70s franchise league-little different

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Davesodu

70s franchise league-little different

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Up about a week and lots of views but no interest. I will kill this league.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Let's start with the usual 70s league rules-
$80M cap
DH
12 teams
Waivers
Free Agent penalty 5%/10%/20%
No salary floor

What makes this one different - ignore the teams listed on the players card. For your franchise you can pick any player that played for your franchise between 1970-1979. Examples:
1) Hank Aaron (I think everyone reading this thread knows this so I don't think I giving anything away for him). Aaron's 5 cards all list him with Atlanta. But he played with the Braves & the Brewers during the 70s so either team can draft him even though he doesn't have a card for the Brewers.
2) Al Downing - he has a card for the '66 Yankees listed on his 1970s card. But he last played for the Yankees in 1969 so the Yankees cannot own him in this league even though he does have a Yankees year on his card.

Draft - will do a randomizer for the draft order once we have 12 teams.
Stadiums - pick a stadium for your drafted team. I think a stadium is listed for all probable choices. There are some stadiums in use in the 70s that are not listed, like the Kingdome. If you do pick a team like the Mariners you can pick any available stadium since your stadium isn't available. Given the players available to the Mariners or any other team in this position I don't think this will occur.
Trades - allowable but everyone involved must be eligible for both teams. If the Braves have Aaron they can trade him to the Brewers but must receive guys that played for the Braves in the 70s in return. The Braves cannot trade Aaron to any team other than the Brewers.

I haven't gone through all the teams but I am pretty sure there will be 12 available franchises that could complete under these rules, depending on the draft (luck or skill). You have the teams that played in multiple World Series and teams that made multiple playoffs but never advanced. Add in teams active in free agency and those acquiring star players at the end of their careers and I think whoever drafts last will still have a good team to put together. Normally in a 70s franchise league the Reds will be huge favorites over the Brewers. But if Brewers get Aaron and a couple other guys in the draft and Cincy loses out on some of their stars to other teams it could even it up quickly.

BaseballReference.com will be the bible for the league eligibility. If a player has 1 AB or 1 pitching appearance for your franchise listed on this site he is eligible.

Questions? 1st time I put together a league so lets see if this format gets any traction.

1. davesodu

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s