2012 PC communication thread - Q&A, misc

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

gbrookes

2012 PC communication thread - Q&A, misc

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Welcome to the 20012 Players Championship tournament!

Please read the tournament rules, here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=834

This thread is for questions and answers, chit chat, complaints, whatever, it belongs here.

Please note that there will also be a separate thread for each event/league.

Enjoy! I look foward to the chat as much as the games! Read the rules, and have fun!!!!

Geoff Brookes
:)
Last edited by gbrookes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

gbrookes

Re: 2012 PC communication thread - Q&A, misc

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 am

Well, for event 1, League 1 is well under way, and Leagues 2 and 3 just had opening night. League 4 is filled and will start one week from now. League 5 may be the last league, but I am still waiting for 5 owners to get their teams in. I think I will impose closure on event 1 by September 30 - although that is more a guideline than a hard deadline. But if owners don't have their teams in by September 30, they probably aren't going to, and we can just fill up League 5 and move on.

Once we get some games under way, I will start to post some combined standings. I think I can post standings about once per week. I will use a baseball styled GBL approach to equalizing the number of games played. Simply put, if one owner has played fewer games, the GBL system will assume that exactly 1/2 of "games in hand" will result in wins.

By the way, I love this time of year, with the race for the remaining playoff spots in real life baseball. Very cool!

And in strat - ahhhh, opening night Monday, when the owners do double takes at the results, and wonder whether they are geniuses (after a series win) or whether they've miscalculated or goofed (after a series loss). It's a 162 game season - there are still lots of games to play!

Play ball!!! :)

******UPDATE SEPTEMBER 29 - **********
DEADLINE FOR ENTERING EVENT 1 OF PLAYER'S CHAMPIONSHIP IS EXTENDED

WITH THE ADOPTION OF THIS TOURNAMENT BY STRAT-O-MATIC AS THE OFFICIAL 2012 PLAYER'S CHAMPIONSHIP, THE DEADLINE FOR ENTERING THE PC TOURNAMENT EVENT 1 HAS BEEN EXTENDED, AT LEAST UNTIL OCTOBER 8 MIDNIGHT EST, BUT POSSIBLY LONGER IF THERE ARE STILL MANY PEOPLE WANTING TO JOIN AT THAT TIME. I WILL PROVIDE SOME NOTICE AS TO THE FINAL DEADLINE FOR ENTERING EVENT 1. BUT YOU HAVE AT LEAST UNTIL OCTOBER 8 MIDNIGHT, AND POSSIBLY A LITTLE LONGER THAN THAT.
Last edited by gbrookes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

gbrookes

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Deadline for Event 1 extended.

Stay tuned for some exciting news directly from Strat-O-Matic over the next 2 weeks, in connection with the 2012 Sweepstakes!!!

:)
Last edited by gbrookes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbrookes

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Phila01 wrote:
Can I still sign up for the 2012 Players Championshiop or is it to late?

GBrookes wrote:
It's not too late!

Please read the rules on page 1 of this thread, and please enter your team! We are currently filling Event 1 League 7. Basically, within some reasonable time frame (I will provide some notice), we will just keep filling up as many leagues are there are players for event 1. So, we could end up with 8, 9, 10 or 11 Event 1 leagues, if that many players sign up.

Jump in!
Last edited by gbrookes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbrookes

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 2:46 pm

tony best wrote:

do I have to have 5 teams already purchsed?

GBrookes wrote:

No, you just need to get 1 team into each event . There are timelines for each event, which range in dates over the next 2 months:

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/tournament/15

You only need to buy the teams at the time you want to enter your team for each event.
Last edited by gbrookes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbrookes

PostSat Sep 29, 2012 2:47 pm

GARYCOOK wrote:
Question ? Do we stay in the same group of players through each event, or are the teams mixed with the other leagues ?

GBrookes wrote:

There is only 1 team entry per player per event. For events 2 through 4, you could end up in the same league as a player in your event 1 league, but you don't "stay" with the same players for subsequent events. Basically, the signing up for each event is up to each player. I won't be controlling which league players sign up for within each event, and so the players that you end up with for events 2 through 4 will be mostly random. I will only intervene as commissioner in extreme situations (unlikely). So you are likely to have mostly different players in your own league for each event.

I encourage players to get their teams in for each event as soon as they can. There tends to be some drop off in players from event 1 to event 2, and with each subsequent event, as some players choose to withdraw. As a result, the later leagues (e.g. 6,7, or 8) tend to fill up more slowly than they do in event 1, and there is a need for volunteers to be "fillers" to fill up those leagues that are the later ones in each event. Since this can be a challenge, and can delay the tournament progress, I encourage all players to get their teams in as soon as possible within each event.

Thanks, and good luck!

KellysHeroes

Re: 2012 Sweeps communication thread - Q&A, misc

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 9:55 am

Can you have more than one team in each event? If so, do you get the total points for each team? I was wondering how the leader had 80 points already.

gbrookes

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am

KellysHeroes wrote:Can you have more than one team in each event? If so, do you get the total points for each team? I was wondering how the leader had 80 points already.

You can only officially play ONCE in each event. The first team you enter (i.e. the earliest league in that event that you entered) is the official team. All others are considered "fillers" - not official team entries for that event.

Event 2 will be starting in October. I will be giving further notice on that soon, to start later in October.

The leaderboard that is on the main page is not accurate, since it is including the records of filler teams as well as the official team entries. I will publish an update on the official leaderboard this week. I started a thread for that (on this player' championship board) about 10 days ago. I will update that this week.

jagman2882

Re: 2012 Sweeps communication thread - Q&A, misc

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 3:14 pm

is there a limit on RP innings as in past years?? i couldnt find a rule on the signup/rules thread.

thanks in advance!!

gbrookes

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 pm

jagman2882 wrote:is there a limit on RP innings as in past years?? i couldnt find a rule on the signup/rules thread.

thanks in advance!!

No, there isn't a limit or penalty for having a relief pitcher have more than 200 innings.

When I started the tournament this year I wanted to simplify the rules, and the administration on the rules. This is one change that I made to simplify the administration of the tournament.

Having said that, I encourage players to play within the spirit of the rules and the gaming system at all times. But there is no limit on IP for relief pitchers this year.
Last edited by gbrookes on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to --- Player's Championship