80s Theme League - Repricing the 80s

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

franky35

80s Theme League - Repricing the 80s

PostSat May 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Theme League - Repricing the 80s
I think that the 80s have the worst player pricing. So, besides having fun, the purpose of this league is to show what fairer prices would be. Basically, in this league, we used sealed bids to draft our starting roster. Once the season starts, league play continues as usual.
The rules look complex, but I will walk people through each step so that it is fair. The league will play like any other league, except we will keep track of each team’s adjusted salary cap (I explain this is in step 4).
Rules:
1. Step 1: 50% discount. This is step is to pick players that you want on your team but are overpriced and usually go undrafted. Each GM submits to the draft umpire a list of up to 4 players that they would like at a 50% discount. The players must have a list price of at least 1.5 mil. Then the umpire will publish the list of the players selected in Step 1. If a player is selected by more than one manager, then that player is not eligible for a 50% discount. If a player you selected goes undrafted in step 2, then he is yours at a 50% discount from list price.
2. Step 2: sealed bids. This step is to bid for players at what you think is a fair price. Each manager submits a list of 25 players along with a bid price for each player. The minimum bid is 90% of list price or 0.75 mil, whichever is higher. There is no maximum allowed bid; however, your list of 25 cannot exceed $80 in total bids. Players selected in Step 1 CAN be listed in Step 2, provided the bid is at least 90% of list price. If you “won” a player in Step 1, you do not need to list him in step 2, but you can be outbid and lose the player.
3. The draft umpire will list all the bids (so we can see what people think prices should be) and will list rosters for each team based on the players “won” in steps 1 and 2 and the total bid-salaries for each roster. You must include your selected (“won”) players on your autodraft card. Each team has a maximum starting salary of 80 mil calculated on the bid salaries plus the normal list prices for any player that was not selected in steps 1 or 2.
4. Adjusted Salary Cap. Each team will play the season using an 80 mil cap that is modified by the total bid-salary. So, Adjusted Salary Cap = 80 – ((sum of bid prices of players from steps 1 and 2) – (sum of list prices for those same players)). That will be your salary cap for the entire season.
5. Trades are allowed, but each player maintains his bid-salary throughout the season. This is similar to most professional sports that have a salary cap. You cannot make a trade for a player if the resulting team salary exceeds your adjusted salary cap. Trading away a player having a bid-salary that is above list price will increase your adjusted salary cap.
6. In the preseason or regular season, you may cut and add players. If you cut a player that you won at a higher bid price, then you get back only his list price and your adjusted salary cap is unchanged. If you cut a player that you won in steps 1 or 2 at a salary that is lower than list price, then your adjusted salary cap will be reduced by the difference between the bid price and list price (this is to prevent scamming the rules to unfairly increase your salary cap).
7. 0% free agent penalty for in-season moves. Your total team salary must always remain below your adjusted salary cap. I chose 0% so we don’t have to recalculate salary cap when we cut players. All players revert to list price as free agents.
Last edited by franky35 on Sat May 11, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franky35

Re: 80s Theme League - Repricing the 80s

PostSat May 11, 2019 5:26 pm

1. franky35

volunteer draft umpire:

The volunteer draft umpire is to umpire the draft. It has to be someone who has been in leagues with me and plays honorably. To ensure fairness, I will be the first person to send my draft card to the umpire, also, I will send my same draft card to the 2nd person who has submitted his draft card.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s