please explain the draft?

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

scorehouse

please explain the draft?

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 am

90's game. I had Pedro, Maddux, Clemens as my top 3 picks. I didn't get any of the 3 but a team in my division got both Pedro and Clemens. how does this happen? I thought if I missed Pedro, then Maddux, I would get Clemens before another team gets him as their second pick? what am I missing?

ycbill

Re: please explain the draft?

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 12:09 pm

From the game rules:

How the Auto List Draft works

The Auto List Draft uses the following logic to draft the teams:
If a player was selected by only one team, that team gets him.
If a player was selected by more than one team:
The team that ranked that player highest gets him.
If more than one team tied for ranking that player the highest:
That player is randomly awarded to one of those teams that ranked him the same.
For each team that lost out on a player:
The team receives the next highest-priced available player that is not on another team's draft card and has the same primary position of the original player that the team lost out on. The player received cannot exceed the original player's salary unless no other players remain at or below the original player's salary.

scorehouse

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Sam's randomness sux. guess my name is Random

stratorat

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 8:07 pm

DUCKS were not feeling good about our draft before reading this thread.......
We were the "the team" that got Martinez and Clemens- guess we can compete after all!

Mumford

PostSat Feb 22, 2020 10:57 pm

scorehouse wrote:90's game. I had Pedro, Maddux, Clemens as my top 3 picks. I didn't get any of the 3 but a team in my division got both Pedro and Clemens. how does this happen? I thought if I missed Pedro, then Maddux, I would get Clemens before another team gets him as their second pick? what am I missing?

The player goes to highest seeded pick. You were unlucky in losing Pedro in a tie, Clemens was a #2 pick which beats your #3 Someone probably put Maddux as #1 which beats your #2.

coyote303

PostSun Feb 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Drafting is an art (more than a science). However, picking a player #3 who is likely to be someone's #1 pick is a almost always a losing strategy.

Even picking the best player at #1 is a risk. For example, Pedro is likely to be at least one other manager's #1 pick. I'm not saying you shouldn't pick him, but don't be shocked when you don't get him.

In my latest 60s draft, overall I did really well--so well that I had the last waiver pick. However, I missed out on my first pick, Willie McCovey who has a monster card. I took a chance and I lost. I didn't even keep the guy I got instead (Bill White). Also, I never have picked Sandy Koufax. He was my favorite player growing up, and I would love to build a team around him. However, I figure my chance to get him, even as my #1 pick, is less than 50 percent.

Of course, you never can tell. Sometimes a Pedro, a Sandy, or a Willie don't get picked at all because everyone figures somebody else will list them as their first pick. That's why I say the draft is an art. It also involves a lot of luck!

Radagast Brown

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 6:54 pm

If you see me in your league you can feel comfortable in the knowledge that I will never have a SP in my top three picks. Sometimes I won't have a SP in my top six.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s