Rant Of The Month

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

FALCON29

Rant Of The Month

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 3:55 pm

piloneus382 wrote:70's - After blowing a 2-run lead in the 8th RP Eddie Solomon somehow finds his way to the plate (despite other options on the bench). He even manages to draw a walk! With 2-out he gets caught stealing second. It seems the energy expended trying to steal 2nd impacted his pitching as he gave up a leadoff triple in the 9th that would end up being the winning run. Why did he bat? Why did he run?

Although I play a lot of 60s Mystery Leagues, I absolutely can't stand how the game engine handles offensive lineups on teams when the pitchers hit. There's SO MUCH wrong with it, including the example above from Piloneus. An 8-year-old could come up with better logic!
The 60s set pretty much dictates that the pitchers hit, but beyond that I much prefer DH leagues, simply because of this glaring flaw.

shoop

Re: Rant Of The Month

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 1:24 pm

I am with you on this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,In a playoff game (a loss of course since I am bringing this up)....Hal had Teddy Higuera try to steal a base in game he was batting since the league didnt use the DH.

It was NOT on a failed hit and run attempt along with the fact he never once in a real life game made an offensive appearance, so there is no way he could even have a steal rating to try it here in our game.

And yet I still cant get an answer as to why.

coyote303

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:34 pm

I don't really think this is it, but I suppose it's possible...

If you get a rare play (obtained whenever a 5 is rolled using 3 dice on the fielding chart) on a foulout on the catcher's card, the runner on first gets picked off. The game engine could possibly record this as a caught stealing since I have never seen a pickoff recorded.

It is also, of course, just as--or more--likely there is a glitch/flaw in SOM365's baserunning logic.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496 ... ymbols.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496 ... errors.jpg

FALCON29

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 pm

coyote303 wrote:The game engine could possibly record this as a caught stealing since I have never seen a pickoff recorded.

If you watch the game replays you'll occasionally see a pickoff as opposed to caught stealing.

Not related to letting pitchers steal but equally as brutal, in a recent loss I made the last out when Al Oliver of all people was caught trying to steal home. I get how this happened, but what manager would EVER try a squeeze play with Al Oliver on 3rd, especially in a game-ending situation???

shoop

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:09 pm

Thanks about the pickoff from the rare play chart.....But if the game picked up the scoring correctly, it would be a pickoff and not a caught stealing (unless the runner broke for second before the throw).

And yet we don't know if it was a rare play since in the mystery game they dont want to show rolls that land on the x-chart.....which opens up another debate.

maureenheaney

PostThu May 18, 2023 3:05 am

Sometimes viewers just admire and admire,getting over it but do not mean anything. However, the above issue must be clarified.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s