2023 Players Championship - Preliminary Plan

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

barrmorris

Re: 2023 Players Championship - Preliminary Plan

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 4:18 pm

Oops, I was wrong - I was looking for old notifications and saw that Mr Baseball World did send a personal message on the eve of the start of the tournament. So - I am changing my mind and will start a sign-up thread soon. I will pm anyone who signs-up, a reminder right before opening the first event.

chaberlal

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 2:22 pm

I didn't get anything...

I wish I was considered and get an invite...

barrmorris

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 pm

Look for a sign-up thread this week.

chaberlal

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 3:20 pm

thanks a lot buddy...

my team is already marked...

ready for draft..

:lol: :D :lol:

RandyW64

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 9:58 am

I have a quick question on the rules if you can please?
For ballparks it says you can’t reuse a ballpark even in playoffs. Then it says you may reuse a ballpark in the finals? Was this a typo or rule change? Not that I have any chance of reaching the finals — just wanted to clarify?
Thank you barmorris for your efforts on this and taking over!
Randy

barrmorris

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:22 am

randal64 wrote:I have a quick question on the rules if you can please?
For ballparks it says you can’t reuse a ballpark even in playoffs. Then it says you may reuse a ballpark in the finals? Was this a typo or rule change? Not that I have any chance of reaching the finals — just wanted to clarify?
Thank you barmorris for your efforts on this and taking over!
Randy

Good catch. I did not intend to change the rules on Ballparks so I will change that back - you may not reuse a ballpark - even in the finals.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 11:43 am

May I humbly suggest you ask Strat to make a banner to advertise the tourney. It should help attract managers.

mpcharette

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 11:02 am

barrmorris wrote:I’ve contacted Strat-O-Matic to get started on organizing this year’s Player’s Championship. This message is just to get some preliminary information out there, before the official page gets posted.

My plan is to run the Tournament much as it has been done in the last couple of years. That is, there will be no sign-up thread or assignment to leagues. We will just fill leagues one at a time (or two if there is a choice of league parameters).

I’ve read through much of the forum to see some of the issues that have been discussed. One topic that has had a lot of discussion is the 3-round draft (used for semis and finals), and in general the “reward” for earning a higher seed in the semis. At this time, I have decided to stick to last year’s approach, and I just hope that I can do as well as Jeepdriver did at moving the drafts along. I read a lot of good arguments for change and will consider that in future years, but I feel the need to make minimal changes in my first year.

I also read some concern about the range of league start-dates within an event. Concern was especially for Event 5 since that causes a long delay, for some, from the conclusion of Event 5 to the beginning of the semis. This year, I will partially address this by narrowing the window for entry into Event 5. We’ll see if that helps.

I also wanted to make a change to the parameters for Event 5. Last year, Event 5 was 80M no DH. Since the actual 2022 season had all teams playing with a DH, I’m not sure I like a no DH event. I don’t mind the Event 3 option, since it is an option. I could have made Event 5 an option too, but I’m also a little leery of that since if would potentially increase the need for fillers. As I mentioned above, I don’t want delays in getting the leagues in Event 5 started. So, I landed on $90M DH, just to create a slightly different set of parameters.

The following is my preliminary schedule.

Event 1 – 80M DH
Open: Saturday, April 15
No new leagues after: Monday, April 24, 6 pm
Deadline to enter: Tuesday, April 25, 6 pm

Event 2 – 80M DH or 100M DH
Open: Saturday, May 6
No new leagues after: Monday, May 15, 6 pm
Deadline to enter: Tuesday, May 16, 6 pm

Event 3 – 60M No DH or 60M DH
Open: Saturday, June 3
No new leagues after: Monday, June 12, 6 pm
Deadline to enter: Tuesday, June 13, 6 pm

Event 4 – 100M DH
Open: Saturday, July 1
No new leagues after: Monday, July 10, 6 pm
Deadline to enter: Tuesday, July 11, 6 pm

Event 5 – 90M DH
Open: Saturday, July 29
No new leagues after: Thursday, August 3, 6 pm
Deadline to enter: Friday, August 4, 6 pm

(In events 1-2, entries after the deadline are welcome from anyone until the final league fills, if the late-arriving participant is also in an earlier league, they will be considered a filler. In events 3 – 5, all entries after the deadline will be considered fillers)

Sounds great; I love the 90M cap idea. Thank you for taking charge.

moodysix

PostSun Apr 09, 2023 4:34 am

As per Axlerod's previous post, please consider not starting the tourney until players have had a chance to see the banner from Strat advertising the tournament. The banner has always been very pivotal in helping to garner sufficient interest in the tournament so that we can maximize participation and competition.

Any idea when that banner might post from Strat? Thanks for checking!

moodysix

PostTue Apr 11, 2023 9:50 am

Haven't heard anything yet about Strat publishing the advertising banner for our new upcoming PC tournament. In order to try to facilitate our participation numbers a bit, I've sent out emails to all of the leagues I was in last year about the tournament signup. Perhaps others can do the same so we can get this thing off to a good start. We need to generate some buzz.

We had around 140 participants two years ago when Strat published an advance notice for us. It'd be nice to see our numbers go back up instead of continuing on a downward trajectory. I think this tournament is one of the premiere tournaments in Strat since it requires us owners to evaluate a whole new player set every year.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship