Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Managers

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Danchiacchia

Re: Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Manager

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Question the mystery cards. New to this, and find it extremely frustrating (while still enjoyable) because there is a lot more guessIng involved.

Anyway, if a player is released by one team and picked up by a new one, is it possible his mystery season being used could change?

tdkearns

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm

Nope. Card stays the same all year and through the playoffs.

Danchiacchia wrote:Question the mystery cards. New to this, and find it extremely frustrating (while still enjoyable) because there is a lot more guessIng involved.

Anyway, if a player is released by one team and picked up by a new one, is it possible his mystery season being used could change?

Match

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 5:35 am

1 run down with 1 out in the 9th. Carew (lefty) scheduled to bat against Sutter( righty). HAL pinch hit LeFlore(righty). LeFlores's current stats are worse than Carew's. All Carew seasons but one are better than LeFlores best season.

So it could be that ive got the one bad Carew season. OR

It could be because HAL thinks we need a homer and maybe Leflore season is "N" against rhp while Carew is "w".

Which is it?

crazyab

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 4:22 pm

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 451145/129
80s mystery - HAL pinch hits Tony Scott for Rickey Henderson in the seventh inning, down 2-1 with 2 out and a man on first, against Bob Welch. I do not have any settings to pinch hit for Rickey or to pinch hit Scott. Even though he is a switch hitter, Scott does not have any card where he is better against RHP than any of Rickey's cards. Is HAL telling us that Welch is on one of his heavy R cards, so that HAL would put up anyone that could bat lefty? Even so, it is probably not a good move, looking at half the rolls coming on each card. Thoughts, Coyote303 or anyone else?

franky35

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 pm

In those situations, HAL loves the home run. So, I would guess that the substitution increases the odds of a homer.

crazyab

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 9:51 pm

franky35 wrote:In those situations, HAL loves the home run. So, I would guess that the substitution increases the odds of a homer.

Thanks Franky - I think that tells me more about Henderson than Welch or Scott.

crazyab

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 1:39 am

80s mystery - Hal decides to pinch hit for Scott Fletcher against Tom Niedenfuer twice in a series, but uses different pinch hitters (my lineup was same both games and no other substitutions had been made in either game). In https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/replay/451145/528 bottom of 8th, tie game, man on third with two outs, Hal calls on Mike Young. In https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/replay/451145/540 bottom of 8th, down by four runs, no one on with one out, Hal calls on Al Newman. Young and Newman are both switch hitters, so perhaps that is why Hal is hitting for Fletcher, but the question is why Young in one game and Newman in the other? Fletcher is the DH in both games so defense is not a factor.
In the tie game, the deciding factor should be batting average, with the go-ahead run on third and two out (you could say OBP, but then you are counting on the #9 batter to get the hit). In the other game, the deciding factor should be OBP, since we are down by 4 with no one on and need base runners to turn the lineup over. The only one of Newman's five seasons with a higher OBP vs RHP than ANY of Young's five seasons vs RHP is 1989 Newman, .254/.348/.293. But if that is the Newman I have, then which Young batted in the other game? The only Young seasons with higher average vs RHP than 1989 Newman are 1984 Young, .276/.376/484 and 1985 Young, .260/.356/.491. If either of those are the Young I have, then he should have pinch hit in both games!
Any ideas, mystery solvers?

dheitzmann

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Is there any control over which year you get for a player? This format seems to leave a lot of the GM part of the job to chance. Am I missing something?

crazyab

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 3:00 pm

You do not have control over which year you get so it does leave a lot to chance but then you can use the clues from the games to figure out or narrow down which cards are being used. That info is crucial in deciding who to add and drop and in making your lineups. I did not like it at first and now love it.

davehaller

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 3:58 am

crazyab wrote:80s mystery - Hal decides to pinch hit for Scott Fletcher against Tom Niedenfuer twice in a series, but uses different pinch hitters (my lineup was same both games and no other substitutions had been made in either game). In https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/replay/451145/528 bottom of 8th, tie game, man on third with two outs, Hal calls on Mike Young. In https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/replay/451145/540 bottom of 8th, down by four runs, no one on with one out, Hal calls on Al Newman. Young and Newman are both switch hitters, so perhaps that is why Hal is hitting for Fletcher, but the question is why Young in one game and Newman in the other? Fletcher is the DH in both games so defense is not a factor.
In the tie game, the deciding factor should be batting average, with the go-ahead run on third and two out (you could say OBP, but then you are counting on the #9 batter to get the hit). In the other game, the deciding factor should be OBP, since we are down by 4 with no one on and need base runners to turn the lineup over. The only one of Newman's five seasons with a higher OBP vs RHP than ANY of Young's five seasons vs RHP is 1989 Newman, .254/.348/.293. But if that is the Newman I have, then which Young batted in the other game? The only Young seasons with higher average vs RHP than 1989 Newman are 1984 Young, .276/.376/484 and 1985 Young, .260/.356/.491. If either of those are the Young I have, then he should have pinch hit in both games!
Any ideas, mystery solvers?

The only way this makes sense is to look at it after the season is over. Fletcher bad vs RHP, Niedenfuer great vs. RHB.
appears in your first game, HAL is going for the win with the PH M. Young since Newman has W power. This is even though his hits and OBP and clutch are all better then M. Young.
in game 2 He picks newman due to higher OBP.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s