Anyone else concerned about this statement?

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

ROBERTLATORRE

Re: Anyone else concerned about this statement?

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:57 am

LMBombers wrote:You can't convince people who already have their mind made up that they won't enjoy it.

Randy, you just described my first marriage!

LOL

AdamKatz

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 am

Where is the "fun" in the regular game after the draft? I tried it a couple of times. the draft was fun, as it is in mystery card, but once the season starts, am I missing something or is there very little (practically nothng to do). sure, if there is a dominating team that cant hit lefthanding pitching or something like that, you can switch pitchers after paying the discount fee, but thats about it.

The mystery card game is a "game." There is some luck involved, but I also think there is alot of skill.

In other news, how is the new HAL system working out? Is it doing what was intended?

ROBERTLATORRE

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:18 am

AdamKatz wrote:Where is the "fun" in the regular game after the draft? I tried it a couple of times. the draft was fun, as it is in mystery card, but once the season starts, am I missing something or is there very little (practically nothng to do). sure, if there is a dominating team that cant hit lefthanding pitching or something like that, you can switch pitchers after paying the discount fee, but thats about it.

The mystery card game is a "game." There is some luck involved, but I also think there is alot of skill.

In other news, how is the new HAL system working out? Is it doing what was intended?

Definitely disappointed that the HAL lineups went away, but not going to stop playing. A lot less to look at to try to evaluate cards. The blank lineups was like the old morning crossword puzzle for me. I am 4 teams in and it is less fun. The new card set will have my interest for a good while for sure, but the other three sets will get less play.

I don't really understand the push to change it. It was an available tool to those that wanted to use it, and could be disregarded by those that didn't. Level playing field in either case, but the mystery game is less enjoyable now, for me.

Rigged Splits

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:51 pm

I wouldn't say it's less fun but there certainly is less to do at the start of the season. Now mostly all you can do is check the injuries and the HBPs. Early stats from the actual play don't mean much for a while. The sample is too small and when the season starts you have to adjust for the fact that 20% of the cards are the worst years and, in the case of most players, at least 40% of the cards are losers.

jayhawk81

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 pm

what's the Lineup announcement?

I personally rarely ever used it but didn't care if others did. We all can still kick Latorre's butt!

ROBERTLATORRE

PostSat Aug 10, 2013 1:35 am

jayhawk81 wrote:what's the Lineup announcement?

I personally rarely ever used it but didn't care if others did. We all can still kick Latorre's butt!

HEY NOW!!!! I prefer to consider my poor teams a charitable contribution, this way I get $25 dollar write-offs every time my teams end up in the cellar...

jayhawk81

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 pm

ok, HERE'S THE PITCHING TAKE ON THIS. Who let's HAL decide Bullpen roles? Does it provide the same insight into card years? Do you leave your relief pitcher options empty for the first few games?

voovits

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I personally do not find HAL pitching decisions to be reliable at all.

jomboy78

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 2:18 am

I can't believe that so many complained about lineups. Hal making lineups wasn't fool proof
and free from error. It was more "mystery" having Hal involved. I've seen it work to benefit some and I've seen it fail miserably to others. It was like watching Texas Holdem on tv and seeing on the fold the rabbit cam. It's entertaining to some to know but it's not like it effected the outcome. It was probably more of a pain knowing. Regardless the ones that complained about it should have stuck with ATG. The ones that like being good at mystery card games will adjust and then a new set of complaints will surface for those guys.

coyote303

PostMon Aug 12, 2013 10:57 am

ROBERTLATORRE wrote:I don't really understand the push to change it. It was an available tool to those that wanted to use it, and could be disregarded by those that didn't.

Years ago when I first started playing, the 70s was my favorite set. I was good at it and had a winning percentage around .550. Then I created a keeper league and it attracted some very good managers who knew how to read HAL's lineups. At the time, I didn't even realize you could do this. Anyway, I started to lose consistently. It wasn't until just before I left the league I finally realized why highly coveted Frank Howard, for example, was getting cut after only three games.

Now, I've adapted, learned to read HAL, and have had success with the 90s set (I haven't played the 70s since leaving my old keeper league). As I said in a previous post, I don't think it's right that you could "push a button and have HAL tell you if you have a good card." So, that is why I favor this change.

You are correct to assert that a manager could disregard using HAL to fill in blank lineups. However, to fail to do so put a manager at a severe disadvantage.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s