GLITCH AFFECTING SOME FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES!

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

gbrookes

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Please see this thread on the 200x boards:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=637693

Based on my quick glance through the Friday games, the following teams/games are affected (including their opponent, indirectly):

League 1 -

waynick
bbasebrawl
Jeepdriver
unclerowser
ScumbyJr
durantjerry

League 2 -

GoDucks (ugh, Mike, and you're running the Mystery tourney, agghh!)
mesquiton
hendrix08
AZHawg

League 3-

narkyura
pushpin76
Gibl
JR_Shark
dalelawrence
jmoore1966
bob711

Thanks to Scumby for pointing this out.

This glitch appears to have been pervasive, right across every card set and league. The only teams that appear not to have been affected in some cases are teams with 4 SP*'s, where they just let strat run the starters in descending order on the team roster sheet, from game 1 of the season. Any change in per-game starter order, or teams with a non * SP rotation, appear to have been affected by this glitch.

In other words, many, many series are affected on Friday night!

Please email strat about the issue, using the "contact us" drop down on the help bar, if you've been affected, directly or indirectly.

If nothing else, if they haven't noticed the glitch yet, the volume of emails should get their attention quickly (I hope).

Honestly, it looks like it goes across all card sets, including ATG. It looks to me like Friday's games might have to be re-run - just my thinking only.
Geoff PC commissioner (J-Pav taking over in 2015).

gbrookes

Re: GLITCH AFFECTING SOME FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES!

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 2:17 pm

This is the email that I sent to strat a few minutes ago:

***MASSIVE GLITCH ON FRIDAY NIGHT"S GAMES** **AFFECTING PC TOURNEY BUT ALSO ALL CARDSETS AND LEAGUES*** Member: gbrookes

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=637693&p=5520422&sid=7d9c0399f02499830c42193ea3cb2c64#p5520422

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=637686

Affecting PC Tourney:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=637694

My post on the PC tourney discussion board:
• Edit post
• Delete post
• Report this post
Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 pm
Please see this thread on the 200x boards:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=637693

Based on my quick glance through the Friday games, the following teams/games are affected (including their opponent, indirectly):

League 1 -

waynick
bbasebrawl
Jeepdriver
unclerowser
ScumbyJr
durantjerry

League 2 -

GoDucks (ugh, Mike, and you're running the Mystery tourney, agghh!)
mesquiton
hendrix08
AZHawg

League 3-

narkyura
pushpin76
Gibl
JR_Shark
dalelawrence
jmoore1966
bob711

Thanks to Scumby for pointing this out.

This glitch appears to have been pervasive, right across every card set and league. The only teams that appear not to have been affected in some cases are teams with 4 SP*'s, where they just let strat run the starters in descending order on the team roster sheet, from game 1 of the season. Any change in per-game starter order, or teams with a non * SP rotation, appear to have been affected by this glitch.

In other words, many, many series are affected on Friday night!

Please email strat about the issue, using the "contact us" drop down on the help bar, if you've been affected, directly or indirectly.

If nothing else, if they haven't noticed the glitch yet, the volume of emails should get their attention quickly (I hope).

Honestly, it looks like it goes across all card sets, including ATG. It looks to me like Friday's games might have to be re-run - just my thinking only.
Geoff PC commissioner (J-Pav taking over in 2015).

gbrookes

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Received from strat -

"Hi Geoff,

Yes, there was a widespread glitch last night that unfortunately caused our system to lose track of who pitched in the preceding series, and who was supposed to pitch in last night’s games. This is the reason why certain pitchers ended up starting games on short rest.

Unfortunately, at this point, it’s not technically possible for us to do anything about the results of last night’s games, and rotations for tonight’s games and beyond will have to be based on what has transpired. We’re sorry that we’re unable to rectify how any particular team and league, and regrettably the tournament, were affected by this.

What we can do is investigate the cause of the incident, and try and make sure it doesn't happen again. The root problem was a freak outage at Amazon Web Services, which is the normally reliable host where our servers are located. We’re taking steps to improve how our system reacts to unexpected occurrences like this, rare as they may be.

We apologize again for this, and thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,
Strat-O-Matic Baseball Online"

I guess we'll just have to keep calm and carry on. Their response to my email was fast.

gbrookes

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm

To be clear - as PC commissioner this year:

1. I don't think we have a choice as to how to carry on, except by accepting the games as played. I don't think any other alternative is better than that one.

2. If the change was seriously detrimental to your team, please let me know by Private Message. I'll see if there's any gaming compensation that I can think of, which might perhaps depend on other gamers' agreement. I'm not promising much, if anything, but there might be possibilities if your team can make it to the next round. If, on balance, it looks like it's a case of "no harm no foul" - which will be difficult to assess - then I'd prefer to "keep calm and carry on".

teamnasty

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 4:59 pm

For what it's worth Gbrookes, I don't think that my opponent last night , Bob (Envy) had his rotation affected even though he has a 5 man. He actually has 6 eligible starters but his primary guys started, and started on their normal rest.

TN

blue turtle

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 8:19 pm

gbrookes wrote:To be clear - as PC commissioner this year:

1. I don't think we have a choice as to how to carry on, except by accepting the games as played. I don't think any other alternative is better than that one.

2. If the change was seriously detrimental to your team, please let me know by Private Message. I'll see if there's any gaming compensation that I can think of, which might perhaps depend on other gamers' agreement. I'm not promising much, if anything, but there might be possibilities if your team can make it to the next round. If, on balance, it looks like it's a case of "no harm no foul" - which will be difficult to assess - then I'd prefer to "keep calm and carry on".

I am no lawyer, and I hate to make a rules page to cover every possibility, but maybe next year's tournament might want to stipulate that the "final" as played games as presented by Strat are the games of record for the tourney, even in cases where Strat has caused/created an irreparable error. The NFL has given us lots of high profile examples of "Whoops, we blew that one" but they don't change the results after the game is over.

gbrookes

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 11:07 pm

blue turtle wrote:
gbrookes wrote:To be clear - as PC commissioner this year:

I am no lawyer, and I hate to make a rules page to cover every possibility, but maybe next year's tournament might want to stipulate that the "final" as played games as presented by Strat are the games of record for the tourney, even in cases where Strat has caused/created an irreparable error. The NFL has given us lots of high profile examples of "Whoops, we blew that one" but they don't change the results after the game is over.

Agree - although it's up to J-Pav, as he is running the 2015 tourney.

In any case, the complexities of this game, the randomness, and the small margin of victory, all conspire to make a determination of "harm" almost impossible.

J-Pav

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 1:31 am

I also agree.

Having said that, heavy on my mind is if this were to happen say, in one of the last few series of the season. Hate to think eight months of competing goes down the drain because Kershaw started back-to-back games, just when I was going to dodge him for an important series.

Another unintended consequence is that the subsequent "reliever to start" moves the original starters around in the rotation. It creates the possibility that a high dollar starter might be pushed to a place in the rotation where he misses a playoff start, or is forced to start away in an unfavorable ballpark instead of at home field.

However, sometimes you hit the flag stick and the ball falls in the hole, and sometimes you hit the flag stick and the ball goes in the water. So far this is an extremely rare, one time occurrence. We might rethink this if it happens again, but I would call it rub of the green and the final results should stay "as is".

Return to --- Player's Championship