The Ghost of the Road Warriors

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

coyote303

The Ghost of the Road Warriors

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 pm

I have two current teams:

Dalek Exterminators (60s)
Home record: 23-28
Away record: 35-19

District 12 Mockingjays (90s)
Home record: 5-10
Away record: 15-12

If I was new to the game, you and I might think I really stink at tailoring my team to my stadium. Or perhaps...

My last championship was won recently by a 60s teams called the PriusC Road Warriors. Perhaps their affinity to live up to their name and win on the road carries on in my newest teams. (The Road Warriors home and away records were an identical 43-38.)

l.strether

Re: The Ghost of the Road Warriors

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 4:35 pm

coyote303 wrote:I have two current teams:District 12 Mockingjays (90s)
Home record: 5-10
Away record: 15-12

Leave it to Coyote to adorably name his team after characters from The Hunger Games, a teenage girl's novel. It would be particularly charming if he named his manager "Jennifer Lawrence"... ;)

Icterus Galbuli

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 8:27 pm

I.Strether, Don't know your true purpose for the attack but it is very clear that you seem to lack the knowledge and/or understanding of the Hunger Games if you consider it to be nothing but a "teenage girl's novel. With U.S. book sales approaching 40 million and the latest movie having an opening of over $150 million, I'd say that it is a bit more. I am 59 years old and the father of 2 boys (currently attending Ga Tech) and a 15 year old girl in her first year of high school. My youngest son was the first to read the trilogy and then my wife. They were talking about it so that my eldest son who NEVER reads ....read it! and then my daughter. I was the last hold out but when I started reading it I couldn't put it down. I've always been a fan of sci-fi and futuristic "what-ifs" and yes the Hunger Games does have a bit of the "teenage girl drama" but it is also a very clever story about power, corruption, revolution, commitment, etc. and appeals to a wider audience than just teenage girls, hence the sales numbers! Maybe your post was just in jest, poking a friendly competitor, but if it truly was a personal attack, I believe it backfired and only made you look foolish! I guess you would make fun of my team "Always the Brides" managed by Vizzini because it is based upon characters from a children's book! LOL

l.strether

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 9:02 pm

I made no attack whatsoever. As I said, I thought it was adorable that Coyote was using the book. If you want to take that as an "attack," knock yourself out.

As to your "understanding" of the Hunger Games, it isn't as clear as you think. The book's character, themes, and narration are all skewed towards the teenage girl audience, And, as you yourself noted, it does have the "teenage drama" appealing to teenage girls. That makes it a teenage girl book. Just because teenage boys and less-discriminating older adult males like yourself also read it, doesn't change that. The fact it addresses mature themes doesn't change that either, as most teen fiction does as well. So, the only one who looks foolish is you.

I, myself, am a literature professor well-versed in Science Fiction. However, unlike you, I prefer more sophisticated writers like Philip K. Dick, Ursula K. LeGuin, William Gibson, and Neal Stephenson. Unlike you, I don't rely on the teenage fiction department... ;)

P.s. My 9-year-old daughter loved the first book. So, maybe one day I'll share her insights with you.

Icterus Galbuli

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am

...nice work with the google search engine in looking up all those authors that I bet you have NEVER read! ..and you are probably a literature professor IN YOUR DREAMS. IF you were such you would know that the Hunger Games has been read by a millions of people of ALL ages from around the world......

Jimmy_C

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 5:27 am

I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. So what of it bud...?

l.strether

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 6:48 am

Icterus Galbuli wrote:...nice work with the google search engine in looking up all those authors that I bet you have NEVER read! ..and you are probably a literature professor IN YOUR DREAMS. IF you were such you would know that the Hunger Games has been read by a millions of people of ALL ages from around the world......

You can believe whatever you want. I don't know you, and I'm not impressed so far. So, I don't care what you think. If you actually read my post, you'd see I didn't deny it's popularity. It's still a book aimed towards teenage girls, so it's still cute an adult male like you chose to read it over other novels. To each their own, though... ;)

P.s. Here's a perfect list for you. As you will see, it also includes The Hunger Games. Enjoy.
http://www.thetoptens.com/best-books-for-teen-girls/

l.strether

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 6:58 am

Jimmy_C wrote:I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. So what of it bud...?

As with Ic, I don't know you and couldn't care less if you read teenage girl novels. As I told him, knock yourself out...bud.

fatdaddy054

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Hey professor. ever read or teach any of these authors? Emmet Fox, Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore, Andrew Murray, David Horowitz, David Barton?

l.strether

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Sorry, Fat. I've never read nor taught any of those authors. Neither I nor any other English/American Lit. teachers would put any of them on any of our syllabi. Apparently, you think their works actually constitute literature. Perhaps you could make a case for their inclusion.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s