*** ATTENTION: Updated Roll Call - Drafts Underway ***

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

J-Pav

Re: *** ATTENTION: Updated Roll Call and Vote***

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 4:47 pm

The rules are also clearly stated on the tournament page as chris_s points out. Do we just disregard that?

Axlerod Gunderson

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Yes. We do.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 4:59 pm

Far too late to complain now..

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:03 pm

I don’t think chris_s is complaining, he’s just pointing to the rules on the tournament page. I’m not sure everyone will agree with you here, but let’s see where things go. I’m actually now reconsidering voting A.

It’s actually the best choice if the “rules are the rules”.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:08 pm

It doesn’t matter what they think. It’s not up for a vote. The commish changed the rules in the very beginning when he created the post ‘2021 Player Championship Rules’.

ScumbyJr

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Axlerod Gunderson wrote:It doesn’t matter what they think. It’s not up for a vote. The commish changed the rules in the very beginning when he created the post ‘2021 Player Championship Rules’.

This is from the thread Axelrod references. (The other Rules cited are obtaining from clicking a link on the Tourney page)
2021Players Championship Rules

Playoffs

Semi-Finals
Top 36 Managers play in three leagues of 12
(All 12 playoff qualifiers advance to Tour Champions League)
Start Date: Around November 15
Salary Cap: $80,000,000 (standard)
DH Rule: Yes (standard)
Free Agent Drop Penalty: 5/10/20

There will be a three round non-serpentine draft. Round 3 will be a player and also a unique ballpark to be done on the forum boards. Players will have the option in Round 3 to defer their ballpark pick if anyone feels there is an advantage to picking last so in essence the top seed could be last to select a ballpark, 2nd could be last or just before(depending on whether top seed waited etc The draft order will be the order of finish in tour points. Since each semi-finalist will have already used five different ballparks in Events I-V, they may not re-use those ballparks in the semi-finals. So, if a manager is picking 12th for the live ballpark draft in the semi-finals, he will have to choose from one of the 14 remaining ballparks (30 minus 5, minus 11 ballparks already drafted in that semi-final event).
Last edited by ScumbyJr on Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:13 pm

But not on the official tournament rules page. I’m glad the managers are starting to get the crux of the problem before us.

Your opinions/votes need to be heard.

From the official rules on the tournament page:

Playoffs

There will be an eight pick live draft for the Tour Championship, consisting of seven players and a ballpark, to be done on the forums. The draft will NOT be serpentine for the finals - i.e., the draft order will be repeated in each round. These "seeding" rules for the draft order provide an incentive and a reward for the managers who finish with the highest scores in Events 1-5.

Reference is made to the slight change in the point system, adding points accumulated in the semi-finals round to the manager's points total from the qualifying rounds. This will effect the final overall standings, impacting the order of picks in the live draft for the Champions League.
Last edited by J-Pav on Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freeman

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:14 pm

The rules were the semis were set by Baseball World in a post called 2021 players championship rules. He is the commish; he set the rules. For the semis:

"Semi-Finals
Top 36 Managers play in three leagues of 12
(All 12 playoff qualifiers advance to Tour Champions League)
Start Date: Around November 15
Salary Cap: $80,000,000 (standard)
DH Rule: Yes (standard)
Free Agent Drop Penalty: 5/10/20

There will be a three round non-serpentine draft. Round 3 will be a player and also a unique ballpark to be done on the forum boards. Players will have the option in Round 3 to defer their ballpark pick if anyone feels there is an advantage to picking last so in essence the top seed could be last to select a ballpark, 2nd could be last or just before(depending on whether top seed waited etc The draft order will be the order of finish in tour points. Since each semi-finalist will have already used five different ballparks in Events I-V, they may not re-use those ballparks in the semi-finals. So, if a manager is picking 12th for the live ballpark draft in the semi-finals, he will have to choose from one of the 14 remaining ballparks (30 minus 5, minus 11 ballparks already drafted in that semi-final event)."

This was full and compete statement of the rules and anything saying or implying anything different--something on the tournament page comes from strat and may be just copied from prior years, whereas BW explicitly stated the complete rules for 2021 in his post--would be superceded or trumped by these rules. And it actually makes a significant difference.

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Mr Baseball World wrote:My off the top of my head recollection is that my assessment was that people wanted the semifinals and finals to be the same and so decided the three rounds maybe best implemented what people wanted.

I think making stadiums be last round Mary have been poor writing by me

Again I will assess when I get home later this afternoon and appreciate all input and everyone’s patience and help in keeping us to this point in my abscence

freeman

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Actually, upon further reflection , there may be an argument for the semis being an autodraft. It's either auto draft or what BW stated, though. I don't know how you resolve that discrepancy.

Maybe we just flip a coin on which way to do it?
Last edited by freeman on Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship