2021 Vote for Finals CAP/DH/Draft Order

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

FrankieT

Re: 2021 Vote for Finals CAP/DH/Draft Order

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 8:57 pm

goffchile wrote:
FrankieT wrote: I ain't gonna bitch about being in the finals. It is a great group and I look forward to competing.

True dat. Whenever I am in a league and I see ANY of the names in this league, I think to myself, "Oh well, I guess I am not winning this one"--but nevertheless here I am. Looking forward to it as well.

cheers

labratory

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 9:10 pm

I agree that waivers is annoying because it makes us wait a day or two before we can start to adjust our rosters. But waivers has the advantage that everyone knows when the free agent pool opens for everyone.

When exactly does a frenzy start? Does it start right after the last pick is made? That would seem to give a jump to the person making the last pick because they could start making roster moves right away.
Others would not know when the frenzy starts, particularly if they set up the last few picks by proxy, and then walk away for a while.

FrankieT

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 pm

That's a great point, Lab, regarding waivers timing. I am good with whatever is decided.

MaxPower

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 9:22 pm

Interesting point. The current setting does say "Frenzy immediately after draft." I've never done a live draft before but I assume it means what it says (in auto-draft leagues the frenzy starts at 11pm on draft day).

I guess my question is how big of an advantage that would be, to be the first to "adjust"? Wouldn't most of those adjustments be happening during the draft itself? Again, I've never done a live draft before, just seems like if someone really wants a player in a live draft then he'll just...draft him. Everyone in the FA pool will have been deliberately passed on 25 times each by every manager, seems like first come first served is fine in that situation. But I'm open to hearing otherwise from folks with more live draft experience.

goffchile

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 9:37 pm

I suspect adjustments would be minor, but I could see making a pick to ensure I get a coveted guy, and then later switching gears once I see what is available in later rounds. It does not really matter to me either way as I assume the frenzy would be known in enough in advance.

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 pm

It means right after the last pick is made. You can make a case either way for whether frenzy or waivers is better. But I dont want to have a 12 person vote on every little nitpicky setting that is possible to be made. I feel certain that when Mark "choose" to get the 12th draft pick - that he didn't have this in mind. Or does the 25th pick in the draft roll back around to #1 ? Oy, I have a headache.

Only labrat to go and Nev. Lab - when are you going to put your team in ?

goffchile

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 9:41 pm

And most of the guys I pick no one wants anyway :lol:

MaxPower

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 10:23 pm

One other note about the settings that just occurred to me: currently the league is set to start on the first Monday that's at least 3 days after the draft. This is the normal setting for the rest of the Tour so as to synchronize the start dates for each league, but I'm not sure it makes sense for the final. Consider that if we start the draft on Friday and it takes 3 days, we'd then have an entire week between the end of the draft and Opening Night. Can't imagine a good reason for that week of dead time. I would advocate switching the setting to x days after the draft ends. 3 days, 2 days, even 1 day would probably be fine.

edit: man I just browsed last year's final...looks like they had a week between waivers and Opening Night, and I am flabbergasted by the number of transactions lol. It sounds excruciating!! What are all these people doing the during the draft if they need to make so many adjustments afterward??

labratory

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 pm

edit: man I just browsed last year's final...looks like they had a week between waivers and Opening Night, and I am flabbergasted by the number of transactions lol. It sounds excruciating!! What are all these people doing the during the draft if they need to make so many adjustments afterward??

Basically managing the cap. In a live draft I always end up with $110 million dollars worth of players. Then you realize you can't afford a few of your starters and need to make decisions about how to get it back to $100. I'm sure it's a lot easier in an unlimited cap league.

mighty moose

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 11:39 pm

No more settings changes. Move on. You'll all be playing under the same conditions.

We are just trying to round up Nev now then I will get SOM to set the correct draft order. Some have indicated they cannot start before Friday evening, so that will be the earliest start date.

Divisions will be randomized. Can't recall if that's before or after the draft but I think it should be before and if it isn't, I will engage SOM to throw that switch too.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour