2018 Tour

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

Mr Baseball World

Re: 2018 Tour

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:59 am

Thank you for the input and keep it coming. I will share my more detailed thoughts tonight and start looking at a schedule. I expect no major changes. I am leaning to no assignments with a hard deadline for entry. A deadline will be set on Wednesday after which time no new leagues open and fillers can fill the last league. I am inclined to have the first event be a variety so people can pick from more than one cap and maybe live draft and limited sets. Some may not fill though which would force those to pick something different.

J-Pav

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 pm

One of the problems with only playing 20xx is that I miss out on how other formats (like Barnstormers) handle tournament issues. I think opening five or six leagues at the same time (and adding more as necessary) relieves some of the admin burden without unduly impacting the fairness of league assignments. I agree that the built in randomizer adds another layer of equity as well. So I would have no issue filling the leagues this way, as it does eliminate some cat herding and filler searches, which are both improvements.

I’m much less inclined to go along with the “variety” event. I’m quite OCD, so the 80 dh, 60 no dh, 80 no dh, 100 dh, 80 dh routine is my preference.

I personally wish we could do ALL leagues as 24 team events. However, the downside is: hard to fill with Tour-only participants (lots of fillers?), the extra layer of playoffs mean unequal points opportunities (for managers that miss that event), and the salary cap decisions that would require some level of agreement.

The soap box is worn out with my opinions on “bonus points”. Obviously I think playoff wins represent “bonus points” more than adequately.

While there appears (so far) to be little love for my ”autoleagues as tour qualifiers” idea, I still like it enough to maybe organize it as another end of year tournament if I can generate enough interest. I’ve never been sold on the notion that autoleagues are somehow “softer” competition. I miss plenty of playoffs in vanilla autoleagues. But this is a discussion for another thread down the road.

mbertolli

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 3:47 pm

I like the idea of a second tournament for year end, but do not like the idea of random auto leagues being used to set the finals. I love the way the tournament takes the entire year to run.

Michael.

twonewb

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm

The current format is okay but would like to see at least one 24 team league in the mix. 24 teams at 70M is very competitive. Adding a few more points for extended playoffs is offset by fewer leagues int he tourney. My two cents.

Mr Baseball World

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Some of the differences at The ATG Barnstormers:

1. Semi Finals and Finals have no stadium restrictions
2. Top 9 go straight to finals and 3 Semi Finals champions get last three Finals spots
3. No league assignments

Merely pointing out the differences.

mesquiton

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 am

Despite minor different personal prefs, I still agree with everybody who says keep things as is, except I also agree with Commish's inclination toward no league assignments and a hard deadline loading window.

Delbird

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:34 am

Mr Baseball World wrote:Some of the differences at The ATG Barnstormers:

2. Top 9 go straight to finals and 3 Semi Finals champions get last three Finals spots
3. No league assignments

This seems like a good model to follow. You are already leaning toward doing #3 and a few folks have suggested doing #1, which could be good. Following those 2 points at least, as updates for this year would make sense to me, leaving everything else unchanged.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Mr Baseball World wrote:Some of the differences at The ATG Barnstormers:

3. No league assignments

The Top 9 rule is a terrible fit for 20XX. Way too many capable managers here. Too many variables out of control of the player. You get into a tough league or two which lowers your point total, others get into a division with a "salary dumper" or absentee manager which gives them extra points, etc.

Brothersatm

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm

When will the list start for sign up

Mr Baseball World

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 11:45 am

Coming soon
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship