2021 Tour Changes??

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

Stoney18

Re: 2021 Tour Changes??

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 9:28 am

I agree with Jpav, no need to make changes in the Semi Finals. All of the top 36 are good experienced managers and are capable of winning.

I planned my park usage so I would have parks that I felt I was better suited to in the Semi & Final rounds. Picking higher because of my seed made my choice more available.

I wonder if we went back to the last few seasons if the same thing happened with fewer of the top teams. A sample of one doesn't tell much.

J-Pav

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 am

As an aside, the eight round live drafts (in the finals) typically go over a week (but it seems like months). They are miserable, painful, and nearly unbearable.

However...some might like it for the semis, too.

I used to think this was a good idea, but somehow I morphed into autodraft guy. I would actually be okay with autodrafting the finals, though that is not a formal call for change. Live drafting on the boards is just that painful, though. :(

Radagast Brown

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 10:43 am

I would just like to point out that 36th seed has a .551 career winning percentage.

J-Pav

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 am

Tour changes:

Okay, let’s stir the pot a little.

FOUR semis leagues with only division winners (ie, no wildcards) advancing. Very few points seperate managers 37-48 from those above. Should they make it in?

Recognize that this does dilute the importance of the qualifying leagues quite a bit, as you are only eliminating half the pack from advancing, instead of closer to two thirds. I would vote for the status quo, however, in the spirit of keeping managers involved longer throughout the tournament, I thought I would throw this out there for consideration.

RandyW64

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 12:58 pm

Throwing my two cents in, as someone who is relatively new to the PC, but have had a great time! Thank you Mr. BBW and everyone else who has made this all happen!

I agree with J-Pav and RB with regard to the quality of the managers in the semi. I absolutely agree every one of the final 36 are pretty much quality managers, and "deserve" a legit shot at the finals.

However, one point I think Gilbo is trying to make, is that this is a tournament, which includes 4/5 prior events encompassing over six months, and between 648 and 810 games plus playoffs. So it is a tournament to measure this season, not the historical ability of each manager. You want to reward those who have gone through the last six months, playing in the tournament and doing well, in this tournament. Right now, there are two rewards we give the top finishers: 1) Pick ballbark first/earlier, and 2) Get seeded with lower finishers in your division.

I will say that having the top 9 seeds pick their ballpark first in the semis does seem like an advantage. However, Gilbo makes some strong arguments about how it is not necessarily that much of an advantage and can actually be a disadvantage, giving the other teams in your division a head's up on what type of team you are picking (pitching/hitting, etc.) in order for them to try to counter it.

While replicating the finals with a long draft is not something I would support. However, I do think a short 2-3 round non-serpentine draft for the semis is a good idea and would help reward the top finishers in the regular phase of the tournament a bit more. The people who have shown they are good managers for this season due to their finish in the standings of this season's tournament over the last six months should have a bit more of an advantage going into the semis.

Finally, the fact that "almost all managers in the top 36 are solid managers" (and as RB has pointed out, the #36 has a solid lifetime win % in strat), actually makes the so-called "advantage" of being seeded with lower finishers in the tournament and getting to pick your ballpark first are even less of a reward that what is deserved based upon what has happened over the last six months of games/leagues. If the current advantage we are giving those finishing in the top 10 over the last six months was truly a "reward," then it would seem more of the top ten finishers would be in the finals (or at least be fighting for a spot- not mired in last place.)

ScumbyJr

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Ragadast post leads to a good point. The PC Tourney is only about the current year's set not an overall record. The more I think about it, In additional to the BP draft, A simple 2 round player non-serpentine forum draft by seed is probably a well deserved reward. Not too much of an advantage, but at least eliminates the higher seeds from getting disadavantaged by the auto-draft.

ScumbyJr

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Ragadast post leads to a good point. The PC Tourney is only about the current year's set not an overall record. The more I think about it, In additional to the BP draft, A simple 2 round player non-serpentine forum draft by seed is probably a well deserved reward. Not too much of an advantage, but at least eliminates the higher seeds from getting disadavantaged by the auto-draft.

J-Pav

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Working the problem backwards...

1. The number one seed has demonstrated the most ability over the five qualifying events. But in most sports, having the best record doesn’t usually equate with being Champ, necessarily. Further, if the the Top Seed was crowned Tour Champ, participation in the tournament would plummet almost as soon as it started, as managers quickly recognize when they’re “out of it”.

2. The Top 12 teams should be the finalists, again, having demonstrated the most ability throughout the tournament. This was how the tour was run for several years early on (and I still painfully remember finishing 13th one year). However, again, participation and interest plummets after the first few events.

3. After lots of dialogue, we settled on the current format with tweaks and minor changes along the way. It’s the best compromise between rewarding the top managers and keeping people interested long enough to finish five events.

So now we’ve reached the point of “rewarding” and “advantages”.

My argument is this. Make the Top 36. That’s it. No bonus points, no rewards, no advantages (unless seeding and stadium selection is seen as some advantage. I don’t think it is). Even draft order in the Finals I don’t think is some overwhelming advantage, more like simply just a common sense approach. Someone has to pick first.

In my opinion, rings won in qualifying amount to the same as missing a wildcard by a game. It’s as much luck as anything else, so expecting managers who won qualifying rings to be more representative in the Finals doesn’t make statistical sense to me. It’s all simply wins and losses.

If we’re going into the weeds about semifinals live drafting, I can go along to get along, but I’m okay with a straight autodraft as well. What say everyone else?

XHowser Jr.

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 2:57 pm

I am going to throw my 2 cents worth in here. First off, thanks to Mr. BBW for running this. Definitely not an easy job and a very thankless one.

I am going to agree with what Scumby, Randal and Gilbo are saying. The way the semis are run right now there is no advantage or reward for finishing high in the standings. As Radagast said, everyone in the top 36 are very good managers. I think that finishing high in the standings should come with some sort of reward. Only getting to pick your stadium first is not it. As Gilbo said, 3 of the top 5 managers finished in last place. There obviously wasn't any reward at all for these teams.

The auto draft is just so random that you don't know what you are getting. I finished in 12th place in regular season and that did nothing for me. I didn't get any of my 5 first picks in the auto draft and my season was done before it even started, especially when you are in a league that is full of great managers. I had first pick in the waiver draft but that was of no use to me, because again with such great managers in the league there was no one available that could really help me. I know Cristano, who was in my league, also had a terrible auto draft so his season was done before it started also. That doesn't seem fair for the person that finished first overall in regular season. By the sounds of it, same thing happened to Scumby as well.

So what is the solution? I think the only thing would be some sort of a live draft, for however many rounds need be. Just something to reward the top finishers in some way. Other than that, this was a very enjoyable experience and can't wait for next seasons tourney! Good luck to all the finalists!

Radagast Brown

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Nothing against this Tournament but it is just not my favorite game. I am really all about the Mystery Tournament, Mystery Leagues, Daily Leagues, and the retro sets ('69-'82-'86-'99- ) I would love to see a mini Tournament with the three they still offer.

But here's my two cents, give the top 4 teams a bye, have the next 24 play a semi, with those 8 playoff teams joining the four that got the bye to make your final 12.... Often times because of the stupid four team divisions, wild cards win more games than division winners and they should not be excluded.

I don't think picking stadiums first is an advantage but it's definitely not a disadvantage. With the stadiums the only people who are disadvantaged are people who like to build small ball teams. There is no shortage for bomber parks. Anything over 1-9 HR for RHB and LHB is a bomber park. They are mostly bomber parks.

Getting screwed by the auto draft is unfortunately A HUGE part of this game, but if you throw in the towel from a bad auto draft, are you really one of the best?? Seriously? It's a huge part of the game, and every non live drafting league.

Having the final's draft being non serpentine for however many rounds IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE, and I guess one that is well earned. ... I will most likely be drafting last, in every round. But I will not be making excuses and saying that finishes me.

By the way, how many rounds are on the boards and not serpentine THIS YEAR?
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship