l.strether

Peculiarities of Event 5

PostTue Jul 15, 2014 6:17 pm

gbrookes wrote:
Event 5: $100M, "Unleashed" Player Set
Salary Cap: $100,000,000
DH Rule: Yes (standard)
Free Agent Drop Penalty: 20% (standard)
2 round draft - one round for ballpark, 1 round for 1 player - draft order based on event 1 standings - see above

Hey, Geoff,

I just noticed the interesting particulars of event 5, and I was curious why we are having this 2-round draft in a championship event, and why are those succeeding in event 1 getting an advantage and privilege over those succeeding in events 2-4 (and everyone else)?

gbrookes

Re: Peculiarities of Event 5

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

l.strether wrote:
gbrookes wrote:
Event 5: $100M, "Unleashed" Player Set
Salary Cap: $100,000,000
DH Rule: Yes (standard)
Free Agent Drop Penalty: 20% (standard)
2 round draft - one round for ballpark, 1 round for 1 player - draft order based on event 1 standings - see above

Hey, Geoff,

I just noticed the interesting particulars of event 5, and I was curious why we are having this 2-round draft in a championship event, and why are those succeeding in event 1 getting an advantage and privilege over those succeeding in events 2-4 (and everyone else)?

I thought it would be fun and add some interest, but if a lot of people have problems with this I can reconsider. (My honest quick reply).

l.strether

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 11:41 am

I appreciate fun and interest, Geoff, but this is giving an inordinate advantage to those who succeed in event 1, when those who succeed in events 2-4 will have accomplished (as far as I can see) just as much. Can you please actually explain why you are privileging event 1 and why you're not making the draft a serpentine one?

It would seem that all these benefits for the "winners" of event 1 would make event 5 not much fun at all for the non-winners of event 1. It could, and probably would, even discourage some participants from wasting $25 on a final round heavily stacked against them.

I respect one can sometimes only give a quick reply. However, you are the moderator of and authority over this paid competition. So, I would truly appreciate your actually answering my specific questions and addressing my concerns; you're almost always excellent at doing so.

gbrookes

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 12:49 pm

l.strether wrote:I appreciate fun and interest, Geoff, but this is giving an inordinate advantage to those who succeed in event 1, when those who succeed in events 2-4 have accomplished (as far as I can see) just as much. Can you please actually explain why you are privileging event 1 and why you're not making the draft a serpentine one?

It would seem that all these benefits for the "winners" of event 1 would make event 5 not much fun at all for the non-winners of event 1. It could, and probably would, even discourage some participants from wasting $25 on a final round heavily stacked against them.

I respect one can sometimes only give a quick reply. However, you are the moderator of and authority over this paid competition. So, I would truly appreciate your actually answering my specific questions and addressing my concerns; you're almost always excellent at doing so.

Thanks for the compliment :) .

My reason for using the results of event 1 was simply a practical reason - that event 1 would be the event that would be finished in time for a "seeding" for event 5.

I'm taking your comments under advisement - seriously and truly. I'm giving it some more thought.

If anyone else has any comments, concerns, questions or suggestions, please post them here.

Thanks,
Geoff/commissioner

ScumbyJr

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

I do not care if there is this draft or not for event 5 even though my team is doing well so far. I have never done a live draft so anyone who has draft experience has an inordinate advantage over me and I suppose anyone else without draft experience. However, I did choose my ballpark (which I have had success in) for this event based on the rules which made it a very important event. It's no big deal to me either way.

l.strether

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:I do not care if there is this draft or not for event 5 even though my team is doing well so far. I have never done a live draft so anyone who has draft experience has an inordinate advantage over me and I suppose anyone else without draft experience. However, I did choose my ballpark (which I have had success in) for this event based on the rules which made it a very important event. It's no big deal to me either way.

It's not a full live draft. Nobody with live draft experience will have an inordinate advantage over you or anyone else. It's one round of picking stadiums and one round of picking players. No one needs live draft experience to know the stadium they want or the best available player in one round.

Congratulations on your success in the event 1, though. It will give you an advantage in event 5.

Al Hogg

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Especially with a $100 million league, I like knowing ahead of the auto-draft at least one player that you will definitely get and can try to build your team around.

I also typically play in leagues where we draft unique ballparks. It certainly helps avoid the possibility of you, say, drafting a team designed for Petco and ending up in a league where the other 11 teams all have Coors. (I exaggerate, but I did flop in one Players Championship league last year where I picked a pitcher's park while most of the rest of the league went with sluggers' stadiums.)

I think making the two-round draft a snake draft where teams could pick a stadium or a player in round one would add a good deal of intrigue and certainly takes away the first pick advantage. You might pick the player you want, but end up with the best ballparks for that player already being taken. Or, the other way around, you might pick the stadium you favor but find that the top players for that stadium are all gone by the 24th pick.

I say that despite the fact that I currently have the best record in my Event 1 League (although that could change quickly).

One question about Event 5: Am I correct in assuming division assignments will still be random?

Spider 67

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 5:20 pm

I like the idea of a two-round player/stadium draft, but would prefer that it be "snake" with a choice of either player or stadium in round 1. I would prefer that the draft order based on random #s (not just because my event 1 team sucks). I don't consider the draft order to be a "major" advantage, but don't want to discourage tournament participation by owners who get off to a bad start and think that it would be a big penalty.

rolandzeut

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:55 pm

I also like the player/stadium draft. Rewarding based on event 1 is cool with me. But if people want random, that's fine, there are plenty of players/parks to choose....

TomSiebert

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 8:36 pm

Snake draft for 1-2. Or just do a final autodraft. No seeding until the semi-finals, please; not fair. Slows things down too.

tws
Next

Return to --- Player's Championship