• Author

edgecitytx

Re: Peculiarities of Event 5

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I'd prefer a straight autodraft.

MICHAELSCIANATICO

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

If I understand the rules of PC event, even with an advantage of drafting your stadium, you cannot duplicate a stadium from a previous event, this could prove to be a disadvantage if you picked a park you favor in one of the other events.
Correct me if I am wrong.

mesquiton

PostTue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 pm

I'd prefer a straight autodraft.

gbrookes

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks for your input, guys. Some good thoughts and suggestions.

I've been camping (back home on Friday July 25). Until then, I have limited access, but I did just take a few minutes to read your posts.

I'll make a decision on how to run event 5 within a few days after getting home on Friday . Thanks to l.strether for bringing his concerns to me, and our gaming community for this tournament. I just didn't (don't) want to make a quick decision; I wanted to think it through carefully.

Thanks

Geoff

Michael Grammes

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Little late to the party on this one... but I ll toss in my opinion too.

I like the two round draft idea.
I do not like the 1 player, 1 stadium round for each. I feel you should be able to draft which ever you want in either round, but having to draft one of each only.

I'm kinda impartial to the idea of drafting by 1st event standings (points).

What about by total winning percentage of all events?

gbrookes

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:06 am

MICHAELSCIANATICO wrote:If I understand the rules of PC event, even with an advantage of drafting your stadium, you cannot duplicate a stadium from a previous event, this could prove to be a disadvantage if you picked a park you favor in one of the other events.
Correct me if I am wrong.

You cannot duplicate the same ballpark (i.e. use it more than once) at any time in the PC tournament.

On the other hand, there will be unique ballparks for each event 5 league, so you aren't necessarily guaranteed to get the ballpark you want in event 5, unless you're picking first overall and choose to use that pick on your ballpark.

gbrookes

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 am

Michael Grammes wrote:Little late to the party on this one... but I ll toss in my opinion too.

I like the two round draft idea.
I do not like the 1 player, 1 stadium round for each. I feel you should be able to draft which ever you want in either round, but having to draft one of each only.

I'm kinda impartial to the idea of drafting by 1st event standings (points).

What about by total winning percentage of all events?

The problem with using other events as the basis is that the other events won't all be completed by the time we start event 5.

gbrookes

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:23 am

I've read over the various comments - thanks to everyone who posted, including the original post by l.strether.

This tournament is called the Players Championship, so its important that it is inter-active and accessible to all of the participants. I will always welcome "constructive criticism" and ideas as long as I am the commissioner, and I hope that's how the tournament will always feel for everyone!

My sense is that this idea is perhaps 60% or 67% liked by the participants who commented, although there are a few that would prefer a straight auto-draft. There were some logical reasons expressed by the players who are in favour of the 2-round draft.

The main counter-argument, as expressed by l.strether, is that it provides a big advantage to people who do well in event 1, which is only 1 of the 5 events in the PC tournament.

I think I understand this concern. It makes it a little bit like a card game in which the people with the advantage from winning a round or hand or "trick" keep the advantage into the next round, hand or "trick". I think the argument is that this might not be the right approach for a PC tournament, and might discourage people from continuing to participate into event 5.

I would point out that the rules were articulated and posted as soon as the sign up sheet was posted. More importantly, I don't see this 2 round draft as being a very big advantage - ESPECIALLY if it is a serpentine draft, in which the person with the 12th pick also has the 13th pick (i.e. the last pick in the first round, but the first pick in the second round, and so on). It's important to me that, of the people that support the two round draft for event 5, many of them expressed preference for the serpentine draft. I also note that a preference was expressed for a system in which you can pick EITHER a player OR a ballpark in round 1.

I believe that this two round draft introduces an element of additional strategy for event 5, which I think is inherently interesting and fun.

I could go on, but I'm under time pressure at the moment. I can take more time for Q and A later.

Ruling - two round draft stands, but serpentine, with the option to pick either a player or a ballpark in round 1, with the round 2 pick being used to pick a ballpark if not already taken in round 1.

Thanks to everyone who posted!

Geoff Brookes
commissioner

l.strether

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am

gbrookes wrote:Ruling - two round draft stands, but serpentine, with the option to pick either a player or a ballpark in round 1, with the round 2 pick being used to pick a ballpark if not already taken in round 1.

Excellent decision, Gbrookes. Your changing the draft in Event 5 to a serpentine one returns competitive balance to the event. I can't see anyone being discouraged from participation now.

P.s. I assume you meant to say "with the round 2 pick being used to pick a ballpark or player" in your penultimate sentence.
Last edited by l.strether on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbrookes

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 pm

l.strether wrote:Excellent decision, Gbrookes. Your changing the draft in Event 5 to a serpentine one returns competitive balance to the event. I can't see anyone being discouraged from participation now.

P.s. I assume you meant to say "with the round 2 pick being used to pick a ballpark or player" in your penultimate sentence.

Thanks!

Re the grammar of my statement - what I really meant to say is that if you didn't pick a ballpark in round 1, then of course you would be forced to use your second round pick to pick your ballpark.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship