2022 Players Championship

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

bob711

Re: 2022 Players Championship

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 10:51 am

J-Pav wrote:Question for this year - does League 2 have to ultimately wait on the other leagues to fill in order start the season? That is, are all three leagues launching simultaneously?

I don't think this question was answered. Is there any reason why League 2 can't start loading?

Palmtana

PostMon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

The title of the thread that League 2 used for drafting reads: "Semi-Finals League 2 League will be set up today."

Axlerod Gunderson

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 7:43 pm

Besides my experiences with danno this semi-final draft has been the worst experience I’ve had in my 20 years of playing online Strat. Honestly speaking. 2 weeks for 36 picks to be made. Obnoxious and maddening. A lesson on how not to run it…

J-Pav

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 8:04 pm

At some point the managers should have to address all this. Unfortunately, the vast majority of managers just go along to get along and will not provide any feedback.

We discussed all this last year, and switched to a semis draft to provide “fairness” to high points earners. Then I read that since enough managers didn’t participate in the discussion, it wasn’t really a mandate, just a friendly suggestion anyway. Um, what?

What are we doing? 36 guys drafting is a proven disaster. Nothing I saw in three drafts led me to believe that drafting semis picks is any substantial kind of “reward”. Drafting ballparks is painful enough as it is. I still think the best compromise for next year is one player and a ballpark in the same round. We’re drafting ballparks anyway, the fairness guys get a draft pick, and we avoid wasting a week with the nonsense we saw this year.

I’m not opposed to writing in hard deadlines into the rules either (we used to adhere to them). Managers should be required to check in with a quick status and be ready to draft and load after season five is complete (on the same day for everyone). If they choose not to, then they should be subject to getting bumped after reasonable consideration.

There is a crazy lot to go over, but full circle, “the vast majority of managers just go along to get along and will not provide any feedback.” The managers that actually care will be the top 36 managers for NEXT YEAR. Unfortunately, by then it’s already too late.

ScumbyJr

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 8:25 pm

I believe having all leagues in event 5 end the same time would clean up some if not of lot of this. At the very least it allows for a hard deadline for the semis.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 pm

You could draft all 25 picks for all 12 teams in a ‘live draft’ in a matter of hours.

J-Pav

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:02 pm

I agree it sounds totally easy and has been discussed many times. Extremely difficult to get any kind of agreement there, not to mention for the players outside the U.S. and Canada. It’s hard to to get two players to agree on a day and time, let alone 12-36 managers. Conflicting schedules simply won’t allow for it. Look on the league directory and see how many scheduled live drafts go totally unfilled.

The easiest actual solution is a no ballpark restriction autodraft, but no one is clamoring for that either.

toshiro

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:02 pm

It seems like a decent number of mgrs in the final 36 are extremely ‘casual’ players — enough to stop a live draft cold based on their natural cadence. They don’t check the boards, certainly not with any decent frequency. What seemed to be effective was pinging their email directly. That generally got a response with an hour or less.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:12 pm

J-Pav wrote:I agree it sounds totally easy and has been discussed many times. Extremely difficult to get any kind of agreement there, not to mention for the players outside the U.S. and Canada. It’s hard to to get two players to agree on a day and time, let alone 12-36 managers. Conflicting schedules simply won’t allow for it. Look on the league directory and see how many scheduled live drafts go totally unfilled.

The easiest actual solution is a no ballpark restriction autodraft, but no one is clamoring for that either.

The commish sets the time. Period. We could draft the ballpark only on the forum at a set time . 12 picks .

Juiced JC

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:20 pm

For what it's worth the Mystery Tournament did a live draft for the finals (12 teams) for the first time this past year. All 12 agreed on a time and used the 365 Live Draft feature. Took 2 hours. Now I can't see this ever working with 36, but something to consider for the final 12 next year. I think it ends up being 12 of the more engaged and attentive players that tend to make the top 12, which makes consensus on a date and time for a draft a little easier.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship