Semifinals groupings

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

watershark1967

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 12:39 pm

The carryover of points was proposed by Dougess on page 4 (and seconded by The Last Druid). Proposal was to carry over the points at 1/5 the value and then add to the points earned in the semis to determine who goes to the finals.
Offline

mighty moose

  • Posts: 2222
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 12:44 pm


austinmdavidson wrote:(Except the seeding you posted makes me physically queasy, truly a sin against god.)

(Yes I am just this neurotic, just be glad you don't have to live inside my head.)


You're the #1 seed. With the #1 draft pick. A bye directly to the finals. It does not affect you in any way. Serpentine seeding isn't necessary and isn't going to happen.


Offline

mighty moose

  • Posts: 2222
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 12:45 pm

watershark1967 wrote:The carryover of points was proposed by Dougess on page 4 (and seconded by The Last Druid). Proposal was to carry over the points at 1/5 the value and then add to the points earned in the semis to determine who goes to the finals.


Rejected. Too much of a change. Not going to happen.
Offline

stevea47

  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Just thanks for all you do.
Offline

MaxPower

  • Posts: 403
  • Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 9:05 pm

mighty moose wrote:
austinmdavidson wrote:(Except the seeding you posted makes me physically queasy, truly a sin against god.)

(Yes I am just this neurotic, just be glad you don't have to live inside my head.)


You're the #1 seed. With the #1 draft pick. A bye directly to the finals. It does not affect you in any way. Serpentine seeding isn't necessary and isn't going to happen.



It doesn't affect anyone in any way, it's just the correct way to seed any bracket, and no more difficult to implement than the incorrect method that you posted.
Offline

kunkel40

  • Posts: 552
  • Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 9:18 pm

I see the credit is in my account as of today.
Offline

mighty moose

  • Posts: 2222
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 9:22 pm

Yes, I was also informed that all credits are posted. I will be composing a general loading email and then the invites will go out.
Offline

mighty moose

  • Posts: 2222
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 10:38 pm

INVITES have gone out. Semi-Final league loading has begun.
Offline

FrankieT

  • Posts: 809
  • Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 am
  • Location: Usually Somewhere Else

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 4:08 am

austinmdavidson wrote:
mighty moose wrote:
austinmdavidson wrote:(Except the seeding you posted makes me physically queasy, truly a sin against god.)

(Yes I am just this neurotic, just be glad you don't have to live inside my head.)


You're the #1 seed. With the #1 draft pick. A bye directly to the finals. It does not affect you in any way. Serpentine seeding isn't necessary and isn't going to happen.



It doesn't affect anyone in any way, it's just the correct way to seed any bracket, and no more difficult to implement than the incorrect method that you posted.


Funny way of saying thank you to a volunteer for his time. Until someone else runs the tournament, I’d say the only person who decides what is difficult to implement, or correct, is the guy implementing it.

And a serpentine is based on assuaging a concern that the standings are precise, accurate reflections of some perceived quantifiably measurable chance of advancing, versus a non-serpentine approach.

Many of us gave input for next year. Most of us will accept whatever is decided because it applies to everyone and is announced up front.

As for correctness, i think you are more sure than correct. But we all have our opinions.
Offline

MaxPower

  • Posts: 403
  • Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 am

FrankieT wrote:Until someone else runs the tournament, I’d say the only person who decides what is difficult to implement, or correct, is the guy implementing it.

This might be a better argument if this was the first tournament in the history of the world. But it's not, and we can look at basically every other tournament in existence and see serpentine seeding being used. Honestly it's the most basic, fundamental concept underlying any tournament.
FrankieT wrote:And a serpentine is based on assuaging a concern that the standings are precise, accurate reflections of some perceived quantifiably measurable chance of advancing, versus a non-serpentine approach.

There's not even really such a thing as a non-serpentine approach? Like one that is used in the real world and has pros and cons compared to serpentine? There's just serpentine, and wrong. Those are the two options.
FrankieT wrote:Many of us gave input for next year. Most of us will accept whatever is decided because it applies to everyone and is announced up front.

As for correctness, i think you are more sure than correct. But we all have our opinions.

I'm fully accepting the decision, I'm just pointing out that it's incorrect. I start from the assumption that other people love being correct as much as I do. Unfortunately, that was not the case here. For whatever reason, Moose preferred the incorrect method. Which is fine! But that doesn't change its incorrectness.

Like, add up the seeds in each league using Moose's method, and you get three different sums. Serpentine, you get equal sums in each league. Again, just basic, basic concepts here. Completely uncontroversial fundamentals of structuring a tournament. So basic that there are no real substantive counterarguments to be made. Rather, the likeliest reasons to knowingly choose the incorrect method are related to ego or interpersonal dynamics. Which again, no harm no foul, because none of this actually matters. But yeah, I don't agree that Moose choosing it makes it correct by definition. That's a rather authoritarian mindset. The correctness exists outside of the choice, it can be perceived by anyone regardless of which method is chosen.

I still appreciate all the work Moose does for the Tour, even if he is oddly preferring an incorrect seeding in this instance. The only reasons I'm compelled to comment on the incorrectness are I (a) am insufferable, (b) love being correct, and (c) can't help myself. Those are all important points to keep in mind through all of this. Hope that helps.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest