2021 Tour Changes??

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

Delbird

Re: 2021 Tour Changes??

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 12:45 pm

I always have wondered why the rules changed when you get to the Finals, with a player draft rather than just doing another auto-draft. I agree with Jeep that the auto-draft is part of the strategy that goes into being a good manager. I've always thought that the reward for getting into the top 36 was making it into the Semi Finals, and the reward for making the top 4 of the Semi's was a place in the Finals. I'm not sure why additional rewards are needed, to advantage any one manager over another at that point in the process. I'd keep it simple and use the same rules all the way thru the Finals, with rewards being placement into the Semi's and Finals. You could still seed based on records if you want, to organize the league/divisions.

Radagast Brown

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm

I get that we all live in different parts of the country, and yes different houses too. But somehow people have fantasy football, and fantasy baseball drafts, all over the country.. You can't set aside one night?

I don't care either way, but if you can't set aside one night for 12 people to have a draft, you will have to live with the results of the auto draft, or make one pick a day online for a week or more... I am just offering a suggestion.

XHowser Jr.

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Delbird wrote:I always have wondered why the rules changed when you get to the Finals, with a player draft rather than just doing another auto-draft. I agree with Jeep that the auto-draft is part of the strategy that goes into being a good manager. I've always thought that the reward for getting into the top 36 was making it into the Semi Finals, and the reward for making the top 4 of the Semi's was a place in the Finals. I'm not sure why additional rewards are needed, to advantage any one manager over another at that point in the process. I'd keep it simple and use the same rules all the way thru the Finals, with rewards being placement into the Semi's and Finals. You could still seed based on records if you want, to organize the league/divisions.

I don't think that making it to the semis and or the finals is a reward, I think it's earned. Using pro sports as an example, teams making the playoffs isn't a reward, it's earned. That's like telling the Kansas City Chiefs that your reward is playing in the playoffs so you aren't getting a bye and you aren't getting home field advantage (which is a huge advantage or reward in normal times, maybe not so much right now). When you have 3 of the top 5 teams finishing dead last in their divisions I think that's a problem. I just think that you should get some sort of an advantage for finishing high in the standings. Just my humble opinion.

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Jeepdriver wrote:One point that I think that is always overlooked is that there is a lot of strategy that goes into formulating your autodraft card. It is not necessarily bad luck when you have a bad autodraft. Strategizing on how to rank your players on that draft card is a talent. The Finals draft is long and laborious as mentioned. My opinion is the autodraft for the Semis needs to remain in place. Heck, I wouldn't mind an autodraft for The Finals.

Agree that autodrafting is a skill, but my argument is at the Semis level there is little separation making luck a much bigger factor.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:00 pm

If the early poll results are any indication, half like the autodraft and half like a limited live draft. I don’t know what if any kind of compromise will win everyone over, but a short three pick (2 players and a ballpark) live draft might be the middle ground. Lots of time for debate and discussion until next year though, so there’s really no need to rush this through.

I hope managers continue to weigh in.

XHowser Jr.

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:02 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:
Jeepdriver wrote:One point that I think that is always overlooked is that there is a lot of strategy that goes into formulating your autodraft card. It is not necessarily bad luck when you have a bad autodraft. Strategizing on how to rank your players on that draft card is a talent. The Finals draft is long and laborious as mentioned. My opinion is the autodraft for the Semis needs to remain in place. Heck, I wouldn't mind an autodraft for The Finals.

Agree that autodrafting is a skill, but my argument is at the Semis level there is little separation making luck a much bigger factor.

I agree 100% with what Scumby is saying. All managers in semis are skilled and experienced, with the experience being so important. Every manager has been in several leagues and they all know who the good value players are by this time. So the auto draft is a skill, but it's also a lot of luck at this point.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:18 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:Agree that autodrafting is a skill, but my argument is at the Semis level there is little separation making luck a much bigger factor.

Counterpoint: At the higher level, autodrafting weaknesses are just more exposed. Like all things at a higher level, shouldn’t that be expected? Why is it that we should mitigate the weaknesses of one manager at the expense of another’s strengths?

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:28 pm

J-Pav wrote:
ScumbyJr wrote:Agree that autodrafting is a skill, but my argument is at the Semis level there is little separation making luck a much bigger factor.

Counterpoint: At the higher level, autodrafting weaknesses are just more exposed. Like all things at a higher level, shouldn’t that be expected? Why is it that we should mitigate the weaknesses of one manager at the expense of another’s strengths?

at the risk of being called an ignorant slut, but isn't that what the 5 Events are for?

ScumbyJr

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Just so everyone understands -this is the Established Rule
"There will be an eight pick live draft for the Tour Championship, consisting of seven players and a ballpark, to be done on the forum boards. The draft will NOT be serpentine for the finals - i.e., the draft order will be repeated in each round. These "seeding" rules for the draft order provide an incentive and a reward for the managers who finish with the highest scores in Events I-V."

I'm fine with status quo, but since it was brought up. The question of why there isn't some kind of "incentive and a reward for the managers who finish with the highest scores in Events I-V" in the Semis is worth a discussion.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Well we ARE discussing it, I think?

I wonder if the discussion should actually be why we live draft the finals?

There appears to be some real hang ups involving the words rewards, incentives, and advantages and what that should all entail. I disagree with a lot of what I’m reading here, but I’m trying to be as open minded as I can.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship