Semifinals groupings

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

freeman

Re: Semifinals groupings

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:20 pm

mighty moose wrote:Just because I am seeing so many things that I am not sure I am following, the proposal below is being clarified.

The 12-24-24-24 format changes those that get the bye directly to the finals as Top 8
9-20 to play in a 12-team semifinal with the WS winner getting spot #9
21-93 go into (3) 24 team semifinal with the WS winner getting spots #10-#11-#12

You can TALK about Top 6 and 6 semifinals - but IMHO this is too drastic of a change and has no chance of gaining hold.

MM

Fair enough. I have a lot of fun under the existing rules, anyway. Thanks for a great job running things again!

coachprbb

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 9:11 am

I personally don't think you change anything as far as the groupings go...play it as it lies...

I appreciate this tourney and I have had a lot of fun, watching the rankings every day and seeing whether i gained or lost ground. I am happy to be in the mid 30s for my first attempt. Hopefully I can improve in the next one.

Coach

malamutt2002

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 10:38 am

I like the recommendation of 6 byes and 6 12 team semis. Everyone seems to want the higher seeds to get something, so could the semis be run like the finals, so that the higher seeded players get to pick draft position, or at least a guaranteed player going into autodraft, or a unique ballpark no other manager in that league is allowed? I realize this is more work to set up (sorry Moose, and thanks for all you already do) but it would allow the higher the seed an advantage going into their semi.

mighty moose

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 12:08 pm

I will send an email to the board on the Top 6 / 6 semi idea but I know that my vote will be no. I just think that's too drastic of a change. There needs to be a reward for those skilled players that have a consistent number of great seasons in all caps. The 6 qualifying events exposes that. I would favor the Top 8 / 12/24/24/24 OR keeping it the way it is. Maybe it's best to just poll the board for which of those they prefer, and add NEITHER - leave as is to the mix. I'm hearing that from a lot of people so far. But the board can completely cancel out my opinion as I only vote to break a tie. It's happened before.

MM

STEVE F

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 12:11 pm

I like any proposal that minimizes the use of 24 team leagues. Not a fan of the 24 team league.

mighty moose

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 1:11 pm

Well of course you know why it was done. Before COVID we had around 100 participants. Now we have well over 200 for this last 2 years and of course SOM is now "promoting" all of the Tournaments with banner ads and possibly an email campaign and/or mailing list. If we didn't do that, the dropout rate would be massive. This gives people a "dream" - a "chance" and with any stadium being allowed in the semi's, can bring their favorite team. I didn't see any other option.

If the number of participants drops back down, this would certainly impact the format.
Previous

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour