2021 Tour Semis - Final Standings

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

J-Pav

Re: 2021 Tour Semi Finals

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 11:44 pm

Last league goes to Game 7 tomorrow. Standings updated. I can’t stress enough, everybody should be double-checking everything.

If Terry101 wins tomorrow, he moves to 13th.
If chad_stacy wins, he moves to 18th.

SiblinRivals

Re: Tour Semi Finals

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 6:53 pm

J-Pav wrote:My take on the Terry101 stadium penalty.

I believe the quote (which came from me) "You cannot impose a “penalty” on a team that does not count in the official standings anyway." was meant for filler teams reusing stadiums.

Having said that, my interpretation of the rule is that the team which incurs the penalty gets the 20 point penalty. It was not intended to be a penalty against the final score (best four teams). Since the team was already Terry’s worst team, and the score was dropped, there should be no further assessment.

The Commish may see it differently and you guys may see it differently. I recognize that the “one extra stadium to choose from” thing offers a slight unintended advantage. If anyone wants to open it up for discussion, you’re certainly welcome to. Adding a blurb to the rules for future clarity would probably not hurt.

As mentioned in another post rules are rules. The fact that this might have been Terry 101‘s worst team, and result in a drop score, does not the whole story tell. They were other teams that as visitors played in a ballpark but they never should’ve played in. How do we know what the results might’ve been? Sometimes might’ve lost more games sometimes might’ve won more games. But I put all the tiebreakers, every game obviously matters. To assume that because it was a drop score and therefore shouldn’t come in to play I think is a little naïve.

There’s a thread Trying to figure out exactly how to do the draft for the sunrise in the finals. The consensus seems to be we’ve had previous rules in place we need to follow them. I would say we need to apply that to every situation. If there was a rule that was violated whatever the consequence for that rule is should occur

J-Pav

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 11:49 pm

SiblinRivals,

This has been resolved, per the rules.

J-Pav

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 11:52 pm

Congratulations to chad-Stacy for the Game 7 win and the five place jump in the standings.

All leagues are complete.

The standings have been updated. Please double-check your scores and standings as well as for the managers around you.

Commish MBW will have the final say and can take it from here.

Good luck all.

RandyW64

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 11:58 pm

J-Pav wrote:Congratulations to chad-Stacy for the Game 7 win and the five place jump in the standings.

All leagues are complete.

The standings have been updated. Please double-check your scores and standings as well as for the managers around you.

Commish MBW will have the final say and can take it from here.

Good luck all.

Quick question -- for the 3 round draft, after we pick and load our teams, do our live draft guys go at the top when we are listing for the auto draft?
Thanks

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 12:01 am

Bottom.

SiblinRivals

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am

J-Pav wrote:SiblinRivals,

This has been resolved, per the rules.

Where was the post on the resolution “per the rules”? I cannot find it. I only saw your interpretation where you took a stand that the penalty isn’t to the player, but only the particular season...and I’m confused how one could reach that conclusion...

If that were the case, an illegal team could technically win their division, make the semi’s, make the finals, and win the finals. Nowhere does it say that I would be disregarded. Obviously simply doing a 20 game penalty for that particular season in such an instance would be silly.

It seems pretty apparent that the entire season should be eliminated not just 20 games on that season… Imagine having someone Get a penalty on that season but still have the advantage of those important tiebreakers! And if the entire season is eliminated, then clearly the only place for the 20 game penalty should occur for the total score.

Regardless, I’m just interested in seeing where this resolution discussion occurred. If that’s what was decided, so be it, but I would think some clarification in the future would be in order.

J-Pav

Re: 2021 Tour Semis - Final Standings

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 11:40 am

You are correct in that a team using a second stadium could theoretically win 110 games, take a 20 win penalty, and still perform well with a 90 win season.

A possible rule change would be simple disqualification of that particular team. Having said that, to this point, a 20 win penalty has had the same effect, and this is over many years.

The rules simply say that reusing a stadium incurs a 20 point penalty. I agree it should be a little more specific.

REMEMBER: these are our rules (as a community), they are not “Strat365” rules.

Also, I am not The Commishioner, I am a past Commishioner. MBW has the last word this season.

SiblinRivals

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 1:55 pm

J-Pav wrote:You are correct in that a team using a second stadium could theoretically win 110 games, take a 20 win penalty, and still perform well with a 90 win season.

A possible rule change would be simple disqualification of that particular team. Having said that, to this point, a 20 win penalty has had the same effect, and this is over many years.

The rules simply say that reusing a stadium incurs a 20 point penalty. I agree it should be a little more specific.

REMEMBER: these are our rules (as a community), they are not “Strat365” rules.
Also, I am not The Commishioner, I am a past Commishioner. MBW has the last word this season.

J-pav, thanks for the rapid response. Much appreciation...And yes, would love Mr. BBW to jump in.

To clarify, I didn't want you to think my comment was based on the extremely unlikely theoretical chance of a team winning 110 games and getting reduced to 90 and therefore potentially having a season that would still count in their top 4. Never said that or tried to say that. Sorry if it came off to you that way.

About 1/3 of the teams that made the playoffs, won the semis and won the league itself had less than 90 wins. Plenty of 90 plus win teams (including one of mine) did make the playoffs and didn't win, or even get swept.

Under the scenario described, one of those champions who had an 80-89 win season and won their title would be reduced by 20 wins and therefore would likely have that season thrown out as far as win total...but still would have the very important tiebreaker credits for making semis, making finals, winning finals. Given the importance of that, and since it was never mentioned about eliminating playoffs achievement in such a season, my interpretation wasn't just a 20 game penalty to the violation season, but a more significant 20 game penalty overall. That is where I am coming from. Because it simply wouldn't make sense to allow those teams the advantage of those tiebreakers. That is why I draw the conclusion that the 20 wins should apply to the total score.

Whereas a 20 point overall penalty is an actual penalty with teeth... SO I do disagree with you--Bottom line, just doing a 20 point penalty that year wouldn't be the same as eliminating...as eliminating would also remove any of the tiebreaker advantages that could still be achieved. Hence, clarification needed...

But it actually can have consequences...Just penalizing the one season creates another headache I didn't mention--if a manager is already knows that due to the mistake that one season he participated in is likely eliminated, what motivation does that manager have to run his team with as much vigilance? Things happen in life--heck Mr. BBW has become short on time by his own admission--and the priority to that owner might not be adjusting a team on a daily basis to be as competitive as possible, if the owner knows the season is a waste. That means opponents of that team likely have an easier path. We've seen several teams miss by a single win. Would be tough on one of them if they missed by a single win and folks who finished ahead of them did so against subpar competition.

Anyway, I wouldn't be for removing them, simply that a 20 game penalty is assessed to their overall score. There are several teams that could've handled a 20 game penalty and still make the playoffs...heck, a couple could've handled two 20 game penalties :)

Again, appreciate your comments and assistance. I'll be quiet for a bit now until we get an opinion from the commish. This is a fun game and I didn't mean to cause a stir. I just know a few other people who were in this tournament, one of whom was very close (still wouldn't have been the one to make it if the individual in question lost 20 games off their total). Many people spent 5 credits and just want everyone to have a fair shot.

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 2:11 pm

I agree 100% and this is all worth revisiting in the post season debrief and discussion. It’s always a good thing to have managers involved and engaged, we can all appreciate the different perspectives.

Unfortunately, right now, we need to resolve the current situation, which appears to be getting messier than any of us first anticipated.

Let’s discuss this further at a later date, if that’s okay? The rules regarding a 20 point penalty for reusing a ballpark have been applied equally and evenly to this point.
Previous

Return to --- Player's Championship