Semi-Finals League 1 - Play ball

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

Juiced JC

Re: Semi-Finals League 1 - In Round 3

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Hi Siblin, in your example, the team that missed out on Dominic Smith would NOT get Freeman because you have Freeman on your list, even though he is at the bottom. In the draft process, when someone ranks a player you are trying to draft higher than you, you miss out on that player and get the next highest available salary player at that position that is NOT on ANYONE'S draft list in ANY position on the list.

I hope that makes sense.

Juiced JC

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 4:50 pm

Also, Freeman has a higher salary than Smith so the example did not make sense from that perspective either.

J-Pav

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Juiced JC is correct.

If you card three players that no one else has carded, you get those three players. What you described has never happened before. If you don’t get a pick, it goes to the next lowest priced player, who remains unselected on anyone else’s draft card.

J-Pav

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 4:54 pm

From the Strat Rules, all is revealed. I remain amazed how infrequently managers refer to this, but literally every single detail is addressed in the game rules:

How the Auto List Draft works

The Auto List Draft uses the following logic to draft the teams:
If a player was selected by only one team, that team gets him.

If a player was selected by more than one team:
The team that ranked that player highest gets him.

If more than one team tied for ranking that player the highest:
That player is randomly awarded to one of those teams that ranked him the same.

For each team that lost out on a player:
The team receives the next highest-priced available player that is not on another team's draft card and has the same primary position of the original player that the team lost out on. The player received cannot exceed the original player's salary unless no other players remain at or below the original player's salary.

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Quick tough answer: It picks the next highest player at the position who is not on anyone else’s draft list. So it won’t give anyone else Freeman if you have him listed 23. It will pass over him and go to the next first baseman not on anyone’s list

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Slow again. Started and work interrupted. Probably mentioned bry others but it works down in salary so there is no concern of running out of money before the last picks so you get a cheaper player for each player you miss out on

hendrix08

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 6:14 pm

In short, if you put your 3 players at the bottom of your draft list, you will get them, as long no one mistakenly puts them on their draft card. If so they will be required to trade them back to you immediately after the draft.

cummings2

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 pm

I am still here, Wednesdays are super busy for me, will likey load my team when I get home in 4-5 hrs, my apologies for slight delay,

C2

SiblinRivals

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 10:55 pm

hendrix, JC, Jpav, Mr. BBW:
Thanks all for your input. Very much helpful.

I had said it the opposite way that I intended, as JC pointed out, and thanks for the clarification. For example, If it were the next lowest and I wanted, say Goldschmidt (the #2 1b) my fear would be goldschmidt would be gone and it would revert to the next lowest player (i.e.) #3 DJ Lamaheiu, who was drafted.

I see from your explanations that it isn't the next lowest, but the next lowest who is NOT on a list. so THANK YOU.

And J-Pav, it's good for managers like you that read all the rules that there are people like me out there that don't. Makes us easier pickin's :)

Regardless, thanks again to the several who cleared it up for me!

hendrix08

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:08 pm

Well, another point of clarification for your example; the next lowest player is selected based on primary position only, so Lemahieu would not be a replacement for a 1B. Abreu would be next up as a 1B (if not on someone else's card) if you missed out on Goldschmidt.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship