Please refrain from late season wholesale trades...

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

gbrookes

Please refrain from late season wholesale trades...

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 am

Please refrain from late season wholesale trades, e.g. if your team is out of playoff contention late in a season - UNLESS of course it is being done with the legitimate expectation of benefiting your won team through the trade(s).

Generally speaking, players should refrain from making comments to a league that players are generally available for trade. It might lead someone else to conclude that you're "dumping players" - i.e. trading them for less than fair value in return. It's probably better to either refrain from such comments altogether, or else at least make requests for types of players or pitchers that you are looking for in return, that could benefit your own team.

Basically, use caution and judgement, and above all show "fair play" in everything you do.

If there are indications that players are being dumped, then further action may be required. As commissioner, I can impose penalties for lack of fair play (this is in the rules as previously published). But like I said, I don't expect that players would be doing anything that would show a lack of fair play. But I will be watching.

Remember - even if you are out of contention, every win counts for a point in the PC standings. Even 1 win could be the difference between making the PC playoffs after event 5, or not making the playoffs. Play to win, and play fair!

Good luck to all - fight to the last out!!!!
:)
GBrookes, commisioner PC 2013

usjgtjrgolf

Re: Please refrain from late season wholesale trades...

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 7:54 pm

I have to comment on this. I am in the league in which there was a complaint filed about another player making late season trades. If you look at the trades, he did not in any way 'dump' players. I personally think he improved his team. Since the two trades, his team is 3-3. Before the trade it was 34-56. I know it's only six games, but so far, the numbers don't coincide with the charge of 'dumping.' The player who accused of him doing this has not identified himself, but he accused me of doing the same thing in another league (even though I never made a trade just made the offer). Every win does count all the way to the end and if my team is floundering around, then I'm going to make some moves to get some more wins (points) because clearly the current roster isn't making that happen.

Just because a bad team offers players for a trade does not, in any way, constitute 'dumping.' If that's the case, then every time a team makes a roster move through waivers, that's 'dumping' too because a roster change is being made in effort to change the course of the season. I think the player who filed this complaint was way off base in doing so and cannot justify in any way that it upset the balance in the league.

gbrookes

Re: Please refrain from late season wholesale trades...

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 1:58 am

usjgtjrgolf wrote:I have to comment on this. I am in the league in which there was a complaint filed about another player making late season trades. If you look at the trades, he did not in any way 'dump' players. I personally think he improved his team. Since the two trades, his team is 3-3. Before the trade it was 34-56. I know it's only six games, but so far, the numbers don't coincide with the charge of 'dumping.' The player who accused of him doing this has not identified himself, but he accused me of doing the same thing in another league (even though I never made a trade just made the offer). Every win does count all the way to the end and if my team is floundering around, then I'm going to make some moves to get some more wins (points) because clearly the current roster isn't making that happen.

Just because a bad team offers players for a trade does not, in any way, constitute 'dumping.' If that's the case, then every time a team makes a roster move through waivers, that's 'dumping' too because a roster change is being made in effort to change the course of the season. I think the player who filed this complaint was way off base in doing so and cannot justify in any way that it upset the balance in the league.

Thanks for your comment. After reviewing this, I agree that there was nothing wrong here.

For the sake of the tournament, it's not a bad thing to remind all players that every point counts, and that everyone should be playing to win at all times.

But there was no foul here.

:)
GBrookes commish

Return to --- Player's Championship