Favorite Decade/ Most Popular

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

dutchfarley

Re: Favorite Decade/ Most Popular

PostFri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 pm

I've always liked the 90's better - Mainly because I know the players better. But also because I'm way more successful at the game in that decade than the rest. While overall I was disapointed to see the chnage to HAL lineups I think it will for sure change the 90's and maybe in a good way. Now if an owner wants to use a one year wonder guy like Muellens , their is a price to be paid- since you'll have to manually put him in your lineup for some games. It makes the decision on taking him much harder, since every game counts.

Quincy Wilson

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 am

The 80's game is an old game, and like it's contemporary, the original ATG has inaccurate pricing of players
as compared to later games. Managing in these games is (was) more a matter of identifying bargains and
drafting them . That get's boring after a while, at least for me. I am enjoying playing the new '60s game
because I was much more of a baseball fan at that time than later and know the players much better.
For that reason I would like to see a '50's game incorporating players from the late '40's.

bigdinkent

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 6:18 pm

It's definitely the 80s by far. The main reasons are the reasonable salary structure and players seem to perform closer to their sim stats. The salaries allow you to have many more combinations of rosters which keeps it from getting boring. In contrast I will never own 90s Bonds or 60s Mays because it hurts the rest of my team and I question that they really out perform others by that much. Which sucks because the fun for me comes from trying different players.

PillPop

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 5:19 am

bigdinkent wrote:It's definitely the 80s by far. The main reasons are the reasonable salary structure and players seem to perform closer to their sim stats. The salaries allow you to have many more combinations of rosters which keeps it from getting boring. In contrast I will never own 90s Bonds or 60s Mays because it hurts the rest of my team and I question that they really out perform others by that much. Which sucks because the fun for me comes from trying different players.

The 80's is the only decade game created for 80m cap exclusively, so any card can be in play for any league, which is a plus, in my opinion. 60s game is fun so far, though.

durantjerry

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 am

Although I love them all the 80's is my least favorite by far for the fact that the players are priced too cheap and for the small player pool which is made more apparent by the low pricing model (especially for hitters).

Agree with LM. It reminds me of when ATG and 20xx were in their infancy. Too many pricing errors. Many people loved the games back then when the discrepancies existed, but it would be hard to argue that they got much better once TSN became more experienced with SOMO and things became more balanced. The 80's game enjoys the same popularity but it needs to come out of the dark ages.

PillPop

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 11:13 pm

In your opinion, how does the "cheap" player pricing in 80's affect game play and team construction? Don't all the card sets have their share of bargains?

voovits

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 am

I personally think the overall pricing of the 80s is much better than other sets (note I did not say more accurate!). As bigdinkent said, owning Bonds in the 90s or Mays in the 60s, or even Morgan in the 70s is just not worth it as it kills your spending for the rest of the team.
At least you can own Brett or Clemens in the 80s and still field a reasonable team behind them.
Yes, there are a bunch of underpriced players and some overpriced players in the 80s (Anyone actually ever use Mitch Williams in the 80s? Ever?), so I would not object to some minor re-pricing and definitely some new player infusion, but I would hate to suddenly find Brett, Schmidt, Clemens and Hershiser all over 10 million.

LMBombers

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 am

The 80s pricing is like playing any other SOM game (mystery or no) at 100M. Improvements needed are:

1. Complete salary overhaul to price similar to every other game including starting from scratch to better price the players, not just boosting the salary of players as they are now,
2. add at least another 30-40 players (which I have already posted a long list of possibilities)
3. Bring the game out of the dark ages by updating the interface to include lineup depth chart, bullpen roles, etc

If these three things are accomplished it would be like getting another brand new mystery card game and would make it fun to play the 80s game again!

durantjerry

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 am

To me all the love for the 80's game is because you will always love your first toy. The 80's game was the first and, for a long time, the only mystery card game. Like the 80's game, that first toy you had a long time ago is outdated and has been improved upon. All the initial offerings from SOMO(2001/2002/ATG I) contained obvious pricing issues. The 80's game is probably more likely to be mispriced as SOMO's first venture into the mystery card area, although they probably had a few seasons of 200x and ATG to base some things on. All these other initial offerrings have gone through any number of additional sets being issued to ths point where SOMO must have the pricing down to a science. Like LM, I would just like to see this experience brought to bear on the 80's game. After the initial outrage of the guys who loved the games the way it was, I think everyone agrees the other games are better now than they were in the beginning and I think the same would happen with the 80's game.

voovits

PostFri Aug 23, 2013 2:31 pm

LMBombers wrote:3. Bring the game out of the dark ages by updating the interface to include lineup depth chart, bullpen roles, etc

I noticed you mention this multiple times now and I dont quite understand. The 80s team I'm running now has lineup depth charts, bullpen roles, hitter preferences, all the good stuff my current 60s teams have.
In fact, if you check the thread I created about 80s pricing, you'll see my 80s team has Tom Niedenfuer in the "super reliever" role with over 200 innings in relief. Can't do that without the most updated settings options available.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s