Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Managers

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

paul8210

Re: Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Manager

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 2:06 pm

A w-w batter gets credit for a bph attempt off the pitcher's card. I searched my archive of old teams and saw an example. Mike Hershberger had 3 ballpark homer attempts, none which were homeruns. It was his 1967 card, weak from both sides.

stratorat

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 7:02 pm

visick wrote:It is important for new managers to the mystery card games to understand how to read the cards to help figure out which of the 5 years their players are in. Here is a rundown of the methods I've used. Hopefully other managers can add their insight also to help the new managers quickly get up to speed:

1. When a position player is injured - Position players can only be injured from a roll on their card. First find out how they got injured (HBP+inj, Lomax+inj, ground out+inj etc.). Also...did they get injured from a lefty or righty pitcher? Then...look at your players 5 cards to zero in on which seasons sustain that injury from the lefty or righty side of their card. This method may not pinpoint the year, but could eliminate some of the years.

2. When a pitcher is injured - Pitchers are injured during the DH at-bat. First find out how they got injured (KO, ground out etc.). Also...did they get injured by a lefty or righty hitter? Switch hitters will always be the opposite of the pitchers arm for their at-bat. Once you've checked out the injury and the batters hand, look at your pitcher card. Go to column 6 on the left or right side of his card (determined by the batters hand) and go to the result on line 12. If that matches the injury sustained then that year is a possibility. Check all 5 years. For illustration purposes, In the 80's game Soto gets injured by Eddie Murray (a switch hitter). The injury is sustained on a strikeout. Murray is considered a lefty batter vs the righty Soto. So now go to Soto's card and look at column 6, result 12 on all 5 cards. You will see that Soto is in either his '81 or '83 year. This method may not pinpoint the year, but could eliminate some of the years. Also...You can't tell anything in NON-DH leagues using this method.

3. HBP - Batters can be HBP only from their card. If a batter is HBP, look at each of their years that can get that result. Sometimes you can eliminate years that do not have a HBP result using this method.

4. Hitters injury duration - The length of the injury can help determine players years. If a hitter has 600+ plate appearances (at bats + walks), then he can only be injured for 3 games maximum. If a hitter has 680+ plate appearances, then he can only be injured for 0 games maximum. Don't be fooled by a hitter getting injured for only 3 games and believing it to be the 1 season he exceeded 600+ plate appearances. Remember...it's 3 games MAXIMUM. A player with 599 or less plate appearances can get injured 0-15 games.

5. Pitchers injury duration - A pitcher with 200+ innings work can only be injured for a maximum of 3 games.

6. Homeruns - Hitters with a "W" rating on a given side of their card can not hit a homerun off of the pitchers card. So if a hitter with a "W" on that side of his card does hit a homerun you may be able to eliminate some years. For illustration purposes, in the 80's game Brett Butler hits a homerun off of Guidry (lefty). Look at Butlers 5 cards...All 5 are "W" against lefty pitching. However...only 1 card ('84) does not have a homerun opportunity on it for Butler. Therefore...Once Butler homers against a lefty, you can eliminate his '84 year.

The above are all "Solid" reads. You can depend on their accuracy. Next...I'll list less-reliable reads.Jimmy_C

Less-reliable reads:

There are many, but I'll list a few of the more common ones I've seen. Sometimes, un-reliable reads will be the only thing you can run with when you need to make a player decision:

1. Performance - This is a really bad way to make a player "read" especially early on. But after 100 crummy at-bats you may want to use it to make a move.

2. Tilt - If a player is heavily tilted in one direction, it may be that 4L or 4R year.

3. Triples - If a batter has 1 card with an unusually high amount of triples chances, it may be that year.

4. Strikeouts - See triples above.

5. Strikeouts/Walks ratio - See triples above.

6. Intentional Walks - Is a batter receiving a high number of intentional walks? Could be that he's on a great year...OR...could be the guy next in the order is on a crummy year.

7. Leave lineup blank and see who the game engine puts in - There are managers who live by this method. As far as I'm concerned there is questionable reliability to it.

Playing 60's League and have Frank Robinson.
He just had an HBP Injury for 0 games.
In 1966, based on BASEBALL REFERENCE.COM, he had 680 Plate Appearances,( 576 AB, 87 BB and 7 SF's)
So, how should I read his card? If I assume 680 Plate Appearances are defined as above, based on 0 games injury, I would determine I have PROBABLY his best card (1966)?? I know, "A player with 599 or less plate appearances can get injured 0-15 games."
Any thoughts??

paul8210

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 pm

It's not necessarily the 1966 card, since other years with the same injury can be injured for zero games. Also, I think SOM defines plate appearances for the purpose of defining injury limits as AB + BB

stratorat

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Agree, its the definition of PA's I am curious about

FALCON29

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 pm

If a player who has "W" power rolls a ballpark Homerun on a pitchers' card, it's rolled back to a single. Does anyone know if it is included in the Ballpark FX HR Opp with the Misc stats on your roster page? If not it could be a further clue as to whether or not you have one of the years with W power or not.

FALCON29

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 12:34 pm

FALCON29 wrote:If a player who has "W" power rolls a ballpark Homerun on a pitchers' card, it's rolled back to a single. Does anyone know if it is included in the Ballpark FX HR Opp with the Misc stats on your roster page? If not it could be a further clue as to whether or not you have one of the years with W power or not.

Got an answer from SOM about this, and it IS included as a Ballpark FX HR Opp even though there is zero chance of it being a HR. Oh well, never mind...
The best I can suggest is that if a player hits a HR it can't be from a card that he has no HR on and he's got "W" Power rating.

ycbill

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Today I was considering the possibility that BPHR hitter stats were separate from pitchers until I read the above. After adding the ballpark HR hits and opportunities in miscellaneous stats for a current league I found the pitchers and hitters numbers are the same, confirming that SOM records each BPHR for/against both hitter and pitcher stats.

stratorat

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Are Split numbers such as (HR 1-12 fly 13-20) included in the Ballpark FX count?

Radagast Brown

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 11:10 am

Are Split numbers such as (HR 1-12 fly 13-20) included in the Ballpark FX count?

No, unless they are followed with a ballpark signal.

stratorat

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 6:05 pm

60's League - Can you read a pitchers card after he is injured after a popout while batting?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s