2024 Players' Championship needs a commissioner

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

ScumbyJr

Re: 2024 Players' Championship needs a commissioner

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 pm

$100M Unleashed DH makes more sense to me than $100M No DH. The reason being no DH will shrink the player pool making some poor fielding big hitters mostly unusable. The Unleashed set will expand the pool and put more high cost cards into play.
Last edited by ScumbyJr on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mighty moose

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 pm

Barnstormers also got a jump from the pandemic, but we settled back to right around 150 and have stayed there. With my urging SOM to advertise for us in multiple places and my ability to SPAM all of the Barnstormers Players in my database by email, I am optimistic. :o

mighty moose

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:$100M Unleashed DH makes more sense to me than $100M No DH. The reason being no DH will shrink the player pool making some poor fielding big hitters mostly unusable. The Unleashed set will expand the pool and put more high cost cards into play.

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

waynick

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 12:52 am

For a current season, I don't think No DH is applicable. Pitchers don't hit anymore, so they are all 1W except for Ohtani.
I like multiple salary caps and also like getting bonus for winning your league and championships. Never understood why that changed you play to win your league and then the championship that should be rewarded. So I like the Barnstormer point system better.

ScumbyJr

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 8:43 am

waynick wrote:For a current season, I don't think No DH is applicable. Pitchers don't hit anymore, so they are all 1W except for Ohtani.
I like multiple salary caps and also like getting bonus for winning your league and championships. Never understood why that changed you play to win your league and then the championship that should be rewarded. So I like the Barnstormer point system better.

The point system was changed because losing a finals in 7 games should count more than getting swept.

waynick

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 10:44 am

I think the point system, Barnstormer uses would get the team 3 points for losing the playoff series but still winning 3 games . I was just trying to say that I like the Barnstormers point system better. I like the champion to get some bonus points.

mighty moose

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 11:23 am

XHowser Jr. has volunteered to be on the Players board. The point system might be the first thing for the board to work out. Any other long time Players participants or past winners may also join the board. My email was listed in an earlier post. You will need to be willing to give your email out to other board members so we can discuss things in a group. I'd would like to see 4.

SOM and I like the idea of using the unleashed set at DH.

Right at the moment, here is the proposed format.

Event 1 CHOICE (only 60/80/100 all DH no unleashed)
Event 2 100 DH
Event 3 60 DH
Event 4 80 DH
Event 5 100 unleashed DH

Top 9 go to finals - 3 remaining finalists come from 3 (12 team) semi finals where the winner gains the final spots.

teamnasty

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm

Given that the playoffs are -- and should be -- 80 m cap leagues, I think that two of the five regular season leagues should also be 80 m leagues instead of the 100m caps proposed above. A third should be 60m, a fourth should be 100m, and the fifth can be choice of 60, 80, or 100. It doesn't make sense to stray too far from the 80m expertise that is required to win the postseason.

moodysix

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 2:28 pm

Sounds like we are moving toward a successful new PC tournament based on the comments above.

My two cents. I am positively thrilled to learn that 9 teams might automatically advance directly from the first five rounds to the finals. I have been advocating for that for some time and have lost twice now in the semifinal qualifying round in the last five years after finishing four times in the top 9. Actually won the PC the year I finished out of the top nine, but I did win my semifinal league that year so I would have qualified anyway for the finals.

I'm not real keen on the league caps over 100M for reasons already listed. The player pool thins too much. Also not real keen on having any non-DH leagues. I don't typically ever consider the fringe unleashed players, but I'd be okay if we wanted to make unleashed an option in a round. Then you'd find out how many people really wanted to do it. Now is a good time to get that settled.

I'd like to also see at least 2 of the first 5 rounds be 80M mandatory since semis and finals are that.

I'm not sure about the need for bonus points in the playoffs. You're already getting bonus points by winning more games there than the other playoff teams. Seems like a sufficient reward.

Finally, I would like to see the semifinal and final rounds be at least the 3 round live draft and preferably 6-8 rounds. I know we can occasionally get hung up if someone delays us with their pick, but barrmorris's solution for that this year worked wonderfully and nobody seemed to complain.

Happy to have Mighty Moose run this thing. Sounds like he's working through the issues fairly and objectively.

mighty moose

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:46 pm

I'm hearing that this years set seems to be higher priced. If we went to (2) 80 Mil leagues, they might need to be strictly 80 Mil DH. Also, that the UNLEASHED set are also particulatly higher priced players and may benefit from 100 Mil.

That being said, is this more on point ?

I like the CHOICE event to be first to get it out of the way.

Event 1 CHOICE 60/80/100 DH no unleashed
Event 2 80 Mil DH
Event 3 60 Mil DH
Event 4 100 Mil DH Unleashed
Event 5 80 Mil DH

If I am hearing you correctly, consider this NEXT proposal.

Like I said, I am unfamiliar with this card set and I am relying on you and the volunteering board members to guide me.

Moose
Last edited by mighty moose on Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship