PC Pennant Race

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderator: Palmtana

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

waynick

  • Posts: 464
  • Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:06 pm

PC Pennant Race

PostFri Oct 08, 2021 10:48 am

It looks like it may take 355 to get into the final 36 this year. Usually 350 will do it but not this year, should be an interesting last few weeks.
Offline

randal64

  • Posts: 229
  • Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am

Re: PC Pennant Race (J-Pav?)

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm

Hey, was waiting on J-Pav's annual "who may make it, what are the scenarios?" :) I love playing the "what if" game there!

Or is it too early? Most of the PC5 leagues start playoffs tonight or tomorrow.
Offline

J-Pav

  • Posts: 1969
  • Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:53 pm
  • Location: Earth

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 10:42 pm

That wasn’t me, that was stevep.
Offline

B.L. Brown

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:03 am

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 1:01 am

By my calculations there are 9 players currently below the tie for 36th either projected or mathematically possible to finish above the current cutline of 350. I project either 355 or 356 to be the final cutline, higher than last year's 353.
Offline

randal64

  • Posts: 229
  • Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 2:24 pm

B.L. Brown wrote:By my calculations there are 9 players currently below the tie for 36th either projected or mathematically possible to finish above the current cutline of 350. I project either 355 or 356 to be the final cutline, higher than last year's 353.


There are only two leagues that have not finished. League 7 has 6 games, and League 8 has 15 games remaining.

I went through and assumed every team in the top 43 would win the majority of their games (4g in League 7, and 8g in League 8 (Except Terry101 that I assume 9 because his team is beating the Cr** out of everyone)) -- then all teams likely to make the playoffs, getting an average of 4 additional playoff wins and I get a 3 way tie for the #36 spot at 352 wins.

Also, there are currently 25 teams out of the top 43 still playing, with 15 in playoffs now, and 8 others potentially making playoffs in League 7 or 8. Anything can happen, but the fact that many of the top 40 teams play each other in the playoffs would seem to indicate some of those teams will not get too many extra wins. Very scientific huh??? LOL. At least that is my prediction.
Offline

Gilbo

  • Posts: 173
  • Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 am

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 pm

I sounds like you have figured some things out Randal but not sharing the full fruits of your labor! It appear that you are one of those who may move up several positions in a short time frame!

It will be fun to see who gets in and where everyone shake out in the final standings!
Offline

ScumbyJr

  • Posts: 1672
  • Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 am

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:51 am

Only checked the potential top 36, but I saw one re-use of a a stadium. However, it was on a non-filler team that was thrown out and did not count in the standings (not me BTW). The rules state- "You cannot impose a “penalty” on a team that does not count in the official standings anyway."

I assume no harm, no foul. Just luck the team did not count. Right?
Offline

randal64

  • Posts: 229
  • Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 am

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 12:56 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:Only checked the potential top 36, but I saw one re-use of a a stadium. However, it was on a non-filler team that was thrown out and did not count in the standings (not me BTW). The rules state- "You cannot impose a “penalty” on a team that does not count in the official standings anyway."

I assume no harm, no foul. Just luck the team did not count. Right?



I kind of disagree there. i.e.: If my PC2 team sucked, and I used a stadium, it wouldn't be fair to simply re-use that stadium later and have it count would it? I guess unless the stadium re-used was PC5 and that team was thrown out. Then it wouldn't really matter I suppose. At the end of the day, I don't really care anyway --- it is all supposed to be fun :)
Offline

ScumbyJr

  • Posts: 1672
  • Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 am

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:07 pm

randal64 wrote:
ScumbyJr wrote:Only checked the potential top 36, but I saw one re-use of a a stadium. However, it was on a non-filler team that was thrown out and did not count in the standings (not me BTW). The rules state- "You cannot impose a “penalty” on a team that does not count in the official standings anyway."

I assume no harm, no foul. Just luck the team did not count. Right?



I kind of disagree there. i.e.: If my PC2 team sucked, and I used a stadium, it wouldn't be fair to simply re-use that stadium later and have it count would it? I guess unless the stadium re-used was PC5 and that team was thrown out. Then it wouldn't really matter I suppose. At the end of the day, I don't really care anyway --- it is all supposed to be fun :)


The stadium was used in PC2 and re-used in PC4 which was thrown out. it does give a potentially slight advantage of having an extra BP to choose from. I leave it to the commish, but just pointing it out not suggesting any penalty.
Offline

J-Pav

  • Posts: 1969
  • Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:53 pm
  • Location: Earth

Re: PC Pennant Race

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 4:44 pm

My take on the penalty.

I believe the quote (which came from me) "You cannot impose a “penalty” on a team that does not count in the official standings anyway." was meant for filler teams reusing stadiums.

Having said that, my interpretation of the rule is that the team which incurs the penalty gets the 20 point penalty. It was not intended to be a penalty against the final score (best four teams). Since the team was Terry’s worst team and the score was dropped, there should be no further assessment.

The Commish may see it differently and you guys may see it differently. If anyone wants to open it up for discussion, you’re certainly welcome to. Adding a blurb to the rules for future clarity would probably not hurt.
Next

Return to --- Player's Championship

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest