A New Plan for Filling Leagues

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

ROBERTVOZZA

Re: A New Plan for Filling Leagues

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 am

The time commttment is the only reason I have never played the Tour all these years - As well as why I play primarly the private Invitational leagues like GBBR and LOTO and some of Jeep's Theme Leagues, which have simple, consistent rules and play with familiar cyberfaces over the years. 8-) :D ;)

Phila01

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 am

I just filled out my roster and ready to enter any league. Let me know if it's not too late and sorry for taking so long as I was out of town.

Phila01-Colorado Springs Bizzaz

TIMOTHYFOSTER

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 am

You hit the nail. I did think even Jeep would take my comments as an opportunity for a light-hearted perspective shift and nothing more. I never meant to put you in a position where you felt you had to defend yourself and would be great if we had the budget for a paid commissioner and even better, for that person to have a paid staff. Until then, offering solutions and those solutions being put into being by a volunteer staff will most likely have to suffice for solving the multitude of problems facing any evolving product. I am and always will be appreciative of both a person offering a solution and the person volunteering their time to make it happen and wanted all the volunteers over the years to know I (and I assume many others) appreciate their time -- and that goes for Jeep as well.
Ive got no beef with you Jeep -- unless you drive the Grand Cherokee SRT? If that's the case, I don't see you and I ever seeing eye to eye.
Thanks again to all who took what use to be a sporting news joke and stayed around while working with paid staff to get us to the point we are at today as it truly is much appreciated and my only opportunity to play strato and relive the many fond memories of doing so ftf back in the day.

Jeepdriver

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 am

Just a couple of things, and it will be a dead issue on my part. It's easy to come back after the fact and say "oh I was kidding." Secondly, it's obvious you had a previous handle and this is a new one, allowing you to make posts (and even play the Tour) under a different identity. Why don't you let us know who you really are?

Hittmens

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 am

Jeepdriver wrote:Just a couple of things, and it will be a dead issue on my part. It's easy to come back after the fact and say "oh I was kidding." Secondly, it's obvious you had a previous handle and this is a new one, allowing you to make posts (and even play the Tour) under a different identity. Why don't you let us know who you really are?

I think we should keep the snarky comments off the boards especially when they are totally undeserved. However the Last Druid's commentary on Garcia are always appreciated.

TIMOTHYFOSTER

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 pm

I wasn't backpedaling -- just didn't think I'd get the reaction of, "ouch, you hurt my feelings," especially considering your comments directed at "the help" and your handle. As such, was saying I expected more of a response somewhere around, "I may have over reacted just a tad and here's my ideas on how we fix things moving forward." I think I made it obvious I was kidding and hope that was never in doubt to anyone who read the post. I shudder when thinking what the reaction would have been from a more direct statement of my thoughts on the issue. Trust me, truly sorry as spent more time on this than necessary or I ever wanted to but do feel thankful for those who have volunteered their time to make my and others experience here better.
As for the comment on my handle, I'm clueless to how you and your partner Watson deducted that conclusion but I will say this, it is the Cherokee huh? Enough said on my part too and feel free to throw out the last comment on the subject as my gut tells me you just may be interested in having the last word and I'm truly fine with that as well.

mattciccolini@verizon.net

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 2:45 pm

I am so sorry but I missed League 4. Are they all filled? Sorry again.

Spider 67

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 pm

mattciccolini@verizon.net wrote:I am so sorry but I missed League 4. Are they all filled? Sorry again.

You can enter League 8 - see the note in the thread.

keyzick

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 7:37 am

Late to this thread, but as a past commish, I can tell you the single most frustrating aspect of coordinating the Tour is the no-shows. It is a voluntary role to commish, and the amount of time tracking people down and finding subs can really sap all the fun out of it.

The reason for league assignments started 3 Tours ago, was to avoid people "cherry picking" their leagues based on who they might consider weaker competition.

It seems like we're in a position to go back to the "first-come, first-served" strategy. If people can't keep commitments they've made to play in the Tour, their really is nothing we can do about it. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality we're continually stuck with year after year.

mesquiton

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I agree with keyzick. With so much overbooking, what's the point of league assignments at all...people can still "cherry pick" if they choose to.

I question whether cherry-picking was ever really a significant problem anyway, especially since divisions became randomized. The real problem was a lack of hard deadlines, so people would wait forever to join a league. In any case, with increased overbooking, the cherry-picking "problem" is no longer even "solved".

So why not, as keyzick suggests, simplify things and return to "first come-first served". Just create new leagues as they fill. That system, combined with hard deadlines, has worked fine for Moose and the Barnstormers Tour for years.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship