Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Managers

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

ycbill

Re: Help w/ reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Manager

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 9:36 pm

According to point #5 in the first post, pitcher injury in a non-DH league depends on the actual innings pitched. Based on that only an injury greater than 3 days would indicate a year with less than 200 innings pitched. Injury of 3 days or less could happen to any pitcher regardless of innings.

stratorat

PostSat May 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Help please - Runner on 3rd - 1 out.
Clemente is injured on a Fielder's Choice - w/ runner on 3rd scoring and Clemente reaching 1st base.
Based on his cards, the only possible outcomes were gb (2b)A+injury or fly(lf)B?+injury.
I'm assuming it's the gb (2b)A+injury read??

stratorat

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 2:11 pm

When a pitcher is injured - Pitchers are injured during the DH at-bat. First find out how they got injured (KO, ground out etc.). Also...did they get injured by a lefty or righty hitter? Switch hitters will always be the opposite of the pitchers arm for their at-bat. Once you've checked out the injury and the batters hand, look at your pitcher card. Go to column 6 on the left or right side of his card (determined by the batters hand) and go to the result on line 12. If that matches the injury sustained then that year is a possibility. Check all 5 years. For illustration purposes, In the 80's game Soto gets injured by Eddie Murray (a switch hitter). The injury is sustained on a strikeout. Murray is considered a lefty batter vs the righty Soto. So now go to Soto's card and look at column 6, result 12 on all 5 cards. You will see that Soto is in either his '81 or '83 year. This method may not pinpoint the year, but could eliminate some of the years. Also...You can't tell anything in NON-DH leagues using this method.

McNally gets injured on a KO to R Garr, "the 1st batter faced of the game".
Based on McN card, KO occurs in 69 and 72 in column 6/line 12 of LHB card; but in 74 the @12-gb(3b)C appears in column 6/line 12 of LHB card. Realize it is the pitch count fatigue symbol, but could it ever be scored as a KO?

1st Command Commando

• Location: DC Metro area when I am not deployed to Afghanistan (no more deployments)

PostWed Oct 14, 2015 8:53 am

FALCON29 wrote:
FALCON29 wrote:If a player who has "W" power rolls a ballpark Homerun on a pitchers' card, it's rolled back to a single. Does anyone know if it is included in the Ballpark FX HR Opp with the Misc stats on your roster page? If not it could be a further clue as to whether or not you have one of the years with W power or not.

Got an answer from SOM about this, and it IS included as a Ballpark FX HR Opp even though there is zero chance of it being a HR. Oh well, never mind...
The best I can suggest is that if a player hits a HR it can't be from a card that he has no HR on and he's got "W" Power rating.

I once read a recap of a game (this was back in 2003) for the 80s game. I had a known "W" hitter who was featured in the recap because of the inside the park homerun he hit. There were no homerun results on his card and a very slight chance for a triple (wish I could grab the actual recap or remember who it was). The pitcher had one or two chances for a BPHR as well as a slight chance for an outright homerun. The BPHR reading would result in a single. The only thing I could think of was the batter stretched a triple into an inside the ballpark HR. Doesn't the recap normally say "Ozzie Smith lofted one into the cheap seats instead of saying "hit an inside the park homerun? Point being - It appears possible for a "W" hitter with no HR chances to actually hit a HR by stretching a triple into a HR, right?

stratorat

Wild Pitches

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 am

Sutter gave up 4 WP's in our season opener series.
Is that at all any indication of which card he has? I assume not.

stratorat

HAL Pinch Hitter Decision

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 11:02 am

H McRae PH for R Burleson in Gm 1 of the season vs. a RHP.
Burleson did not have either Avoid Setting selected.
McRae was the PH sub for LHP, NOT RHP.

Burleson finished the 3gm series 3-7, w/ 2 walks.
McRae went 1-5

Would HAL's decision telegraph a bad card for Burleson, and/or a Bal R card for McRae?

HoustonMetFan

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 9:59 am

crgoddu wrote:Question - say you have a player who you know has a bp effect homer taken away. On all of that players cards he has a W power rating except for two cards where against righties he has an N. Only one of these cards has a bphr on it.

But, there is the pitcher card to also consider. The pitchers he faced also had bphrs on their cards. Would the player lose a bphr homer on the pitcher card if he had a W rating or would it just be noted as fly out since a home run was not possible?

Just wondering if this is a way to figure out or narrow down the card I might have for this player.

Works the same way. He losses the HR. This is another way to look for clues.

Rosie2167

PostSat Jan 09, 2016 3:04 pm

stratorat wrote:H McRae PH for R Burleson in Gm 1 of the season vs. a RHP.
Burleson did not have either Avoid Setting selected.
McRae was the PH sub for LHP, NOT RHP.

Burleson finished the 3gm series 3-7, w/ 2 walks.
McRae went 1-5

Would HAL's decision telegraph a bad card for Burleson, and/or a Bal R card for McRae?

I would say generally yes but other variables to consider...
[list]was it a clutch situation
who was the pitcher/list]

Also I know this response is aways from the date of your question but what were the roll counts for that series?

STEVE F

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 2:38 am

How about bullpen settings? Do you prefer to leave them blank to try to figure out who your best relievers are or does HAL even work that way?

stratorat

D Josephson: reading the cards for Mystery Tournament Manage

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 10:56 am

Just finished a 70's season and had Duane pegged as 70 card based on his FB injury and HR vs a LHP. HAL just published the cards after the season and had him as 69?
I thought a "W" on that side of his card does hit a homerun you may be able to eliminate 68 and 69 leaving 70 as the card??
Does HAL sometimes error in reporting the players' cards?? Or, am I missing something???
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s