Is Bobby Bonds worth the price?

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Ikes

Is Bobby Bonds worth the price?

PostSat May 11, 2013 2:31 pm

I have Bonds drafted. Season starts Monday night. Playing Cleveland municipal stadium.
I like his right handed power in Municipal stadium, Defense, OBP and Speed, but the K's seem like a huge hindrance.
Also have Sundberg, Rice, Nettles, Gamble, Dreissen and Maddox. Pitching is Nolan, F. Peterson, J. Perry and Christensen with Fingers and Lyle in the bullpen.
Debating if I should drop Bonds, pick up Staub and invest more in starting pitching. Hooten and tanana are available. Not much left for power hitters.
Any advise would be appreciated.

LMBombers

Re: Is Bobby Bonds worth the price?

PostSat May 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Bonds is one of the best players in the 70s game for any stadium.

AdamKatz

PostSat May 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Bonds generally doesnt perform as well as his numbers, but he is easily one of the top 3 CFs in the 70s.
People to drop are Dreissen and Maddox. Not crazy about Sundberg, but he has good defense, 4 consistent years and C is not a deep position.
Make Bonds your CF and find a RF who can hit and has a negative arm (like Staub).
starting pitchng is fine, but can always be better.
Dont think you need both Fingers and Lyle but the flaw in many of my teams is a bad bullpen so maybe I am not qualified to judge that.
Last edited by AdamKatz on Sat May 11, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamKatz

PostSat May 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Bonds generally doesnt perform as well as his numbers, but he is easily one of the top 3 CFs in the 70s.
People to drop are Dreissen and Maddox. Not crazy about Sundberg, but he has good defense, 4 consistent years and C is not a deep position.
Make Bonds your CF and find a RF who can hit and has a negative arm.
starting pitchng is fine, but can always be better.
Dont think you need both Fingers and Lyle but the flaw in many of my teams is a bad bullpen so maybe I am not qualified to judge that.

franky35

PostSat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm

keep Bonds, good fit in Cleveland Municipal. I don't think Driessen is a good value. Nettles can be good but I don't think he's a great fit for your stadium.

jayhawk81

PostSat May 11, 2013 11:12 pm

I agree with the Katzman, move Bonds to CF (one of the must have 70s guys), drop Maddox and get a RF. I'd drop Lyle and pick up 2 of the solid $2-2.5M relievers. Sundberg is good, Driessen I would consider upgrading depending upon your salary position. What's your D in the middle IF look like? They should be 2's or better in Municipal stadium

Ikes

PostSun May 12, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks gentlemen. I like the suggestion to move Bonds to CF. I have had good luck with the Fingers/Lyle combination. Win a huge percentage of one run games and extra inning games with the strong bullpen. Can manipulate HAL so they pitch almost all my relief innings. I think I will try Dreissen, although I see that no one ever drafts him. I like his speed, OBP, and defense. I have no cash to upgrade, unless i go with someone like Wes Parker and upgrade the D. Middle infield both 1's. Belanger and Flynn (both weak hitting though).

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s