there to replace him.

I am going to ride this out, but I would like to know if anyone ever turned a team this bad around.

Jimmy_C

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 am

I've had to turn a team or two around Chief...Post your team here and that way we can get a better look.

Just in case you don't know how...Go to your standings page for your league, select your team, copy the URL (it will have a team number at the end of it) and paste it to this link.

Chief78

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Sorry I did not log in to see your request for a posting. Here it is if you are still interested.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1452777

I had to dump several players who were on their best year, including Yount, who was my first pick. I had never had a team with him at ss before, so I thought I would give it a try. I tried to be patient, and still wish I had some production out of more than one guy, so I could have carried some others later into the season. I thought I needed to act now, the race was running away.

I had Saberhagens worst year, I am pretty sure from his stats aligning with his sim stats. I replaced him with Black who is doing decent, thought probably no where near where Sabes would have if he had any of his other cards. Morris got knocked around, and I replaced him with Gullickson, who I suspect was on his worst year. I replaced him with Alexander, the jury is still out. Hernandez really hurt me, I suspect he is on his only non productive year. Yount I kept until the last day before the drop percent went up. I tried Ripken who someone else dropped, hoping to get luck, silly me. I suspect he has his worst card. Wynagar I KNOW is on his very worst year. I dumped him for Sciocia who I know had his second worst card. I ended up with Jody Davis. Lonnie Smith could be on his worst card, but I am not certain. I would have liked to keep him longer. I needed a RF though because I needed to platoon Bonilla at 3b. I dropped Smith and replaced him with McRae. I fired the manager and thought McRae could manage the team. McRae, I suspect is on his worst card. Sigh... I am giving him more time because he can play RF.

I picked up Decinces, who I know is on his second best card, after someone dumped him because of injury. That made Harrah dispensible. I dropped him and a couple other guys and used the money to purchase Henke, who is getting shelled. Watch him be on his worst card, why not right?

I do have Phelp's monster card. He is having a field day in Tiger Stadium. Bonilla is hitting for power though, I suspect..do I have to say it, he may be on his worst card.

Besides poor luck with cards, I have had poor luck replacing poor cards with other poor cards. I am also in a league with experienced people who know what they are doing. I had Rose picked before I could replace McRae with him. I literally was working to get $40,000 so I could replace McRae with Gary Mathews. When I went to pull the trigger, I could not find him, another team got him, LOL.

So yeah, besides poor luck, everything I have tried to improve things has fallen though. I do have some bright spots, I am just looking to maybe climb out of last place at this point.

I think I waited on my pitching too long. I saw teams try the turnstyle approach and find answers. What do you think?

Jimmy_C

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 am

You really have had some bad luck with this team. Look at 4 of your relievers as an example. Thigpen, Carmen, Nelson, and James have a combined 106 chances on the hitter card vs. 71 chances on the pitchers card.

I had to dump several players who were on their best year, including Yount

Not sure why you think Yount was on his best card...I can't find evidence of that. If you really think he's on his best card you need to get him back immediately.

Mulliniks is killing you at shortstop. His X-totals are 23 chances with only 13 X-outs.
Bonilla is worse...23 X-chances with only 7 X-outs.

If this was my team these are some of the things I'd try:

Henke - You have his role as tied 9th+. I would change him to setup which will get him more innings (and clear out any other relief setting). Then I could get a better determination of his effectiveness.

Moseby is not a leadoff (ie: on-base guy) hitter unless you have '83 or '84 (which I don't think you do). Is there any other centerfielder available?

Starters look pretty good. Alexander is on the hitter card 38x vs 23x on the pitcher card and doing quite well.

Ruhle + Henke + Thigpen = 11.5 mill in salary. 80's is a game of the cheap reliever. Find out how good Henke is first then think about where the rest of that salary can help you on the field (think catcher, centerfield)

I'm also sending you a PM. Let me know what you think. Good luck.

Jimmy

ScumbyJr

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Chief78 wrote:Sorry I did not log in to see your request for a posting. Here it is if you are still interested.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1452777

I had to dump several players who were on their best year, including Yount, who was my first pick. I had never had a team with him at ss before, so I thought I would give it a try. I tried to be patient, and still wish I had some production out of more than one guy, so I could have carried some others later into the season. I thought I needed to act now, the race was running away.

I had Saberhagens worst year, I am pretty sure from his stats aligning with his sim stats. I replaced him with Black who is doing decent, thought probably no where near where Sabes would have if he had any of his other cards. Morris got knocked around, and I replaced him with Gullickson, who I suspect was on his worst year. I replaced him with Alexander, the jury is still out. Hernandez really hurt me, I suspect he is on his only non productive year. Yount I kept until the last day before the drop percent went up. I tried Ripken who someone else dropped, hoping to get luck, silly me. I suspect he has his worst card. Wynagar I KNOW is on his very worst year. I dumped him for Sciocia who I know had his second worst card. I ended up with Jody Davis. Lonnie Smith could be on his worst card, but I am not certain. I would have liked to keep him longer. I needed a RF though because I needed to platoon Bonilla at 3b. I dropped Smith and replaced him with McRae. I fired the manager and thought McRae could manage the team. McRae, I suspect is on his worst card. Sigh... I am giving him more time because he can play RF.

I picked up Decinces, who I know is on his second best card, after someone dumped him because of injury. That made Harrah dispensible. I dropped him and a couple other guys and used the money to purchase Henke, who is getting shelled. Watch him be on his worst card, why not right?

I do have Phelp's monster card. He is having a field day in Tiger Stadium. Bonilla is hitting for power though, I suspect..do I have to say it, he may be on his worst card.

Besides poor luck with cards, I have had poor luck replacing poor cards with other poor cards. I am also in a league with experienced people who know what they are doing. I had Rose picked before I could replace McRae with him. I literally was working to get $40,000 so I could replace McRae with Gary Mathews. When I went to pull the trigger, I could not find him, another team got him, LOL.

So yeah, besides poor luck, everything I have tried to improve things has fallen though. I do have some bright spots, I am just looking to maybe climb out of last place at this point.

I think I waited on my pitching too long. I saw teams try the turnstyle approach and find answers. What do you think?

You should be out homering your opponents. You have faced much more Right starters. Guys like Thornton and Decinces are biased towards lefties. Looks like you have the worst McRae card.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s