Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Managers

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Icterus Galbuli

Re: Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Manager

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 12:18 am

What possible card would I have for 1970's Willie Horton who after 161 at bats he has a .625 OPS vs LHP and a .569 OPS vs. RHP ….I use him in a platoon in LF vs. LHP but he does have 93 at bats vs. RHP ...
The real kicker is that he started the season going 14 for 25 with a pair of HRs …
...since then he as gone 5 for 147!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thinking he is on his 1977 or 1975 card, but he should be doing much better vs LHP if that was the case.
I need some production from his position vs. LHP ...at what point should I pull the trigger and replace him....it is already past game #80 so the price will be high...
Not sure what to do....right now he is in the middle of a 3 for 42 slide with NO extra base hits...

murf4

PostSun May 26, 2019 8:42 pm

so am i correct that my pitcher was at bat and injured on a pop up for ten games. this means he has to be pitching in a season with less than 200 inning and in his case there is only one season like that

Jimmy_C

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 3:36 am

murf4 wrote:so am i correct that my pitcher was at bat and injured on a pop up for ten games. this means he has to be pitching in a season with less than 200 inning and in his case there is only one season like that

You are correct.

stratorat

HBP+Injury

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:30 pm

Ron Leflore has 2 HBP cards and 2 HBP+Injury cards.
He was recently HBP, no injury recored.
Does this eliminate the HBP+Injury cards, or is it possible the injury did not record on the play by play/Recap/Boxscore

coyote303

Re: HBP+Injury

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 pm

stratorat wrote:Ron Leflore has 2 HBP cards and 2 HBP+Injury cards.
He was recently HBP, no injury recored.
Does this eliminate the HBP+Injury cards, or is it possible the injury did not record on the play by play/Recap/Boxscore

It could be a HBP+injury card, but it's much more likely it's not. There's a 10 percent chance there will be no injury even if an injury is rolled.

If you are comparing two cards, one with a HBP on 12 and the other with a HBP+injury on 12 (and no other HBP chances for either), then it's 10 times more likely if you get a HBP without an injury that it's the guy with the HBP chance. However, if you add an additional HBP chance (say on a 2) on both cards then it's less than twice as likely.

Hope that makes sense!

Snakefinger

PostThu Oct 24, 2019 1:33 am

How about another question? Above it is mentioned that HAL's PH habits for your team may help reveal hints about player years in appropriate circumstances. How about when a position player is injured and is pinch run for by a player who will replace him in the field. Say you've got two players on the bench who can play the position of the injured player. You've got one set as the defensive replacement should the starter be injured, but HAL puts the other guy in after the injury occurs in the game. I know HAL doesn't consult your settings in making that initial replacement, but is there meaning in HAL's choice from the perspective of making judgments about your players?

boobarne

PostMon May 11, 2020 10:38 am

Quick question about the # of plate appearances determining the length of an injury. Any changes if a strike shortened year limits the potential # of at bats?

shif6

PostFri May 15, 2020 7:03 pm

If I play in a 70's league now and know the mystery years for a number of players, will the cards be the same if I join another 70's league after this season is over. Or is the knowledge I gained in the prior league irrelevant in the new league.

Jimmy_C

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 4:35 am

boobarne wrote:Quick question about the # of plate appearances determining the length of an injury. Any changes if a strike shortened year limits the potential # of at bats?

The # of plate appearances for injury length stays the same.
600+ PA's = Max 3 game duration
680+ PA's = Max 0 game duration

Jimmy_C

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 4:36 am

shif6 wrote:If I play in a 70's league now and know the mystery years for a number of players, will the cards be the same if I join another 70's league after this season is over. Or is the knowledge I gained in the prior league irrelevant in the new league.

When you start your new league toss all the "intel" you had on players. The hunt to figure out the card years starts all over again.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s