Peculiarities of Event 5

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

l.strether

Re: Peculiarities of Event 5

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 pm

I hate to rescind my recent approval, Gbrookes, but you failed to include your ruling above in your recently posted tournament rules.

In your post above, you made this ruling on Event 5:
gbrookes wrote:Ruling - two round draft stands, but serpentine, with the option to pick either a player or a ballpark in round 1, with the round 2 pick being used to pick a ballpark if not already taken in round 1.

However, in your posting of the rules later today, you wrote this about Event 5:
gbrookes wrote:
gbrookes wrote: - Event 5 will have a live ballpark draft on these boards, as well as a live 1 round player draft. The draft order is not serpentine, and will be based on the number of points earned in event 1.

I'm sure you just made an error, so you should probably change your wording in your posted rules to reflect your ruling. If you actually have decided to reverse your ruling, then you (as commissioner) should explain why on this thread.

l.strether

PostMon Aug 04, 2014 11:30 am

bump

gbrookes

PostMon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks l.strether. I'll fix it shortly.

TomSiebert

PostTue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 pm

A good compromise and revision from the commish, who has done a stand-up job for years in the role. My only qualm is that this short draft is going to slow down a long-running contest that is no doubt going to run past the Super Bowl already. But overall the serpentine draft idea remains intriguing and interesting, and hopefully each league can knock out its draft in a day.

Thanks, Geoff.

tws

l.strether

PostSat Aug 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Hey, GBrookes,

Over a week ago, you made this ruling on Event 5, a two-round serpentine draft to draft a player or stadium in either round:
gbrookes wrote:Ruling - two round draft stands, but serpentine, with the option to pick either a player or a ballpark in round 1, with the round 2 pick being used to pick a ballpark if not already taken in round 1.

However, that same day, you bumped up your Championship rules making this contradictory claim about Event 5:
gbrookes wrote: Event 5 will have a live ballpark draft on these boards, as well as a live 1 round player draft. The draft order is not serpentine, and will be based on the number of points earned in event 1. So event 1 serves an extra purpose this year, by establishing the draft order for event 5.

To confuse things further, the current 2014 Championship page now says Event 5 will only have a 1-round player draft, with no option to choose a stadium in that round :

Event 5: $100M, "Unleashed" Player Set
begins: Sep 24 (deadline for entry: Oct 22)
Unique ballparks; 1-round player draft
Player Set: 2013 Unleashed
Salary Cap: $100,000,000
DH Rule: Yes (standard)
Free Agent Drop Penalty: 20% (standard)

These three contradictory announcements make it unclear what exactly is your decision on Event 5, and how Event 5 will actually be played. This makes it difficult to know whether or not Event 5 and the tournament is still stacked against some players. This could discourage them from further participation...in Event 5 at the least.

You said on Monday that you would fix this "shortly." Now that the Championship page ruling is also a problem, I suggest you address it as soon as possible...People do like to know exactly what they're buying.

l.strether

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 8:36 pm

bump.
Previous

Return to --- Player's Championship