Re-pricng of players

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

DGF102052

Re-pricng of players

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 4:58 pm

I would like to see the re-pricing of the players in the 4 decades of the mystery card games.
As a long time owner it is very obvious that some players are never drafted because owners see them as overpriced. Some players are very popular because owners see them as under valued. I would like to see some salaries changed based on how popular or unpopular some players have become. I know this idea will make some long time owners rethink their draft strategy , including myself.

jayhawk81

Re: Re-pricng of players

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 9:16 pm

I concur and thought this was an initiative for the 70s and 80s league awhile ago...

Radagast Brown

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 pm

I agree with you fellas... I would love to see a 1950s and a 2000s league as well.

Ducky

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 5:24 pm

It would be interesting to see the salaries updated for all four mystery leagues annually based on usage. Obviously I am not asking for a 10 million dollar player to drop to 5 million, but maybe 10-20 increase or decrease at most based on usage over the prior year would make things more interesting. It would bring a new perspective to each decade every year.

l.strether

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Ducky wrote:It would be interesting to see the salaries updated for all four mystery leagues annually based on usage. Obviously I am not asking for a 10 million dollar player to drop to 5 million, but maybe 10-20 increase or decrease at most based on usage over the prior year would make things more interesting. It would bring a new perspective to each decade every year.

The problem with basing it on usage is many overused players are only used because of their low price. Once their prices are raised, they will go unused, be re-priced, and we'd be back where we were before. I'm not crazy about re-pricing; but If they were going to do it, they should base it on better analysis of the cards...not on player usage.

voovits

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 7:52 pm

Quite frankly I'm not too crazy about their current pricing system. I do not like the way they priced the 90s and 60s players at all. There are many players who are way overpriced IMO.
I prefer to keep the 70s and 80s games priced as is, but just have new players injected into the pool. If it's not possible to do then, only then would I gladly suffer a re-pricing of the 80s.
No new players, then just leave it be.

l.strether

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 9:06 pm

I don't know about the particular leagues, but if there is one player who is underpriced regardless of usage, it is 80's Paul Molitor. There is no way The Ignitor is only worth 4.84 million.

durantjerry

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 10:04 pm

I agree 70's and 80's pricing needs to be updated. They were priced way back when before SOMO had perfected their pricing techniques. As an experienced player, I benefit from the inequities, but I would like to see the playing field leveled a bit with some revamped pricing. Adding any players or switching up years would also be great(Lynn 1975?). Not sure how they left that one out(ROY/MVP). Don't have a problem with the sixties or nineties yet. They are just too relatively new to me.

jayhawk81

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 11:51 pm

agree that it's 2 fold in the 70s, both re-pricing and changing of card years for some players. There are so many 70s players that are under (Reuss, John, Briggs, Milner, ..could easily get to a couple dozen over-priced players) used.

voovits

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 12:35 am

so am I the only one who does not agree with the pricing structure of the 2 newer sets?
Now, I know it is important, but in my humble opinion, I think they way overvalued defense. Again, I know it is very important, especially for SS and 2B, but who here really believes Barry Larkin is more valuable than A-Rod and Garciaparra in the 90s? Again, I recognize the importance of defense but I think they figure for it just a little bit too much.
I also think they dont compensate enough for injuries. Again, I could and probably am in the minority here, but I'm not going to pay 11.53 million for a 60% chance that Micky Mantle is going to be a huge injury risk all season long. Even for that 62 card. Again, I'm not saying he's not good, but I just think the price is a little too high.

I'm not talking about huge differences, but I think slight adjustments need to be taken into consideration.

Of course I'm probably the only one who feels this way.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s