• Author

Axlerod Gunderson

Re: *** ATTENTION: Updated Roll Call and Vote***

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:22 pm

When do we start this draft?

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Clarification and rulings from the Commishioner will be great, unfortunately I don’t think everyone is going to in agreement as to how this all shakes out.

I disagree that the official rules page can simply be ignored, the same way I disagree that the results of the polls for changing the rules can simply be ignored.

I’m not looking to get my way, truthfully I care little about how it might come out. I’m trying to encourage discussion to get us to some sort of consensus.

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:29 pm

The draft starts when The Commishioner starts it up.

chad_stacy

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:51 pm

B I guess, but really don’t care

GoDucks

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 6:34 pm

My 2-cents is to follow the rules as outlined by MBW in the forum post “2021 Player Championship Rules” (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=649874). I don’t know about everyone else, but I always referred to the forum rules whenever I needed clarification on something while playing in Events 1-5.

The rules posted under the Rules tab on the tournament page (https://365.strat-o-matic.com/tournament/41 ) are indeed different in some key areas, but to be honest, I don’t think I ever looked at those, and certainly didn’t refer to them once play started.

I would suspect a large majority of participants in this year’s tour also relied on the forum rules as their “Bible” during the playing of Events 1-5, thus the nearly 1,100 reviews of that thread since it was originally posted on May 19. Adding support to this line of reasoning is the paragraph in the forum rules under the subhead Communication. It states:

“Most of our communication, signups, etc. will be held on the Players Championship forum, and by occasional private messages. For transparency on overall league matters, let’s discuss things in the forums. For matters pertaining to an individual situation, question, or problem, please use the PM button (personal message).”

Nowhere in that paragraph is there a reference to the tournament page or the rules contained therein.

So, my interpretation is that there will be a three-round non-serpentine draft for the semis. The first two rounds will be a player and Round 3 will be a player AND a unique ballpark, with both player and ballpark selected at the same time unless, as stated in the rules, one wants to defer their ballpark pick. So, ultimately, we’d all be picking three players and a park.

I also believe whatever is decided for the Semis should also be used for the Finals.

As for the polls cited by J-Pav, I would not consider them binding, but more of a way to gauge sentiment and be a possible aid in the rules writing process. Neither poll had an overwhelming number of participants.

As several others have stated, whatever is decided here really makes no difference to me personally. I’d be fine with an Auto Draft for both the Semis & Finals, but having some sort of draft does give those who are seeded higher a reward for their success in the regular season.

Juiced JC

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:13 pm

My thoughts - this is why we have a commissioner - we need him to make a call on this. A vote doesn't really make sense at this point because we would all vote for whatever favours us at this point - top half of the standings voting one way, bottom half the other. So I'd just like a decision from the Commish that everyone just respects and goes with, and then we can move on and start the semis one way or the other.

SteadyEddie33

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:27 pm

I get that find it hard to ignore a post by the commish entitled “2021 Player Championship Rules.” I assumed that it was meant to supersede previous statements. The poll seemed to be a request for input, not a vote on policy; Mr. BW could clear that up as well. There was ample opportunity for him to alter them mid-tourney to clarify and/or revise. Likewise, we could have had this discussion months ago, so...

Though I appreciate J-Pav stepping up to point out the discrepancy and potential misunderstandings, I think it'd be odd to make wholesale change to the procedures from the forum post.

RandyW64

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 pm

I think this should be the rule since I agree we’ve all been assuming it is since it was posted:

So, my interpretation is that there will be a three-round non-serpentine draft for the semis. The first two rounds will be a player and Round 3 will be a player AND a unique ballpark, with both player and ballpark selected at the same time unless, as stated in the rules, one wants to defer their ballpark pick. So, ultimately, we’d all be picking three players and a park.

Randy

mbertolli

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 8:56 pm

Rules as posted.

freeman

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 9:56 pm

Juiced JC wrote:My thoughts - this is why we have a commissioner - we need him to make a call on this. A vote doesn't really make sense at this point because we would all vote for whatever favours us at this point - top half of the standings voting one way, bottom half the other. So I'd just like a decision from the Commish that everyone just respects and goes with, and then we can move on and start the semis one way or the other.

Yep, I don't think there is a completely obvious way to resolve the discrepancy, though the 1,000+ views probably does indicate that post in the forums was most relied on by players. Let the commish impartially make the call as quickly as possible and let's move on. I do think the only two options are auto draft or the procedure described by BW in the forums. I can't see that the poll would be binding on the commish. But again his call!
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship