2022 Players Championship

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

Mr Baseball World

2022 Players Championship

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 3:26 pm

Here are my thoughts and goals for next year.

A number of rules need to be clarified or maybe changed including the penalty for reusing a stadium. There are others as well. If there are live drafts next year there will need to be a starting date set before checking and rules about a clock.

Schedule needs to be set up well in advance and we need a board in place so that if I (or whomever is commissioner next year) am not on top of things that they can roll out the leagues on time with NO delays

My ideal is that I will get drafts of new rules in place and have a five to seven member board to decide what changes to enact etc. If I am commissioner I will not be one of the 5-7 and will not take part in deciding.

Throw any and all suggestions in here. My goal is to have some ideas for people to look at by December 1 and a board in place by then or maybe January 1 at the latest.

Axlerod Gunderson

Re: 2022 Players Championship

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 4:04 pm

A few off the top of my head….

1. Drafts should begin the day following the conclusion of the season or last series at a set time.

2. There should be a set time for a manager to make his/her picks with forfeiture of place or pick as consequence.

3. There should be 1 commissioner with final say and 2 or more aides.

4. Commissioner and aides should be dedicated and have ample time to do the duties timely enough to ensure the smooth running of the tourney.

5. Better use of banners and emails to keep everyone in the tourney informed and on the same page.

6. If we implement a roll call it should be conducted 1-2week(s) before the end of the season so everyone has time to sign 0n.
Last edited by Axlerod Gunderson on Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toshiro

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Clock/pick forfeiture is not a bad idea. But in current circumstances will only help if these guys show up in the next 24-36 hours.

If it is going to be 3-5 days, it won't help much -- the leagues will still be stuck. They probably need to be replaced, so maybe set up ( for next year ) rules/contingency for that, with it known ahead of time that if you don't hit the time check ins/requirements you will get bumped.

RandyW64

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 4:40 pm

I would hate to have someone play 5 events, make the semi's, and then go away for a couple of days camping with the family, and get bumped out of the tourney?

I seem to recall someone got bumped last year though, so I don't know?

J-Pav

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 4:58 pm

Question for this year - does League 2 have to ultimately wait on the other leagues to fill in order start the season? That is, are all three leagues launching simultaneously?

RandyW64

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 5:17 pm

J-Pav wrote:Question for this year - does League 2 have to ultimately wait on the other leagues to fill in order start the season? That is, are all three leagues launching simultaneously?

J-Pav -- do you mean because we are all on top of things and they are "laggers"? hehehehe :lol:

J-Pav

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Well, if we’re just racing to a stoplight, then we might as well wait here for awhile and let the other leagues figure this mess out.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 5:23 pm

I agree that it would suck for someone to play 5 events, make the semis, and then get bumped because of a prior obligation, emergency illness, whatever. However, I don't see inattention as a good reason (not that I know that is a problem) but that was a problem with some leagues this season. I think the key to this is communication both from the tourney to the players but also players to the tourney.

A couple of my thoughts. From the 2021 rules

"Entry deadlines will be strictly imposed as I’ve outlined."

This is where things probably went off the rails the entire tournament. How many times were players being cajoled to get into a league well past the deadline but with no consequences. This is where Moose does it well and perhaps that is because he uses emails instead of the discussion boards. All leagues start at the same time and you get your invitation to the league. He oversubscribes so that they fill and the people late to the game get moved to another league. He sets them all to start the same Monday instead of staggering them. Some of us finished our league 5 championships weeks ago and likely drifted away waiting for the others to finish. I think being bumped out of event 2 because you weren't paying attention will get rid of the riff raff and/or focus people on paying attention. I work at a computer most days so I have lots of time to follow this, and I understand some people don't have that luxury, but checking the board or the tournament page on your phone every couple days is not a burdensome chore and should be part of the obligation of participating in the tournament.

Rules are rules, which is point 2. We had multiple sets of rules posted this year and not all of us were working off the same rules. We need to make sure what it says on the tournament page is the same set of rules we have on the boards. I played all 5 seasons thinking I was earning 7 high draft choices and a ballpark here rather than just 3 based on the rules posted on the tournament page, and I admit I was disappointed when that didn't happen. Same thing with the start dates. They were posted on the page but different things were being said on the board. 1 set of rules.

As to J-Pav's question, I have zero official say in this, but I think all leagues should start the same time. For one thing, it will keep people from drifting away, but for another, its a tournament where the leagues should be running simultaneously.

And finally, all of this is just my 2 cents, and admittedly given while home sick and feeling not good.

clarkelectricpasco

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 6:35 pm

One suggestion, right or wrong, would be for next year during roll call before semis and finals, you have to agree that after 24 hrs goes by and a pick has not been made during the draft, the highest salaried player on the board (pitcher or batter) is given to that person and then we move on to the next. That way, they are still in the game and highest salaried players are many times not the best pick at that time but also not the worst. Some guys may have legitimate excuses for missing their picks and this way it is still somewhat fair.

This still does not solve the ballpark pick issue however.

My 2 cents

SiblinRivals

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 3:39 pm

randal64 wrote:I would hate to have someone play 5 events, make the semi's, and then go away for a couple of days camping with the family, and get bumped out of the tourney?

I seem to recall someone got bumped last year though, so I don't know?

Agreed. Folks spend six months in this trying to get to the playoffs in 5 events. I have picked now but was delayed. Was on business through last night and hopped in a car and am now in Northern MN deer hunting with minimal service. Things happen in real life. Heck, real life with the Commish happened a few times this session as well. And that's ok. The commish himself was busy and offline for a bit and J-Pav was posting playoff projections, there were questions from others, etc before he eventually weighed in. Yes, a roll call occurred, but there was no indication on any date until it was announced.

That said, I'll reiterate my apologies to my league for my delay. I know we are all eager!

That said, as a newbie who has not participated previously, I would say the rule suggestion stated by Mr BBW as it relates to an official date would be ideal. Could solve a lot.

We should have a fairly good idea, based on the start date of the last league in the final session, when the playoffs will likely start. Sure, it might be +/- a day or two based on how those playoffs go, but an announcement during that final league saying, for example, "The semifinal league draft will start on Nov 15" would be great...

I know people are anxious to start, but even if the final regular league went 4 games for semis and finals, and the start date was calculated based on them both going 7, the MOST the delay would be would be six days. And it's unlikely it will be 4 and 4... there will probably just be a couple of days wait, during which time we could make sure folks were all set.

I received a reminder from strato today. it would be awesome if all 36 participants could get even a single email (mine is set up to also show it as a text) from Strato with a reminder of the start. If that happened, and penalties for delays want to be instituted (as someone suggested), there would be more ground for a commissioner/board to stand on if someone was skipped. I know this is an extra task for Strato management...but Given that there were basically 100 players spending 5 credits in this thing, it is not too much to ask for them to do that.

Whatever the board would be, I would have a mix of players so different viewpoints could happen. Veterans and newer players (not saying that to volunteer myself, I would happily pass). ..Having some new blood makes sense because they can give a fresh look on things (i.e. stadium penalty).

Lots of boards and non-profits have the next year's board president (in this case Commish) serve on the board as well and work with the current commish. So if someone is commish this year, and we have a board of 5-7, should have someone named as the commish for the following year who could assist. Having a board would be great, as someone else also said, in the event the commish was unavailable.

Anyone who has spent 5 credits has a right to weigh in on things, and there should be specific time to discuss rules, but once they are set, discussing them in-season isn't ideal. Having a slew of comments on the forums about "what should happen" in a certain instance (that half the time are just people expressing frustration since the commish will have to decide anyway) isn't overly productive. So making sure each offseason that rules are clarified and are set in such a way to avoid gray areas (as happened with the stadium overuse question) would be great. That said, if Mr. BWW wants to continue as commish, that's fine by me. A lot of work to be sure.

I think this was extremely well run league. I would welcome Mr. BWW as a continued commissioner, but having done large leagues before, it isn't easy. Having a board to help him would be great.

Good luck to everyone in the semi's!
Next

Return to --- Player's Championship