1st mystery team in nearly a decade, now what?

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Semper Gumby

1st mystery team in nearly a decade, now what?

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 4:51 pm

After a long hiatus from the mystery card format (two long visits to Iraq will do it for you), I tossed a credit at the '60s game. The '60s players and parks are the earliest memories from my childhood.

Obviously, I did something off the beaten path by selecting Candlestick Park 1964 as I hold the 12th waiver pick. :shock:

Perhaps someone can clue me into how I end up with a roster of players very few other managers desired?

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1118878

LMBombers

Re: 1st mystery team in nearly a decade, now what?

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Looks like a good basis for a team to me. You need a LF with a little power and a platoon mate for Yogi. Your rotation looks perfect for the Stick.

durantjerry

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 6:47 pm

I am in that league and drafted Carew and Oliva pretty high and Beckert lower. I guess that's why I have second waiver pick. That being said, I would not use Carew on that team. When there is no DH you have to grab offense where you can get it a C, 2B and SS. However, you have already sacrificed the "D" at SS with Banks. In that park a Banks - Carew DP combo doesn't really do it for me. It seems to me you are asking a lot of the pitching staff already with the park selection and the average "D" up the middle just makes it all the tougher. Everything else looks good to me.

Jimmy_C

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 7:55 pm

First let me say welcome home...and welcome back to the game John!!

I like the look of your team. Bad range up the middle infield but with the guys you have there they should make it up with their bats. Just don't cut off the pitchers heads too early because of it.

You need to increase your team OBP. A high OBP guy in left is what I'd go for. As mentioned before, a RH catcher who jumps on LHP is a given. Other than that, I'd ride that bunch of Shanghi Stooges.

Semper Gumby

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 am

Jimmy_C wrote:First let me say welcome home...and welcome back to the game John!!

I like the look of your team. Bad range up the middle infield but with the guys you have there they should make it up with their bats. Just don't cut off the pitchers heads too early because of it.

You need to increase your team OBP. A high OBP guy in left is what I'd go for. As mentioned before, a RH catcher who jumps on LHP is a given. Other than that, I'd ride that bunch of Shanghi Stooges.

Hey, Jimmy

Nice to be back in the mystery format. I hope my return is better than my '80s efforts.

Since retiring from the Corps, I've trolled in the ATG and a few 201X leagues. What I miss about the mystery format is the drop off in interest after the post waiver wire work is done.

We'll see if the Stooges can stop a few infield balls. I didn't expect to get half of my draft card and zero of the $.75M long shots. Can't fathom how the post waiver wire run fairs here with a shallow free agent pool but you're right on the C and LF positions.

DJ,

You're right on that my middle fielder X-out successful outcomes are going to be rare with this combination of Carew and Banks. I listed several $.75M middle infielders on my draft card with this weakness in mind. If one or two hit gold, then I might move Banks or Carew.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s