• Author

Jeepdriver

Re: 2022 PC Chat, Questions.....

PostFri Jan 20, 2023 8:43 pm

I asked twice. The last response said it was turned into the "higher ups."

chaberlal

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 1:43 am

Any news on the prizes for the winner...

Jeepdriver

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 10:07 am

Generally 2 Tickets to any MLB game of your choosing.

Not advertised, but if you prefer, you could negotiate the prize in credits. Seems like I got 7 Credits when I won a couple of years ago.

XHowser Jr.

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 7:35 pm

Jeepdriver wrote:Generally 2 Tickets to any MLB game of your choosing.

Not advertised, but if you prefer, you could negotiate the prize in credits. Seems like I got 7 Credits when I won a couple of years ago.

Yes, I lost in semi finals last year and got 4 credits.

Gilbo

Salary Floors: Something to Consider

PostSun Jun 25, 2023 4:46 pm

Regarding Salary Floors - This is a new Rule/Dynamic that it seems has maybe not been thought through adequately. I assume the reason for adding this rule is to safeguard against a team losing too much value where it upsets the Balance of power in a division. However, like so many things (especially in society & culture - I know, don't get me started) there are Unintended Consequences that are not considered when new ways of doing things come about...

With our 90% Salary Floor the unintended consequence is that some Legitimate Drop & Adds can exceed the amount allowed even when a GM is not losing much Team value. For instance, if you are Dropping a high price player for a much lower priced player to move in a different direction with your team, our automatic price floor takes certain moves off the table.
* I know some of you are so limited in the ways you look at Team make up you have no idea what I could possibly be referring to... Live a little guys, this is only a Game! Don't hold on so tightly that you mistakenly think you can't win unless you finish with the same players you started with - Talk about Boring!

Back to my Point - The Salary Floor limits what you can do with your Team that has nothing to do with the Balance of Power. I can always give examples if ones imagination is unduly stifled... LOL!

keyzick

Re: Salary Floors: Something to Consider

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 6:41 am

Gilbo wrote:Regarding Salary Floors - This is a new Rule/Dynamic that it seems has maybe not been thought through adequately. I assume the reason for adding this rule is to safeguard against a team losing too much value where it upsets the Balance of power in a division. However, like so many things (especially in society & culture - I know, don't get me started) there are Unintended Consequences that are not considered when new ways of doing things come about...

With our 90% Salary Floor the unintended consequence is that some Legitimate Drop & Adds can exceed the amount allowed even when a GM is not losing much Team value. For instance, if you are Dropping a high price player for a much lower priced player to move in a different direction with your team, our automatic price floor takes certain moves off the table.
* I know some of you are so limited in the ways you look at Team make up you have no idea what I could possibly be referring to... Live a little guys, this is only a Game! Don't hold on so tightly that you mistakenly think you can't win unless you finish with the same players you started with - Talk about Boring!

Back to my Point - The Salary Floor limits what you can do with your Team that has nothing to do with the Balance of Power. I can always give examples if ones imagination is unduly stifled... LOL!

Very good point. I’ve never run across it myself, but totally get what you’re saying. Seems more likely to happen when your shifting focus between hitting and pitching, where your adds and drops won’t immediately offset each other from a sal standpoint.

Gilbo

Re: PC Chat, Questions.....

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 11:40 am

Yes, in lower salary leagues it is more of an issue: With a $60M team, $6M is the margin from the start. So, If you wanted to lose an expensive hitter for a high priced pitcher there isn't much room to operate, especially if say you want to drop an expensive Catcher. For instance I dropped Realmuto at plus $7M, so it took other moves before I could get to a $6M Pitcher...

JimmyJames209

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 4:09 pm

If you are dropping enough guys that you are below, or making wholesale changes in ATG or 20XX sets…. You have already lost…. A 90 mil team is not as good as a 95 mil team …. ALWAYS…. only way a lower salary team wins is luck of dice.

I would rather keep the Chronic Droppers from destroying leagues… so much more important than extra flexibility so a guy switch his team from big hitting team to entirely new pitching first team and which will probably just make team worse.

Example: I did an ATG team to try to do the Stolen Base monthly contest… at 40 games I had a .450 team and was 20th in the contest… I decide to completely switch up team… at that point I had about 95% of original salary…. That .450 team became a .400 team.

I guess my point is ONLY in Mystery is dropping a player is beneficial.

MochaDog

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 6:15 pm

JimmyJames209 wrote:I guess my point is ONLY in Mystery is dropping a player is beneficial.

That's probably true a lot of the time, but certainly not all of the time. If you can identify particular issues with your team, identify them early enough in the season (say, before the 42-game increase in cost), and find solid changes to fix those problems, dropping a player (or more) can work out well, Recently I had a 2022 team that was 15-22 after 37 games. I got a pretty good idea of what the problem was, made a few changes, and the team went 71-54 the rest of the way.

TVF33

PostMon Aug 28, 2023 3:30 pm

I dropped an underperforming Aaron Judge and it put me below the salary floor. As a result, I had to make a series of other moves including picking up Arenado and immediately dropping him so that I did not violate the salary floor rule. I'm sure that those who implemented the rule had good intentions but it did not work in practice.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship